(Topic ID: 162477)

Newer Stern Machines - Questionable Quality

By Walleyefisher

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

duck_(resized).jpg
    1266981337_75896739_1-Pictures-of-WILL-PAY-YOU-CASH-FOR-YOUR-WRECKED-OR-NOT-RUNNING-CAR-206-659-6069_(resized).jpg
    depositphotos_5322326-Women-in-stereo-glasses-eating-popcorn._(resized).jpg
    61RlHg7hkRL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200__(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).png
    image_(resized).jpg
    Beavis-and-Butt-Head-Eating-Popcorn-Watching-MTV.gif
    g1dt-before_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider walleyefisher.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Many of the newer stern machines I've played locally that are out for public use are pretty much wrecked. There is a local bar that has Metallica, Walking Dead, Avengers, Iron Man and Pirates and of the 5 machines only Iron Man is playable.

Metallica - broken pieces of plastic laying on the play field. Ball cant even drain without shaking the machine to get ball over plastic
    Walking Dead - Out of order sign on it
    Avengers - Ball get stuck under the hulk and left bumper broken
    Pirates - broke plastics

These games are all Stern and all not that old. I know the the Metallica and Walking dead were setup brand new this last winter so they might be 6mos or so old. Obviously no one is taking care of them but I remember Williams machines in bowling alleys that would go years without maintenance and still be functional, albeit not perfect. Just seems the newer machines are built like everything else these days, cheap!

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:Never happened.

Come on man I remember those darn 8 ball deluxe games running for eternity and man did they get beat up. Anyways, I'm at -23 from this post so I must be doing something right.

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from davjoszie:

Come to the 403 club, pizza west, or Knub's Pub. They have games that are well taken care of

The location is Long-Bell Pizza if you want to see for yourself. Ya I frequent knubs and pizza west and Erik does a fantastic job maintaining them. I would think someone that maintains a lot of machines could shed light on frequency of repairs on old machine vs new.

#60 7 years ago

Certainly this struck a chord with stern owners/lovers, but mine was an actual question of quality and reliability nothing more. Are they as reliable as older machines? Sounds like the majority feel they are so that answers my question. Lots of additional noise on this thread which definitely made it entertaining.

I'm off to buy a LOTR now

#63 7 years ago
    Quoted from kst8cat:

Out of curiosity what is the name of the bar with those five machines? I've been to every location in the KC area listed on the Pin Map, and I can't recall that bar, so perhaps it needs added to the Pin Map and I will visit next time I'm in the area.

http://www.longbellpizzaco.com/#

#66 7 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

Based on your wise logic, I am going to guess you would also say to never buy a Nissan because of how crappy this one is? Never mind the poor driver and lack of maintenance and skill of properly using the thing, but it must mean Nissan's are royal pieces of crap right?

If it walks like a duck...BTW I like how you added a picture to make your point. Solid forum work there.

Two of the machines were like new condition 6 mos ago and every time I've been in there on Friday or Saturday night the machines were seeing next to no business so ya it's a reasonable question. I know it's easier to discount the evidence as biased or the credibility of the source than it is to admit that something you think is great is really a piece of crap. So think whatever you want I only offered as single case study but with 4 out of 5 stern machines in unplayable condition it is a valid question.

Also, my Chevrolet is the best vehicle money can buy. Period
    Trump will be president
    BMW motorcycles are better than Harleys
    Green is better than red

duck_(resized).jpgduck_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider walleyefisher.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/newer-stern-machines-questionable-quality?tu=walleyefisher and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.