(Topic ID: 18371)

NIB poll

By coasterguy

11 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are new games currently being produced becoming better than the classics?”

• Yes! New designs seem to be heading In a good direction. 48 votes
      62%
    • No way! The classics rule! 29 votes
      38%

(77 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 11 years ago

What do you think? Are you liking what you are seeing in the latest machines?

#2 11 years ago

The new games being released are a lot of fun. Mechanically, they aren't much different than the 90's games. The rules have evolved though and they play considerably different than the B/W games imo. I really don't consider one era better than the other. Each era has its classics and its dogs.

#3 11 years ago

Hard, if not impossible to say they are better than the classics as none of the new ones have had to stand a test of time. But I like the direction things have been heading for sure and think the level of games will just keep going up with the new competition in the market.

#4 11 years ago

A very exciting time in pinball indeed but for me im going to have to wait and see how these new games play. I can name 3 older pins that look great and play poor. Proven games are what it is all about. We are seeing new innovation with JJP and Stern seems to be stepping it up in my book. You have JPOP doing some boutique pins which could be some of the best pins ever made but we will have to wait and see. All in all I do like what I see and the direction we are headed. Very exciting times and I think its only going to get better with the competition. Stern was able to put out whatever bc there was no competition so no reason to push the bar. That has all changed and we are in a great place as collectors.

#5 11 years ago

Based on how you phrased it (heading in the right direction), I voted yes.

Still a ways to go however, at least when it comes to things like quality artwork.

#6 11 years ago

I think we are coming out of a survival/stagnation period into a time of innovation like we saw in the 90s.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from txstargazer3:

I think we are coming out of a survival/stagnation period into a time of innovation like we saw in the 90s.

Ditto this. I think we saw a few things happen that resulted in the perfect storm at Stern to make their machines considerably better - first, you had games like BBH, IM, Avatar and RS that they focused on challenging yet straightforward games with a great hook to them. I think then they took the LE concept and decided that if they upped the bill of materials, they could do some really neat stuff, while keeping the challenging yet straightforward gameplay style to them.

It also doesn't hurt that they are trying and improving the sound systems to the games to a huge point. It really stands out, I think.

JJP is just going to be the next step in the evolution, and I think that while the classic games will never be bad, even a few years ago before the Stern 'design change' started to happen, their games just look brighter and "newer" than before. I'm excited and hopeful for the future!

#8 11 years ago

For me, I think JPop is definitely heading in the right direction with BHZA (based on his website and Seattle talk). I want to see cool, timeless, original themes like we had with MB, CV, TOTAN, etc. I did play AC/DC not long ago and liked it, but the band and comic book themes just don't grab me as much as the original themes.

#9 11 years ago

It's a Roller Coaster ,,, Up and Down !!! AC/DC Prem/LE was the Schit !! Sold mine tho ,, It's Ok !!

But it's Hard to beat TZ , AFM , FH ,WH20 and Many Many More !! It's All Fun !!!

#10 11 years ago

Give me the classics.The height of pinball design and technology happened in the 90's at Bally Williams.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nib-poll and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.