Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Donniebjr
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

So I'm trying to isolate a no boot, no LED flash, I plan on repining the board and redoing the connectors but trying to see if the solenoid board is any good first. All the high voltage points are good, but both 5v's are dead, and when I checked the 11.9 it was good. As a temp fix I pulled the board, reflowed and brass brushed the pins, I burnished all the females and put it all back together, and again have the same thing, 0 on the 5v's and 11.9 on 5, but then I watched the tp5 go from 11.9 all the way to 0, and now its dead too. High volts are all still good. Is this the c23 c29 c24 or the e-710 maybe, I don't want to just throw a bunch of parts at it, or could this just be a pin and wire problem?

PS all the rectifier points read good, before and after the voltage drop on tp5

PSS right before I went to post this I said, ah hell, lets check the back of the 12 pin and see if there is juice, and there was, 11.9 and saw a little spark when I touched the back of the lead, stuck a toothpick in and TP5 is holding at 11.9, (yes I know this is not a permanent fix but still dead on the 5v's

#2 3 years ago

The 5V regulator has probably died. Non-fake replacements are hard to come by, but you can replace it with a PSU5. It's a drop-in replacement, but requires a couple of small changes to the board which are described in Pinwiki.

https://www.ezsbc.com/index.php/psu5.html#.XumsGUVKhPY

Also, the header pins do not respond well to being burnished or sanded. Once the plating is gone, the connections will be unreliable. Replace the header and repin the connector. You'll probably be doing a lot of this in the head.

#3 3 years ago

The 12v test point should measure like +15v to +18v. If you are reading 11.9v that normally means the driver board c23 12000uF filter cap is out of circuit. Most common reason this happens is the isolated 12v unreg return wire burns up.

Bally game so............ Connectors connectors connectors.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

Non-fake replacements are hard to come by

True, but they can be found here ebay.com link: itm

#5 3 years ago

I got a 5v from some old stock, ordered all the caps on that line, also ordered pins and connectors, will see if this all works. will update. Thanks!

#6 3 years ago

ok, so replaced the 5v, I did the 3 recommended board mods since I had it out, I redid the connectors, still waiting for the heads but I went ahead and plugged it in to test it out and.... no 5v on 1 or 3. what am I missing, I mean I get the heads could be bad but I reflowed them, burnished, they should be able to hold to a quick test no? Is there anything else?

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from Donniebjr:

ok, so replaced the 5v, I did the 3 recommended board mods since I had it out, I redid the connectors, still waiting for the heads but I went ahead and plugged it in to test it out and.... no 5v on 1 or 3. what am I missing, I mean I get the heads could be bad but I reflowed them, burnished, they should be able to hold to a quick test no? Is there anything else?

probably missing the 12v unreg return. It is isolated from the typical ground on the driver board. very common for this to be burned up on one or both ends, rectifier or SDB.

What is the resistance measurement from C23 driver board filter cap negative lead to the mounting screw on the driver board? Should be basically zero resistance when the top right connector is on.

Check on Pin Wiki the "ground mods". They sure up the grounds on the driver board which works around the bad 12 unreg return problem often.

#8 3 years ago

I did the ground mods earlier when I had the board out, I have the heads off right now I'll check the resistance on c23 return when I get the new heads on and board back in - anyone have suggestions on crimpers? the one I have did alright, but so bulky to hold in that tight of a spot, just awkward, If I'm doing the rest of this PIN I need something more nimble.

#9 3 years ago

Perhaps its just me, but I have no idea what manufacturer or generation board set you are even working on.

#10 3 years ago

Bally BLACK JACK solid state, all the original boards

#11 3 years ago

ok so whilst putting in the new heads I found 3 breaks in the copper on the PCB right at the heads, roughed up the copper, tin'd it and jumper'd them to the pins. also replaced the cap near the 1 3 and 5 test points, popped in the board got 5v, so plugged in the MPU and bingo I got all 7 lights and the bells went off. Displays are all messed up, and cant figure out how to get the thing to start playing, but that'll be a new post after I do some searching. Thanks!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-5v-on-tp-1-or-3-and-literaly-watched-5-go-from-119-to-0- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.