DSC_0140 (resized).JPG
DSC_0061 (resized).JPG
DSC_0036 (resized).JPG
DSC_0048 (resized).JPG
DSC_0046 (resized).JPG
DSC_0047 (resized).JPG
DSC_0049 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

Just brought these home. They are both fairly sweet cosmetically but pretty bad electronically, both have been hacked on pretty bad til the guy couldn't get them to run any more....like wire twists...not even butt connectors....real horror show. Playboy the worse of the 2 unfortunately. Neither work. S&S sorta worked before I moved it but not now. I never saw PB work. Now they both light up, but that's it, the little dot on the displays comes on but nothing else.

There are so many glaringly obvious things that need addressed at this point I'm not even going to ask for help yet....but any useful links or advice on the early SS Bally machines would be most appreciated.

Thank You!

DSC_0049 (resized).JPGDSC_0049 (resized).JPG
DSC_0047 (resized).JPGDSC_0047 (resized).JPG
DSC_0046 (resized).JPGDSC_0046 (resized).JPG
DSC_0048 (resized).JPGDSC_0048 (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

Both look to be in pretty good shape. Electronics are the easy part on the old Bally SS pins. Just start at the rectifier board & go from there.
Pinwiki -- http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/
& Clay's old guide to Bally SS pins is all you need -- http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index1.htm

#3 7 years ago

Those look to be in good shape. I have both of those games and enjoy them. Congrats and good luck.........

#4 7 years ago

Looks like you got some great games there!
I reside in Conroe, let me know if you need to borrow a DMM, Logic Probe, Solder / De-solder tools etc.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Both look to be in pretty good shape. Electronics are the easy part on the old Bally SS pins. Just start at the rectifier board & go from there.
Pinwiki -- http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/
& Clay's old guide to Bally SS pins is all you need -- http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index1.htm

+1 Clays old guide. Go through each board systematically (i.e. repair and mods for the rectifier board, get that up to speed, then proceed to the solenoid driver board, then MPU board.) Make sure you cut the old battery off those MPU boards if not done so already. If there's former corrosion damage, you'll need to address that as well. These repair guides are the bible to this series of machine. Read them cover to cover.

#6 7 years ago

The Playboy looks like it has an overlay on the playfield. It is far too good to be authentic.

Yves

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

The Playboy looks like it has an overlay on the playfield. It is far too good to be authentic.
Yves

It's an overlay. The copyright and trademark texts are missing from the bottom left and right below flippers

#8 7 years ago

Yes...I was told that the Playboy's playfield is an over lay and I agree...it's in WAY too good of shape for being 40 years old.

Thank you Atari_Daze! We'll have to meet IRL. I can use all the help I can get, I'm a great motorcycle mechanic but kinda wet around the ears with the pinball thing, all this started less than a year ago and I'm already up to 8 tables! I'm not a complete menace like the guy that owned these two machines before me but I'd like to learn to solve problems in other ways than just throwing money at them because I get way more satisfaction actually fixing things. I usually don't ask for help until I have repaired all the obvious things....but that time does come. The guy that I got these from still has a "Dolly Parton" that was in equally good shape cosmetically and did run, but it has a reset issue and I would imagine it has been hacked on as well.

Step 1 is going to be to fix the harness damage and repin everything. The green light on S&S's MPU is on....It is not on playboy. Both the OG batteries are still there and there is serious damage to the PB MPU board.

I did order nearly $500 worth of Altek boards for Playboy, I want that one NICE...and bullet proof. I'll use all the stock stuff from both tables to fix Strikes and Spares.

I really appreciate you guys help, Pinside has been an invaluable source of help and unlike other groups of people with a similar interest (the jukebox crowd for example) nobody has been all "too bad noob...figure it out yourself" and that means a lot.

Photo: "Good" FLASH. My 1st purchase from a Pinsider. I'll trick it out and use it's stock stuff to fix "Bad" FLASH that I bought locally for $200 that is a real train wreck.

DSC_0036 (resized).JPGDSC_0036 (resized).JPG

#9 7 years ago

If you need / want to try and repair the alkaline damage to your boards, this thread is a must read:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terrybs-guide-to-repairing-alkaline-battery-damage

#10 7 years ago

You know....personally....Hefner's smugness always annoyed the hell out of me. He must have been doing something right though....cause he's 94.

#11 7 years ago

The overlay on Playboy is really weird. Looks like the inserts are covered in white and the registration on the colors is way off.... hopefully the inserts light up enough to be seen well. Good luck- one good thing is that you could always get another better quality overlay and sand it all down to do again without worrying much. This is a great game- enjoy it when you get it working!

So weird that someone threw an overlay on and didnt even bother to clean the shooter lane.... if thats the quality of work on the electronics I can only inagine the horror show awiting you.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from rufessor:

So weird that someone threw an overlay on and didn't even bother to clean the shooter lane.... if that's the quality of work on the electronics I can only imagine the horror show awaiting you.

Yep....it's are pretty bad. I don't care...it's worth saving. If I can get that train wreck Atari running this one should be no sweat.

The lights work and can be seen with incandescent lamps so I'm sure some tasteful "warm" LEDs will look fine.

I'll post some "before" pics soon.

DSC_0061 (resized).JPGDSC_0061 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#13 7 years ago

Man....I love the old Bally machines. Thank you guys for your help. Especially Marco & Big Daddy Pinball and Alltek!

DSC_0140 (resized).JPGDSC_0140 (resized).JPG
DSC_0144 (resized).JPGDSC_0144 (resized).JPG

#14 7 years ago

Beautiful. Miss my Strikes and Spares a bit, have always wanted a Playboy

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Beautiful. Miss my Strikes and Spares a bit, have always wanted a Playboy

Thank you. The guy had a "Dolly Parton" that needed love also. Houston area. $500. It actually ran.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from Ming:

Thank you. The guy had a "Dolly Parton" that needed love also. Houston area. $500. It actually ran.

If only it wasn't so far. $500 solid state games are rare around here.

#17 7 years ago

We got a club for that!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-strikes-and-spares-not-just-for-hot-redheads-club

strikes and spares redhead welcome (resized).jpgstrikes and spares redhead welcome (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Warren, OH
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
$ 22.50
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-me-bally-strikes-and-spares-and-playboy?hl=arcane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.