(Topic ID: 24791)

NIB Tron opening today... found wierd lock down system...

By Deadlander

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Underspin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0657.JPG
    IMG_0658.JPG
    #1 11 years ago

So I unboxed my NIB tron today. Following the directions and started to look for the yellow handle to unlock the lock down bar and couldn't find one... Stuck my head in the cab and found two latches on either side that held down the lock down bar. Now I've been collecting 80-90 B&Ws and new sterns since 2000 and have never seen this system. Is this a European method or was this destined to a really bad neighborhood. The build date was 8/11/11 SN 235397 said decals on the box but is screen printed. Any insight on this weird system...
    Thanks
    Al

IMG_0658.JPGIMG_0658.JPG IMG_0657.JPGIMG_0657.JPG

#2 11 years ago

This is the new stern cost cut lock down. I think its been put in all pro models since iron man

#3 11 years ago

That is the Arcade game method. Some corners should never be cut. IMO

#4 11 years ago

It's just part of Sterns cheap, cost cutting Bull Shit.

#5 11 years ago

I like it better......No rocking lock bars....

#6 11 years ago

I don't mind the new lock down bar. Nothing to get in the way of me closing the coin door.

If I had the choice, I would take the traditional style though.

#7 11 years ago

Thanks for the quick responses... Well at least they could fix their set up instructions so your not looking for something that is not there.... Very frustrating 60 seconds... Fun game but I just updated my ACDC premium with the new code tonight so it hard to stop playing it over the new TRON... Life is full of tough decisions...

#8 11 years ago

They put the "old" lockdown on the feature list of Premium/LE pins. It is termed as a "latch" lockdown bar. Same as the playfield slides. They removed features on a standard pin only to replace them as a luxury item.

Really like Stern, think they are headed in the right direction, just hoping the lockdown bar you have and the playfield pegs never return. Costs of NIB pins have risen enough that these costs should be included on all their models.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from denmark71:

This is the new stern cost cut lock down. I think its been put in all pro models since Iron Man

IM has a regular lockdown bar. It doesn't have playfield rails though. I think Avatar was the first game with the cheapo lockdown bar.

#10 11 years ago

I like these a lot better. I don’t latch them then if you need to slide the glass down to get a stuck ball it is easy. I dont like the pegs they could just go away and start making manuals again.

#11 11 years ago

I like them a lot better too.

#12 11 years ago

I don't mind the system, been used on control panels for arcade games for years reliably so it's fine

#13 11 years ago

I don't mind either system as long as the INSTRUCTIONS are correct lol.

I've slammed so many doors on open latch handles, scraped and bashed my knuckles trying to get seized ones to move too. For the love of the game...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nib-tron-opening-today-found-wierd-lock-down-system and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.