IMG_0610 (resized).JPG
IMG_0609 (resized).jpg
20230422_213522 (resized).jpg
20230422_213440 (resized).jpg
IMG_0559 (resized).JPG
IMG_20220617_115548 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220708_135526 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220617_115536 (resized).jpg

There are 132 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 7 years ago

I didn't see a club for Bally Strikes and Spares and since I have a restoration planned to start soon, I thought I'd start one. So who loves this game? I just bought my 5th one. The last one I had was extremely nice but I sold it. The next one will be incredible! Total restore on this one. So, do you love this game?

#2 7 years ago

Looking forward to seeing pics when the restore is done!

#3 7 years ago

That was my first pin, and I foolishly sold it 4 years ago. Such a great theme and the backglass is classic!
I wish I could find someone a restored one or one in great shape, would definitely consider buying it

#4 7 years ago

I'm in, I'm in, I'm in. My first club!

I always am a big fan of bowling having wasted away far too much time of my youth in bowling alleys. And when I saw the redhead on this thing, that was it. I got really lucky to get a nice one from a local Pinsider who put in a new playfield and new backglass. Looking forward to learning more about it.

Here it is in my mini arcade, next to the blond girl in Bon Voyage. Not that I buy pinball machines just for the girls on the artwork. Because I don't.

Strikes and Spares and Bon Voyage (resized).jpgStrikes and Spares and Bon Voyage (resized).jpg

Gratuitous BG shot - once you see this, how can you resist?

Stirkes and Spares backglass 3 (resized).jpgStirkes and Spares backglass 3 (resized).jpg

#5 7 years ago

I have a Strikes and Spares and like it. Takes me back to the summer of '78. The last Bally w/chimes. Awesome art package. I have yet to see an alternate backglass but have heard rumors of one. Why does S&S have players 1-4 on the BG at the bottom w/no light provision in the backbox?? Games after S&s have it. Still an iconic machine from early solid state.........

#6 7 years ago

Just picked one up locally. Came with a very good back glass and a bronze CPR play field (un-installed).
+1 on the chimes and art!

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

Why does S&S have players 1-4 on the BG at the bottom w/no light provision in the backbox??

Maybe an improperly screened/made/modified backglass? S&S has 1,2,3,4 lights to indicate how many players the game was set for.

#8 7 years ago

It has the player number lights by the appropriate displays but the ones at the bottom are unused..........

#9 7 years ago

I have had mine for years. Added new boards and just got done repainting the cabinet. This winter I too will be jumping on the bandwagon and installing a new CPR PF. Hopefully when I get done, this will be as good as new.

Definitely a classic game with lots of good memories as a kid.

#10 7 years ago

Love mine. It was a tournament machine and it's played nightly....

IMG_20160828_004633 (resized).jpgIMG_20160828_004633 (resized).jpg

#11 7 years ago

I lucked out on a perfect playfeild ...

IMG_20160910_123402 (resized).jpgIMG_20160910_123402 (resized).jpg

#12 7 years ago

Pretty hard game actually. The spinner shot can be drain city if not perfect. So tempting though. Damn that chick is hott!!!!!!

#13 7 years ago

Here's a link to #3. #4 sold cheap. I'll try and get pics of #5 at some point.

http://alsarcade.com/ss/

#14 7 years ago

All I have is the poster, but I stare at it often.

002 (resized).jpg002 (resized).jpg

#15 7 years ago

We have one also Still getting it fully working. But a great game to play and look at..

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from JeffZee:

All I have is the poster, but I stare at it often.

Those posters are quite rare these days.

#17 7 years ago

To the new Strikes and Spares Club:

strikes and spares redhead halloween (resized).jpgstrikes and spares redhead halloween (resized).jpg

#18 7 years ago

Nice............

#19 7 years ago

OK - I call this next thread, "The Python - Dave Christensen Controversy". So I have Python Anghelo at my house in December of 2012. Long story as to why, but he's there and I openly invite all of the Georgia pinheads to come meet him and play my games.

Python is playing some of the EM games I have and walks into my Solid State room and shouts "Wait a minute! That's Dave Christensen!" and he's looking directly at the Strikes and Spares backglass. I'm "No Python, it's Kevin O'Connor" and I'm pointing at the signature. I actually have some of this conversation on video. He's "No, Kevin O'Connor does little S$%^ like this" (pointing to the more cartoon art surrounding the redhead). End of conversation.

This bugged me.

Python knew art like nobody else. What happened here? Was it something that Christensen started and Kevin picked up? I never got the chance to ask him but I think I got the answer (more later on that).

I knew that Stu from CPR did the re-draw for the reproduction glass. I asked him. His answer was that it was Christensen style but older Christensen, meaning that it pre-dated the style he was doing when SandS was released. Cut and paste was looking good.

A bit later and I'm talking to Greg Freres and I bring this up. He says that "That was Kevin O'Connor's Wife" (lucky guy). His opinion was that he copied Christensen's style because this was his first glass. He also had to impress his new boss. I feel that this was the answer. I'll ask Kevin some day. Maybe one of you will. It's still a fun story!

It's my favorite glass of all times.

(Python at my house: http://gapas.net/?page_id=64&wppa-album=2&wppa-cover=0&wppa-occur=1)

#20 7 years ago

Interesting on the artwork. In the article in Pinball magazine I think he said the red head was from his imagination. I can see similarities of Dave C. Would be nice to know the real story. She is still smokin' whoever drew her ..............

#21 7 years ago

I love my s and s .. now I wanna know the real story...

#22 7 years ago

I have 2 with Christensen artwork next to Strikes and Spares. After extensive study and analysis, my feeling is that the redhead was not done by Christensen. There is a certain way he draws things, in particular, certain things, and there are differences in the style and details of the way certain things are drawn that make me think it was someone else.

SnS MC BV 2 (resized).jpgSnS MC BV 2 (resized).jpg

#23 7 years ago

Pinball Pimp Bally Strikes and Spares (resized).jpgPinball Pimp Bally Strikes and Spares (resized).jpg

#24 7 years ago

Joined the club today! Played Strikes and Spares for the first time last Saturday and today purchased that same machine.

It has a new Altech CPU board and LEDs in the backbox.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#25 7 years ago

I have your stencils! Can't wait to start my restore (but it's in line after another game). The stencils are unrolled.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

I have 2 with Christensen artwork next to Strikes and Spares. After extensive study and analysis, my feeling is that the redhead was not done by Christensen. There is a certain way he draws things, in particular, certain things, and there are differences in the style and details of the way certain things are drawn that make me think it was someone else.

I'll put the clip up on a hidden YouTube and share it here. It's short but I'm planning to use it in my next video.

1 week later
#27 7 years ago

Does anyone have LED displays? I've been thinking about putting them in mine to complement the nice new backglass and playfield. I'm hoping Xpin has a holiday sale, I think they did last year. Given the color scheme of the machine the standard orange color would probably look best, although maybe red might look nice too.

I do have a problem with one of the digits on the credit display as shown in this pic, otherwise the other 4 do all work ok so there isn't a pressing need to change them. I might be able to fix that one digit too, this is my first SS machine so I am not familiar with those and I need to dig into that when I get the time. Maybe there is a loose connector or bad solder joint somewhere. Or, it may be that the display itself is bad which means I will need to buy a new one.

From what I understand, another advantage of going all LED is that the high voltage power supply can be completely disabled as it is only used to drive the display glass.

score displays credit bad (resized).jpgscore displays credit bad (resized).jpg

#28 7 years ago

I installed rottendog on my pinbot and love it.. I just ordered one for my firepower game.. there very nice and 10 to 20 minute install...

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

I'll put the clip up on a hidden YouTube and share it here. It's short but I'm planning to use it in my next video.

Please don't share this link...

#30 7 years ago

There is a cool diy led option from acebathound here on pinside. I have built several, they are pretty cool. Here is a couple pics of mine,

IMG_6657 (resized).JPGIMG_6657 (resized).JPG

IMG_6710 (resized).JPGIMG_6710 (resized).JPG

IMG_6803 (resized).JPGIMG_6803 (resized).JPG

#31 7 years ago

Just picked up a rat base game to work with, just got it playing. I sold an equal rat of a S & S a couple years ago for peanuts. Fun game, hard to not push start over and over.
I have a Kruzman cleared NOS or CPR coming for it on Tuesday. Not sure which it is, but it looks sweet. I'll be restoring mine for sure for the keeper collection.

#32 7 years ago

Does anyone have LEDs in their Strikes and Spares? I'm trying to get a good one for underneath the bowling pin star rollovers. I have a pretty good selection from Comet but nothing I have tried there works so far.

These bulbs sit sideways and next to the switch. The incandescents light up the orange inserts very nicely but no matter what LED I try it looks weak in comparison. There is something about the light spread of the incandescent that the LED can't match. The strongest I have is a 2 LED sunlight with clear top.

I plan to order some more LEDs from Comets upcoming sale so I guess I will try to get something that is brighter to see if that might do the trick, but would appreciate any suggestions.

#33 7 years ago

I've been playing my Strikes and Spares a lot more lately. When the ball rolls over the star roll-overs (pins), it seems like rolling over just one will turn off multiple other roll over lights. Is this normal? I haven't done any testing to see if it's specific ones doing it.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Does anyone have LEDs in their Strikes and Spares? I'm trying to get a good one for underneath the bowling pin star rollovers. I have a pretty good selection from Comet but nothing I have tried there works so far.
These bulbs sit sideways and next to the switch. The incandescents light up the orange inserts very nicely but no matter what LED I try it looks weak in comparison. There is something about the light spread of the incandescent that the LED can't match. The strongest I have is a 2 LED sunlight with clear top.
I plan to order some more LEDs from Comets upcoming sale so I guess I will try to get something that is brighter to see if that might do the trick, but would appreciate any suggestions.

They sell a flexible LED that really pops with brightness. I use them under all star rollovers

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

They sell a flexible LED that really pops with brightness. I use them under all star rollovers

I have the 1-led version of those and it is the best one, but still a bit weak. I am going to get some of the 2-led types and see how they do.

strikes and spares redhead thanksgiving (resized).jpgstrikes and spares redhead thanksgiving (resized).jpg

#36 7 years ago

Shirkle, the game can be switched on the MPU to activate more than one rollover in liberal mode. If not, the switches on the rollovers may need adjusting.

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from Grnrzr:

There is a cool diy led option from acebathound here on pinside. I have built several, they are pretty cool. Here is a couple pics of mine,

I can't decide if orange or red would look best. It seems like red should do it but I can't tell for sure from the pic. Red would match the top logo and her shorts so that should work I would think. What do you think seeing it in the flesh, so to speak?

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from Grnrzr:

Those White displays are awesome. Were can I buy a set of those?

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

Shirkle, the game can be switched on the MPU to activate more than one rollover in liberal mode. If not, the switches on the rollovers may need adjusting.

Thanks! I'll have to check that out later. The rollovers do need adjusting(the pop bumper triggers them sometimes), but they are definitely scoring more than one no matter what because I've gone over them with my finger and it still does it.

1 week later
#40 7 years ago
Quoted from shirkle:

Thanks! I'll have to check that out later. The rollovers do need adjusting(the pop bumper triggers them sometimes), but they are definitely scoring more than one no matter what because I've gone over them with my finger and it still does it.

Use diagnostics to verify proper switch operation. Then you'll know for sure. # of balls/game setting may affect this as well.

#41 7 years ago

Sorry I didn't see your questions earlier xzvtoys and Pinplayer1967. The kits are sold by acebathound from his website pinitech.com You need 5 outgassed display boards plus a kit to convert a machine to led. It is a diy kit, so you will also need to be able to desolder the old components and resolder in the new ones. I think they are awesome, especially because you can use white digits with different color 'gels' or filters (basically thin colored pieces of film like they use on a stage to change light colors) and get a lot of different colors. I have yellow filters on mine currently as that is what I liked the best, but it is less than a ten minute job to change them to red or back to white

here is a link to the thread here on inside for more info;

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interest-check-diy-bally-led-displays-using-old-boards

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from Grnrzr:

Sorry I didn't see your questions earlier xzvtoys and Pinplayer1967. The kits are sold by acebathound from his website pinitech.com You need 5 outgassed display boards plus a kit to convert a machine to led. It is a diy kit, so you will also need to be able to desolder the old components and resolder in the new ones. I think they are awesome, especially because you can use white digits with different color 'gels' or filters (basically thin colored pieces of film like they use on a stage to change light colors) and get a lot of different colors. I have yellow filters on mine currently as that is what I liked the best, but it is less than a ten minute job to change them to red or back to white
here is a link to the thread here on inside for more info;
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interest-check-diy-bally-led-displays-using-old-boards

I just ordered a set of these even though I think most of my displays are fine. I'd want them to be all the same anyway. I might start my restoration before the end of the year. All according to how long Police Force takes since it's next. Thanks for the tip - a lot cheaper than new LED displays and the filters make it easy to change colors.

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

I just ordered a set of these even though I think most of my displays are fine. I'd want them to be all the same anyway. I might start my restoration before the end of the year. All according to how long Police Force takes since it's next. Thanks for the tip - a lot cheaper than new LED displays and the filters make it easy to change colors.

Thanks for your order! Your kit is shipping today!

That's a good point about having them all look the same, lots of different styles of digit fonts on those plasma displays & if someone's swapped displays between machines or replaced the glass at some point -- they can look quite different.

2 months later
#44 7 years ago

Just picked this today, warehouse find. Nasty mouse nest, but back glass looks ok. Needs a heavy cleaning to see if salvageable. Head is trashed on one side. That is one hot redhead though. Pics below, nasty stuff.

14866504027581708736954 (resized).jpg14866504027581708736954 (resized).jpg

14866503324311695508205 (resized).jpg14866503324311695508205 (resized).jpg

$_27 (1) (resized).JPG$_27 (1) (resized).JPG

1486650412951-403548021 (resized).jpg1486650412951-403548021 (resized).jpg

#45 7 years ago

New playfields can still be had. It's a matter of how much time and money you want to put into it. I have a game, new backglass, new playfield, new plastics, stencils, new displays, and new side rails. All I have to do is put it together!

#46 7 years ago

I have been slowly putting one together. I'm looking to pick up a populated PF at my next league session. It's the last piece I need to get a playable game set up.

Added over 7 years ago: FOUND!

#47 7 years ago

So this is where I am at with my warehouse find. Glass is looking good, as is playfield. All pieces here. MPU looks to have battery corrosion. Water damage to back of head. Battery is now removed. Have to work through it.
Chris

20170212_121556 (resized).jpg20170212_121556 (resized).jpg

20170212_215211 (resized).jpg20170212_215211 (resized).jpg

20170212_160126 (resized).jpg20170212_160126 (resized).jpg

20170212_134336 (resized).jpg20170212_134336 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#48 7 years ago

My warehouse find, cleaned and working. Battery corrosion removed and it booted properly. Couldn't believe it. Have some clean up to do still, but otherwise happy with the find.

20170226_192342 (resized).jpg20170226_192342 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170225_174722_076 (resized).jpgIMG_20170225_174722_076 (resized).jpg

#49 7 years ago

Know you were shocked and happy when she booted up..........congrats

2 weeks later
#50 7 years ago

Here is the finished product. From warehouse find to at home in my basement. Too many machines now to fit in one room, oops.

$_27 (1) (resized).JPG$_27 (1) (resized).JPG

20170314_164218 (resized).jpg20170314_164218 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
$ 10.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 45.00
$ 69.00
Electronics
Pinball Haus
Electronics
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
There are 132 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-strikes-and-spares-not-just-for-hot-redheads-club and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.