IMG_9146 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9147 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
TP_NE_Boss_8Gashadokuro_V01 (resized).jpg
TP_NE_Boss_5Tengu_V01 (resized).jpg
IMG_0115 (resized).png
There are 225 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 39 days ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Well i know it LOOKS way more Chinese than Japanese, but i don't know the intent. Hence, asking if the goal was just a generally Asian look rather than straight japanese.

It takes place in Japan generally before 1851, which is when the Iga clan was destroyed. Some of the costume design I took liberties on, and I didn’t stress too much about being absolutely historically correct, but it is definitely Japanese. I studied Japanese in school, lived in Japan for a short time, and did a lot of research for this project. One awesome thing about this project was being able to watch, and take inspiration from, my favorite Japanese movies, new and old.

There is Chinese text (on the back glass for example) but that is text that would have been in circulation in Japan at that time (like the art of war, which is what some of the text on the backglass is).

If there are questions you have about specific visuals, I’d love to answer them.

Also, speaking of the text, we hired Alex Turner (unrelated to Chris lol), to do the calligraphy on the machine, and he knocked it out of the park! He’s a fantastic calligrapher, a linguist, a poet, fluent in Chinese, lived in Taiwan for a time, knows a great deal about Asian history and culture in general, and I couldn’t be happier with the work he provided.

#152 39 days ago
Quoted from DOOOMTRAIN:

It takes place in Japan generally before 1851, which is when the Iga clan was destroyed. Some of the costume design I took liberties on, and I didn’t stress too much about being absolutely historically correct, but it is definitely Japanese. I studied Japanese in school, lived in Japan for a short time, and did a lot of research for this project. One awesome thing about this project was being able to watch, and take inspiration from, my favorite Japanese movies, new and old.
There is Chinese text (on the back glass for example) but that is text that would have been in circulation in Japan at that time (like the art of war, which is what some of the text on the backglass is).
If there are questions you have about specific visuals, I’d love to answer them.
Also, speaking of the text, we hired Alex Turner (unrelated to Chris lol), to do the calligraphy on the machine, and he knocked it out of the park! He’s a fantastic calligrapher, a linguist, fluent in Chinese, lived in Taiwan for a time, knows a great deal about Asian history and culture in general, and I couldn’t be happier with the work he provided.

Thanks.

#153 39 days ago

Another boss I'm excited about is the Gashadokuro. It is a giant skeleton that has the power to raise up other skeletons of fallen warriors, and, in this case, the power to extinguish light.

During this mode, hitting the castle drop target is like breaking the bones of the Gashadokuro. During this fight, you can choose to end it quickly by bashing the drop target repeatedly, or try to build your jackpot value by defeating the smaller skeleton minions, represented by the SAMURAI stand up targets.

At the beginning of the battle, playfield light is heavily reduced. Hitting any of the SAMURAI stand up targets restores a bit of light to the playfield. Hit all 7, and the playfield light returns to full. Each one of these targets hit raises the final boss jackpot value a bit, and completion of SAMURAI raises it more.

This dynamic lighting wasn't as noticeable at TPF since the room lighting was pretty bright, but I'm excited for you to see it in a darker, spooky environment.

There are two phases to every boss, except for the Tengu. In this case, when you get to phase 2, the playfield dims again, and you must repeat the same process as phase 1: hitting the drop target, or SAMURAI stand ups.

Also, we are filming gameplay video today, and hope to have it done as soon as possible for you.

TP_NE_Boss_8Gashadokuro_V01 (resized).jpgTP_NE_Boss_8Gashadokuro_V01 (resized).jpg
#154 38 days ago

Kind of funny that manufacturing history aside (which can be acquired) that they beat out American Pinball just pure product vs product. Seems the only thing left to checkbox is sales. Haven't heard any specs on the speakers, which are a hidden product, but that they are premium speakers that I guess cost a lot? You might want to actually push that salespitch since it's a non-obvious part of the machine to value or evaluate because we can't hear them over the internet. Are they Pinwoofers or something people already know and can place value on by name?

No reason it needed super expensive speakers and powder coating. Would make sense to think about offering a version without those options, or any other cuts if it can impact the pricing enough. There are collectors and then there are casuals. Millions of Stern Pro buyers seem to not care about powder coating. I would think a Ninja unlicensed game is a aimed as a casual product and undercutting a Stern pro would be beneficial. Still confused as this is the discount version and with zero changes, the price will be automatically bumped up after early access first 100 discount(?). Might need to be flexible on that concept and stick it out at $7k. The company pillar is competitive prices but you are steering into Stern Premium territory with no sculpts or unique mechs.

Seems to be on a good path, but when seeing the prior $10k pricetag choice, that only 1 person in the world thought made sense....don't fuck it up. The product is gaining traction at $7k. If you haven't sold out of the first 100, then it isn't even 100% proven at $7k just yet, then why are there plans to increase pricing? The only reason people threw hate was strictly the price, and there is still this lingering concern about you going back to work every day "Yea but our game is actually worth $10k" again.

#155 38 days ago
Quoted from cookpins:

I get some Disney style art vibes.

The animation style from Mulan is always what comes to my mind first.

#157 38 days ago

Gameplay footage is here! Collier will take you through the game, and show you how this thing flips.

We had a really great experience at TPF; feedback was very positive about the game, and we’re excited to bring this to those of you who couldn’t be there.

Edit: Oh, lol you already posted it

#158 38 days ago

Wow, looking good!!

#159 37 days ago

Gameplay and layout look great.
Well done! Wasn't really expecting it to look that good. Looking forward to playing one now.

#160 37 days ago

Looks really solid. Congrats on making an original theme that just works.

#161 37 days ago

I only got a few minutes into the video and I can't stop laughing every time I hear him mention that you can get a Commie Ally. I know it's actually Kami, but I can't help thinking it sounds like a Cold War theme game when he says that lol

#162 37 days ago

I played this multiple times at TPF and is a fun game. The theme is nice and seems well thought out. Layout was fun. I suck at pinball so would need more time to try more but I am impressed.

The team are all super nice and passionate as well!

#163 37 days ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I only got a few minutes into the video and I can't stop laughing every time I hear him mention that you can get a Commie Ally. I know it's actually Kami, but I can't help thinking it sounds like a Cold War theme game when he says that lol

lol! Same! Good thing they’re Japanese and not Chinese.

#164 37 days ago

Just watched the gameplay footage, it was very good - What a difference from last year TPF to this year. Excellent work Chris and team!

#165 37 days ago

Only thing it's missing is some epic/ memorable music instead of the bland Oriental riff variation background.
Game looks really good.

#166 37 days ago

I played the game at TPF and talked extensively with the team. They pulled out the playfield and showed me the in and outs of the game. The team is very friendly and seem very genuine. Personally out of all of the new machines at the event this one surprised me the most. For a first machine from a new manufacturer this is pretty damn good. It has a great theme and storytelling and the machine had some really good shots in it. Between what Barrels of Fun and Turner are doing my faith in other companies other than Stern is on the upswing. I would put this game in the same catagory as any JJP, Spooky or American Pinball any day. I will admit that there should have been a button for the lockdown bar as there are a lot of selectable features in this game. There should at least be coding to hit the start button to enter your initials instead of double flip, and there needs to be more instructional messaging on display like collected x # of jackpots to get to super or more intuitive information so that you know how close you are to finishing modes. But honestly this is a game I would be very interested in, if they had them ready to go might have even pulled the trigger right there. The days of preordering for a boutique pinball machine are done for me and unless they are proven to have it in stock and ready to ship I won’t be a buyer. Great job and I wish them all the success.

#167 37 days ago
Quoted from pins4life33:

I played the game at TPF and talked extensively with the team. They pulled out the playfield and showed me the in and outs of the game. The team is very friendly and seem very genuine. Personally out of all of the new machines at the event this one surprised me the most. For a first machine from a new manufacturer this is pretty damn good. It has a great theme and storytelling and the machine had some really good shots in it. Between what Barrels of Fun and Turner are doing my faith in other companies other than Stern is on the upswing. I would put this game in the same catagory as any JJP, Spooky or American Pinball any day. I will admit that there should have been a button for the lockdown bar as there are a lot of selectable features in this game. There should at least be coding to hit the start button to enter your initials instead of double flip, and there needs to be more instructional messaging on display like collected x # of jackpots to get to super or more intuitive information so that you know how close you are to finishing modes. But honestly this is a game I would be very interested in, if they had them ready to go might have even pulled the trigger right there. The days of preordering for a boutique pinball machine are done for me and unless they are proven to have it in stock and ready to ship I won’t be a buyer. Great job and I wish them all the success.

I kinda agree with most of this, but they have to prove they can manufacture and get games out in a reasonably timely manner, that are also reasonably reliable before I am willing to fully put them in line with other manufacturers who can and do produce games already. The prototype stuff seems promising, but thats nothing new. No major alarm bells ringing just yet, but getting games out the door is always the biggest hurdle.

#168 37 days ago

After watching the game play video, I am liking the direction of this game. After my Haggis experience I can’t currently commit until games are in boxes and ready to ship like BoF did.

#169 36 days ago

DOOOMTRAIN Are you guys going to come out to other shows? We have the Golden State Pinball Festival coming up in May over here on the west coast. Would love to flip this game.

#170 36 days ago
Quoted from 8bitrobo:

DOOOMTRAIN Are you guys going to come out to other shows? We have the Golden State Pinball Festival coming up in May over here on the west coast. Would love to flip this game.

We'll definitely be at Expo, and we're considering some others too, but we haven't made any final decisions yet.

#171 36 days ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I've been sandbagging since opening day. - Let's get this Samurai party started.
.[quoted image]

Was this because of my review posted on Facebook ?

#172 36 days ago

Looks fun, but scoring seems really low?

Scooby instantly became a better game once scoring was adjusted.

I think it was Wayne Neyens back in the 1950's that recognised the fact that players felt better scoring millions, thus the arrival of million point games.

Gotta make the brain feel like it's getting a big reward

#173 36 days ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I think it was Wayne Neyens back in the 1950's that recognised the fact that players felt better scoring millions, thus the arrival of million point games.

Thanks for bringing that up. It's actually already on our list, and we'll have some scoring adjustments to get it closer to what's standard in most games.

#174 36 days ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

For as odd as that sounds, one of our pins had low scoring numbers and it drove my wife nuts. If they would have added a zero on the end of the score, she would have been fine with the pin.

#175 36 days ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Was this because of my review posted on Facebook ?

You crack me up, Jason.

My Turner receipt shows deposit was made on March 13th and my Pinside comment along with it, was posted on the 16th. Your FB review was great to read, but you posted it on the 17th.

No cigar my friend.

BTW. Are you now going to get a Turner Tattoo to match your JJ?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#176 36 days ago

Gotta say after seeing the gameplay vid, this game is looking like great fun, and I'm officially intrigued. Good job guys!

#177 36 days ago
Quoted from Mr68:

You crack me up, Jason.
My Turner receipt shows deposit was made on March 13th and my Pinside comment along with it, was posted on the 16th. Your FB review was great to read, but you posted it on the 17th.
No cigar my friend.
BTW. Are you now going to get a Turner Tattoo to match your JJ?

[quoted image]

You are behind tattoo updates…
Here’s my Spooky
IMG_9146 (resized).jpegIMG_9146 (resized).jpegIMG_9147 (resized).jpegIMG_9147 (resized).jpeg

#178 35 days ago

This was a game I enjoyed quite a bit at Expo last year but had a few issues that seemed to have been addressed with the latest demo at TPF.

Two things of note:

Only a phone number is available on the website, no email or contact form is available on the Turner Pinball website. I would like to reach out but a call seems a little unnecessary.

The sculpts that were present at Expo seem to be gone from the latest units which is sad because they were extremely well done and made the game feel a little less flat. Maybe offer these as a set sold separately? I'd be sold if the sculpts were going to be available.

Video showing the machine with the sculpts present:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#179 35 days ago

On the right side of the screen during every boss mode, there is a vertical string of 7 symbols. These 7 symbols correspond to the 2" triangular inserts on the playfield. At the beginning of a boss mode, if you hit this sequence in order (top to bottom), and without hitting anything else, you will instantly defeat the boss, and get a giant reward. The second to last shot is always the Sword Ramp, and the last shot is always the Critical Hit newton ball.

It's super hard, and meant to be something for players looking for a real challenge. Even if you fail, there is still a large reward for defeating a boss under a time limit (this time limit has easy, medium, and hard adjustment settings).

Originally, these instant combos were going to be a secret that we wanted people to discover at some point, but we decided against that in the end.
TP_NE_Boss_8Gashadokuro_V02 (resized).jpgTP_NE_Boss_8Gashadokuro_V02 (resized).jpg
Oh, and the only exception to the 7 shot sequence is the final boss. The instant kill sequence for Oni Nisshoku requires 10 shots (8 sword ramp combos)
TP_NE_Boss_9Nisshoku_24_03_22_V01 (resized).jpgTP_NE_Boss_9Nisshoku_24_03_22_V01 (resized).jpg

#180 35 days ago

Is there some sort of insert lighting to help guide the player on the order? That seems very hard to discern if you aren’t familiar with Japanese characters

#181 35 days ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

After watching the game play video, I am liking the direction of this game. After my Haggis experience I can’t currently commit until games are in boxes and ready to ship like BoF did.

I think people give BOF a little too much credit. They had 10 machines ready to go, and then immediately took $1000 deposits on 500+ orders within some days and 6 months later they are on around #140.. I mean that's not nothing, but they haven't proved they can ramp to 1k a year, and they're still doing the $1k non refundable deposit with long wait that everyone else is.

#182 35 days ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

I think people give BOF a little too much credit. They had 10 machines ready to go, and then immediately took $1000 deposits on 500+ orders within some days and 6 months later they are on around #140.. I mean that's not nothing, but they haven't proved they can ramp to 1k a year, and they're still doing the $1k non refundable deposit with long wait that everyone else is.

That’s still a pretty good rate for a new company. It took Spooky like 18 months to do their first 150. Then 18 months to do about 300 on their next title. Its taken Haggis over 2 years and counting to do less than 250 Fathoms. It’s a slow ramp up to build a sustainable line. The beast must be continuously feed at it scales up

People are going to be waiting a while on these new games too as they figure out manufacturing

#183 35 days ago

I love seeing/reading stories like this where a team is nearly pointed at, laughed at, and thrown to the curb; only to turn it around a full 180 deg exactly one year later. Really rooting for them to move to the next level. That said and keeping things real, how do they plan to build and manufacture 100 games or more adequately? Was it discussed and/or are they tooled up to manufacture?

#184 33 days ago
Quoted from dpadam450:

Kind of funny that manufacturing history aside (which can be acquired) that they beat out American Pinball just pure product vs product. Seems the only thing left to checkbox is sales. Haven't heard any specs on the speakers, which are a hidden product, but that they are premium speakers that I guess cost a lot? You might want to actually push that salespitch since it's a non-obvious part of the machine to value or evaluate because we can't hear them over the internet. Are they Pinwoofers or something people already know and can place value on by name?
No reason it needed super expensive speakers and powder coating. Would make sense to think about offering a version without those options, or any other cuts if it can impact the pricing enough. There are collectors and then there are casuals. Millions of Stern Pro buyers seem to not care about powder coating. I would think a Ninja unlicensed game is a aimed as a casual product and undercutting a Stern pro would be beneficial. Still confused as this is the discount version and with zero changes, the price will be automatically bumped up after early access first 100 discount(?). Might need to be flexible on that concept and stick it out at $7k. The company pillar is competitive prices but you are steering into Stern Premium territory with no sculpts or unique mechs.
Seems to be on a good path, but when seeing the prior $10k pricetag choice, that only 1 person in the world thought made sense....don't fuck it up. The product is gaining traction at $7k. If you haven't sold out of the first 100, then it isn't even 100% proven at $7k just yet, then why are there plans to increase pricing? The only reason people threw hate was strictly the price, and there is still this lingering concern about you going back to work every day "Yea but our game is actually worth $10k" again.

Wow, I totally missed that those beautiful sculpts are gone! I have a feeling not only a cost thing but maybe the ball was just busting them up.

#185 33 days ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I love seeing/reading stories like this where a team is nearly pointed at, laughed at, and thrown to the curb; only to turn it around a full 180 deg exactly one year later. Really rooting for them to move to the next level. That said and keeping things real, how do they plan to build and manufacture 100 games or more adequately? Was it discussed and/or are they tooled up to manufacture?

Agreed. But that's all due to listening to customer feedback. Other companies should take note.

#186 32 days ago
Quoted from Garrett:

Agreed. But that's all due to listening to customer feedback. Other companies should take note.

And having a physical game on display and playable.

#187 32 days ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Is there some sort of insert lighting to help guide the player on the order? That seems very hard to discern if you aren’t familiar with Japanese characters

Right now there isn’t, but it may be something we add later as we get more feedback from players.

On one hand, I like the idea of not holding the players hand, and challenging the player (since this is for advanced players anyway), but on the other hand, it may lead to a worse experience. At the moment, I like the idea of players having to commit the sequence to memory, do some planning, and a bit of research like a ninja would. We'll see how it’s received and adjust if necessary.

#188 32 days ago
Quoted from DOOOMTRAIN:

Right now there isn’t, but it may be something we add later as we get more feedback from players.
On one hand, I like the idea of not holding the players hand, and challenging the player (since this is for advanced players anyway), but on the other hand, it may lead to a worse experience. At the moment, I like the idea of players having to commit the sequence to memory, do some planning, and a bit of research like a ninja would. We'll see how it’s received and adjust if necessary.

Maybe you could make it a game setting like easy/medium/hard game rule installs? They just seem like a pretty long combo chain to memorize for a lot of different battles. But it does give a home owner more depth to learn and explore, so I can see that logic as well. I'm sure with enough time you'd figure out which character is which shot. Lighting/blinking the inserts would be helpful for flow combo'ing it though.

#189 32 days ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Maybe you could make it a game setting like easy/medium/hard game rule installs? They just seem like pretty long combo chains to memorize for a lot of battles. But it does give a home owner more depth to learn and explore, so I can see that logic as well.

An adjustment setting would be an excellent compromise.

#190 32 days ago

Chris and I will be on a livestream of PDubs Arcade Loft tomorrow at 7pm Central, 6pm MT. We’ll be chatting all about Turner Pinball, and Ninja Eclipse. It’s gonna be a good time, so come check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/live/1yNwVr8qhtQ?si=eGEH3u5ePDRVU0aP
IMG_7354 (resized).jpegIMG_7354 (resized).jpeg

#191 32 days ago

I had a lot of fun with it at TPF. I went back to it multiple times, tagged both high score boards, and played a fairly long game with Bowen. The lock shot is my favorite shot in the game. It's tight, but it's smooth. I like a game where multiball isn't practically started for you, so having the game's most demanding shot be the one to award locks is a good touch.

The scoop-to-scoop-to upper flipper combo is nice. It's reminiscent of a ninja doing wall jumps and hitting that side ramp to complete the series feels great, especially if you end up getting a few loops to up that playfield multiplier.

I think a lot of people will be pleasantly surprised by just how solid it feels and how smoothly it shoots when they get actual hands on time with it. It doesn't feel homebrew and it compares well against other modern pins. My only real critique would be to make it play a little shorter, but in a home environment that can be accomplished with some tweaks.

#192 32 days ago

What did Bowen think?

#193 32 days ago
Quoted from DOOOMTRAIN:

At the moment, I like the idea of players having to commit the sequence to memory, do some planning, and a bit of research like a ninja would. We'll see how it’s received and adjust if necessary.

Lazy Ninja here.

Memory, research and planning would interfere with my real world escapism and Happy Hour mentality.

#194 32 days ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

What did Bowen think?

About the same as me. He felt it had an interesting layout and shots. It could definitely use some shorter ball times, but when you're Bowen few games offer low ball times.

#195 32 days ago

It is a longer player but from what I seen there are adjustments that can be made to make it harder for sure as I was wondering the same thing. The slings were not that sensitive and I am sure the kickback could be put on hard and extra balls removed. The normal player is not Bowen, and the average player does like a longer game so as long as the machine is adjustable to make it harder that works for me being a competitive player and a TD. I would never play a stock JAWS either every Stern I need to bastardize too.

Quoted from jar155:

About the same as me. He felt it had an interesting layout and shots. It could definitely use some shorter ball times, but when you're Bowen few games offer low ball times.

#196 32 days ago

The kickback to scoop to scoop to flipper is interesting. Kinda surprised they didn’t have a ramp and diverter to purposefully feed that system, like a Hobbit or Whirlwind or Funhouse. Just to show it off more than as a very complex ball save.

#197 31 days ago

Chris and I will be live here in an hour, so come check it out! We’ll chat about Ninja Eclipse n sweet pinball stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/live/1yNwVr8qhtQ?si=eGEH3u5ePDRVU0aP

IMG_7370 (resized).jpegIMG_7370 (resized).jpeg
#198 31 days ago

Checked out the PDubs interview and I’m really hoping you succeed. The game and artwork looks great and you can tell how hard the team is trying to make it work. Hopefully they work to get these on location and get people playing them. I can’t go in on a brand new company sight unseen, but I do hope to get to play one some day and judge for myself.

#199 31 days ago
Quoted from Coyote:

And having a physical game on display and playable.

And BoF last year. No way people were going to take a $10,000 Ninja vs a $10,000 BoF given a side by side comparison. Turner listened to customer feedback, but knew they had no chance given the new competition. Good job adjusting..

#200 31 days ago
Quoted from tgarrett09:

I can’t go in on a brand new company sight unseen, but I do hope to get to play one some day and judge for myself.

I can appreciate that and its reasonable to be cautious. For me, I've been fortunate in my life and I like to support new pinball.
Sure I'm taking a risk but so is Turner Pinball whom I've met and interacted with personally at TPF and in private emails.

And for the record, I was one of the people that warned against Deeproot Pinball, of which Turner has evolved from.

Certainly my risk is calculated but right now I'm feeling confident. Stay tuned.

There are 225 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ninja-eclipse-hype-thread/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.