Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 years ago by hopeless1
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

stern_78.jpg
    #1 13 years ago

Hey guys my name is max i'm 23 and i'm from quebec canada! (yup i'm a frenchie )

First i wanted to tell that i really enjoy this site...so much infos in here and a lot of experienced owners/players!!

So my question is...

I'm going to buy my first pin in a few weeks and the problem is that there isn't much for sale around here...i've looked in ontario and stuff but don't seem to find any intersting pins...(for my taste) and the machine on EBAY are (to my opinion) way overpriced...and there is a lot of rebuyers/reseller in quebec ... as soon as there is an intersting machine for sale on local sales site (like craiglist) they go buy them and resells them for a much higher price...

Lately i went to an arcade where they had Sterns (iron man,avatar and nba) i had great fun on the iron man and the nba but the last time i played a pin before that go way back 12-13 years ago so...

I didn't had the chance to try much machines and i actually don't want to go wrong with my first machine so... i hope you guys can help me! I'd like to spend around 1500$ not over 2000$ but get the best bang for the buck!Keep in mind i like machine around 1990 and up!

Right here are the machine i got an interest in and are actually available for sale not far from where i live (driving distance)

Judge dredd (there is one freshly refurbished for sale near my place for 1950$...wich i find expensive even tho it is in great shape... and what about the game itself?)

Demolition Man (again 1950$ wich i find rediculous for such a machine...)

Maverick (1800$)

Lost world (1500)

Gotleib Gladiators (1350$ no review or opinions found on the net about this machine ?! is it good?)

Shaq attack (1950$)

elvira and the party monsters (1500$ fully rebuilt)

solar ride (850$)

Letronamo (650$)

These are the choices available for me now...but im still looking every day hoping to get a deal before a reseller jump on it...

what do you guys suggest !? i wait till i see something very interesting on one of those would really do a great first pin !?

#2 13 years ago

Personally i would check out the Elvira and the Party Monsters. $1500.00 for for that machine is a very fair price. Not exactly sure what "fully rebuilt" means - see if you can get details as to what was done to "rebuild" the machine. Of course it is always best to see the machine in person, pictures of pins can often be misleading - you cant REALLY see everything you should see.

#3 13 years ago

Here's a link for reviews on Galdiators, Hope this helps a little. Don't have any exp. on any of those, haven't played them yet.

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?name=Gladiators&searchtype=advanced

#4 13 years ago

Personally i would check out the Elvira and the Party Monsters. $1500.00 for for that machine is a very fair price. Not exactly sure what "fully rebuilt" means - see if you can get details as to what was done to "rebuild" the machine. Of course it is always best to see the machine in person, pictures of pins can often be misleading - you cant REALLY see everything you should see.

I agree with above - worth checking out.

#5 13 years ago

For the price, as long as the pin is in good shape I agree with Bill also, go with Elvira and the Party Monsters.

#6 13 years ago

yeah maybe i shoudl check it out...still the problem is i don't have 1500$ right now...juste starting to look a bit i'm going to buy in 3-4 weeks max tho!

i can't stop looking for pins...i don't even own one and i'm already going crazy for it hahah

well....i'll keep playing marvel and zen pinball on my ps3 for now

#7 13 years ago

Welcome to pinball!!!!

I would agree and have a look at the EATPM pin, tis a great game , unforunately not got a dot matrix.

#8 13 years ago

looks like the galdiators is a lot of fun !? the one i found looks to be in a very good shape (home owned) no fade at all....the art is not very awesome but still....if the game play well could be a good first pins !

i'll keep you guys posted thanks for the advices!

#9 13 years ago

If you are from Quebec then join the MAACA forums...

#10 13 years ago

Welcome to the pinside hopeless1

since it's your 1st game you might want to play it safe and look at a Williams
    more availble parts source & repair info.

However if your a gambling man and not afraid of a risk I'd take a look at that
    1978 Stern Lectronamo - kind of a game you never really see at the shows
    IF it works with no issues and perhaps the seller may come down a notch could make a nice cheap pin. just remember not a whole lot of info on Sterns from the late 70s not the same company of todays pinball MFG.

stern_78.jpgstern_78.jpg

#11 13 years ago

Welcome to the forum, hopeless1!

When you say "Lost World", are talking about Bally's 1977 Lost World, Bally's 1987 Escape from the Lost World, or Sega's The Lost World Jurassic Park from 1997? Regardless, I'd go with EATPM all the way. Very fun machine!

#12 13 years ago

@ tomdotco Wow thanks i knew about pinballquebec but maaca is way way more active thank you very much juste registered !!!

@ autumfade the problem is i'd rather spend 1500$ on a machine i will really enjoy rather than spending 600$ on a older machine i won't enjoy much....but i get your point tho!an thanks for the welcome!

@ gweempose its the bally 1987 one that is for sale !

#13 13 years ago

I would pick the Elvira but then ... Remember these are advertised prices. Show up cash in hand and start low. Most people expect to get less than what they have it listed at.

#14 13 years ago

If the Lost World is the Sega 90's follow up to DE's Jurassic Park, I was advised by two separate people to stay well clear. The toys, especially the grabber continually gave them problems. Both told me that they couldn't wait to get rid and never wanted to see another.

#15 13 years ago

Salut hopeless1 !

I heard Demolition Man is a good choice -

From France .
    Lionel

#16 13 years ago

Hey merci lionel ! cool de voir un francais sur un site anglophone hehe

i really think im going to stash up a bit more money and wait till i see a really interesting pin for sale!

i really want to build a mame too i'm kinda in between right now...lol

btw i went in a arcade tonight and played some stern's (avatar wich i hate, iron man wich i really love and Nba wich is cool too) to pass a bit of the rage hehe

#17 13 years ago

Hi hopeless1, I am located in ontario near Niagara falls, I have checked out MAACA and Kijiji Quebec. There are some decent pins for sale, but good prices are hard to find. I would wait, and get one your are really into. One will come up eventually, good luck and Welcome!

#18 13 years ago

Hit up that Elvira!

#19 13 years ago

Welcome hopeless1! Yup what everyone else said, and yes you should join MAACA.org. It's a good place to meet local enthusiasts and pick up games at mostly market value.

#20 13 years ago

hey thanks everyone !

actually next week i.ll be gathering everything i need to make my MAME ( i got a great deal on a pc and going to buy a x-arcade so the set up is quite simple)

then i.m going to stash some money till i can get my hands on a pin i'm rally into like erak said ! i don't want to waste money on a pin i'll be tired of playing after a few hours !

i'd really like to find a TAF or a TFTC as my first pin but anyway...i'll keep you guys posted for the pin but for now i'm going for my MAME !

#21 13 years ago

Good luck! I've been thinking about a MAME cabinet. It would be fun to play all those old games I grew up with again.

#22 13 years ago

MAME's a fun project. I have a Vid cabinet I built about 10 years ago. It has a rotating monitor to accomodate Horiz / Vert games and it is motorized to automatically orient based on the game selection. Of course, this required a custom front end. It's not too hard with all the help docs out there for building your own custom version.

G

#23 13 years ago

of course !

but my mame project is going a different way...

I'm going to hook up the pc on my 50inch plasma (pioneer no burning danger at all)

bought a x-arcade that im going to put on a stand wic i can roll off

so when i want to play mame i just have to push back the couche a bit get 2 stool out and play !!!

cost me 580$ canadians with a mame program including 12 000 games already classed with all the images working!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-the-pinball-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.