(Topic ID: 33438)

New HEP videos

By High_End_Pins

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

After much delay I am starting a new series of videos.
    The first few will cover MM and MB repro playfields as well as the structural/fit/finish corrections needed to make the parts fit and to make the gameplay as close to correct as possible.
    These videos are based in true information not entertainment so it is for the "meat and potatoes "restorer and hobbyist not those looking for a bunch of flash and eye candy with little helpful substance.
    The goal is always to inform the community as well as the DIYers and do so with true knowledge and much experience gathered from trial and error.
    Upcoming videos will cover other repro playfields such as AFM as well as older NOS(Paragon),System 11 NOS(Earthshaker),repairing originals and all types of full blown game restorations from a EM to another ultra rare game to restoring four different MMs four different ways and I am not talking about trim choices.
    Here are the first two.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/highendpins?feature=mhee

Christopher Hutchins

#2 11 years ago

Thanks for sharing Chris!
    Always an education watching and seeing your work

Especially nice as I have just recently picked up an IPB MM playfield!!!

Chris, what diameter dowel were you using to illustrate the shooter lane fit? I'm assuming that wrapping some sandpaper around that sucker to re-shape it would do the trick?

#3 11 years ago

Now that's an awesome Christmas present to pinheads. Thanks Chris

#4 11 years ago

WOW!!!

HUGE thanks for sharing!!!

#5 11 years ago

Awesome, I'm pretty sure that's my NOS Paragon playfield.

#6 11 years ago

Christopher,
    Always good stuff... but upload video to atleast 720p next time for better resolution

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from jhoward1082:

Awesome, I'm pretty sure that's my NOS Paragon playfield.

Yes it is.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from PBINTHESOUTH:

Christopher,
    Always good stuff... but upload video to atleast 720p next time for better resolution

It just takes to long to load 18 min worth of video in higher resolutions but the shorter ones or those that are more about cosmetics will be done at 720 or better.

#9 11 years ago

HEP,

when you end up getting a Mirco pf for MM, would you mind letting us know of any issues with it and what your overall opinions are of the differences are?

When I looked at the Mirco ones with my noob eyes, they looked much nicer and the first thing I noticed was that the shooter lane appeared correct.

thanks again! already looking forward to other videos.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

HEP,
    when you end up getting a Mirco pf for MM, would you mind letting us know of any issues with it and what your overall opinions are of the differences are?
    When I looked at the Mirco ones with my noob eyes, they looked much nicer and the first thing I noticed was that the shooter lane appeared correct.
    thanks again! already looking forward to other videos.

I don't have any Mirco MMs right now but I am working on a Mirco AFM and also have all three versions of FH(Mirco,IPB as well as factory)should be a good source to compare there.
    The main thing is that I have installed many IPB MM ,FH,TAFs and MBs as well as Mirco AFMs,TZs and WH2Os so the series will cover the things that I know are a problem through experience where as the more recent efforts will need to be experienced first hand before I can figure out what and where the problems lie.If any of course but I have yet to see anything 100% at this point.
    100% is probably asking too much of any of these people that have the balls to enter this market though so I just look to find what it takes to take those efforts and make the corrections where I can.

#11 11 years ago

Man, you talk about enlightening stuff! It's really great that we have these new repro PFs obviously, but they certainly aren't perfect, so sending them to Chris for the corrections makes a ton of sense. How many people would have realized that the shooter lane on the MB repro isn't right?

Thanks for sharing Chris!

#12 11 years ago

Great! Always good to see all the modification needed to get everything working perfect. I thought fitting the MB creech window was cool and then you took the wooden dowel w/ sandpaper to the shooter lane I started to cring!

But then I remembered I was watching a pro... :-p

#13 11 years ago

Great videos. I hope you post an episode on any issues with CPR's TOTAN pfs after they release them in mid-2013. As a novice having never performed a pf swap, I would be very hesitant to drill and dremel away on a new pf. Do you accept repro pfs to make corrections only? My guess is that it wouldn't be worth your time, but the answer is no if you don't ask, right?

#14 11 years ago

Earthshaker(NOS)

and
    Reproduction AFM have been added.

The surface prep and coatings applications to all will be next.

#15 11 years ago

ladies and gentleman thats what 5k worth of nos es pf's look like As usual 2nd to none Chris amazing work.

#16 11 years ago

Thank you Chris !

LTG : )

#17 11 years ago

I love this stuff. Thanks for sharing Chris!

#18 11 years ago

I swear I could watch this stuff all day!

#19 11 years ago

Thanks for sharing these, very useful info!

#20 11 years ago

Chris, thank you for sharing these with the world. You make it a better place.

#21 11 years ago

These are so fascinating to watch...thanks for sharing with us Chris!

#22 11 years ago

More:

#23 11 years ago

I find it amazing that these new PFs are in need of so much work.. The price of these PFs should be much cheaper if they take 15 to 20 hours to make right ! Thanks Chris for showing us the issues,very enlightening .

Jim

#24 11 years ago

wow those videos are great, thank for sharing.

#25 11 years ago

awesome, thanks for posting this

#26 11 years ago

Working on loading the updated MB ,MM and ES videos now.Also about to start covering all versions of FH playfields.
    Question is this as I now get a feel for doing the videos again.
    Is it better to have a more thorough start to finish(per process)video that is long or a series of short videos that make it to each potential stopping point?
    Hard for me to know what to do there as I have much info and process to cover but little time for editing and such.

#27 11 years ago

I think whatever is easiest for you is great for us. No one should complain if all of one playfield is documented in a single long video. A few seconds of skipping ahead for us is no big deal if it saves you a ton of editing time. I know it takes a long time to thoroughly document things and keep it organized.

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

I think whatever is easiest for you is great for us. No one should complain if all of one playfield is documented in a single long video. A few seconds of skipping ahead for us is no big deal if it saves you a ton of editing time. I know it takes a long time to thoroughly document things and keep it organized.

Agreed. The presentation doesn't change the content, just happy to have the videos.

#29 11 years ago

Hi Chris,
    we spoke on the phone a couple days ago when I called, asking about a European routed MM.
    (I'm still impressed that you answered the phone!)
    Can't tell you how valuable these videos are to us. Those of us new to the hobby may be saved hours and hours of frustration, having not known about these defects/imperfections. The others who can learn from these videos have the opportunity of being near-video mentored. There simply aren't enough knowledgeable people like yourself in any proximity to most of us, or who are willing to take the time to teach. I would happily take a night-school course in the restoration of pinball if I could. This is the closest thing to it. Keep up the good work!

#30 11 years ago

Digging the vids.

Thanks for doing them!

#31 11 years ago

whatever is easiest for you is best. I just feel very thankful that you are sharing!

sincerely, a big thanks!

#32 11 years ago

Chris,

Any chance you can do a video on when a playfield is too far gone, when you just have to say no. Thanks again for what you bring to the hobby.

Kidchrisso

#33 11 years ago

Chris, I believe that the greatest people in this hobby are the ones who take time to put together tutorials or instructional videos in order to share their knowledge with everyone. Thank you. Wally

#34 11 years ago

These are awesome. Thanks very much for making and posting them -- I'm strongly considering buying one of the new-run Mirco AFM playfields and so the timing is perfect for me. Hopefully they will take note of your corrections and correct future runs.

I am curious about one thing though.. A friend who I consider highly knowledgeable about pinball told me that some of the early run Mirco AFM playfields had flipper holes that were spaced slightly too far apart, adding about 1/4" gap to the flipper spacing. Do you know if that was the case, and if so have they fixed that particular issue on their newer runs?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-hep-videos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.