IMG_6557 (resized).jpg
IMG_6556 (resized).jpg
08C8EBA0-4B14-4584-8409-8E6CA9610013 (resized).jpeg
AC19D03D-3C18-4704-9067-380A3A1CF156 (resized).jpeg
P1200136 (resized).JPG
DE Star Trek Backglass (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Guys;

Here's a short list of glasses we are currently screening the mirroring for. These are the ones we have complete artwork for as of now, although Stu tells me he has 5 more almost ready to go. I'll post them when I know the titles. But in the mean time these are the glasses coming over the next few weeks.

1. Attack From Mars - Already available
2. Bram Stoker's Dracula
3. XXXXXX - cking licencing
4. Congo
5. Fish Tales
6. JackBot
7. XXXXXX - cking licencing
8. Party Zone
9. Radical
10. Rocky & Bullwinkle
11. Scared Stiff
12. Skee Ball - Not technically Pinball - But I needed one for my own game so Stu helped me out.
13. Superman
14. ToTAN - Already available
15. World Cup Soccer
16. De Star Trek
17. Earthshaker
18. Guns N' Roses
19. DE Star Wars
20. Harlem Globetrotters

Mike at CPR

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from CPR:

13. Superman

I'm just hoping these aren't oversaturated like ones I've seen/gotten in the past.

#3 4 years ago

We completely changed the way these are made. Here's the short story. In the 80's lead ink was banned. Backglasses were seldom made after the ban because the glasses could not look the same as they did with lead paint. If they looked good unlit they were washed out when lit, if they looked over saturated when unlit they looked fine when lit. A few years ago we found a line of silk screened inks that claimed to be like lead inks in their properties. We tied many and I mean many experiments and some hues looked better than others but the truth was they were not the same as lead based inks, only about 10x more expensive.

We pulled the plug on those glasses in the spring of 2018 and would never have made another CMYK glass however, we bought some leading edge tech that allowed us to use RGB colors which means way less conversion loss and more accurate colors. The new tech allows us to individually play with the colors AND saturation at the same time! We can add density for EACH color in 1% increments, from 50% right up to 300%!! We have also pioneered some features that allow the glass to be properly saturated when unlit AND to be properly saturated when lit which means approximating the beautiful colors and saturation of the old lead based inks, which until recently were just not possible.

Kevin and Stu are possibly the most anal guys I know when it comes to color and accuracy and they go to great lengths to make sure these glasses are the best they can be! When opinions flare as they some times do we can now make multiple versions instead of getting stuck with 100 purple Barracora back glasses..... Yes! I am talking to you..... bloody Barracora! You VERY costly mistake! LOL

On top of this new found ability to control saturation AND saturation differences when lit and unlit which we could never do before we have also really taken to adding mirroring to old shitty translites to make them into proper mirrored backglasses! These has been a real game changer! I love the new mirrored backglasses and my TAF and TZ now have real backglasses that pop!! Now we just need to find a way to rescue that shitty out of focus translite in my ToM!! But that's a battle for tomorrow.

Mike

#4 4 years ago

Great news ...keep up the good work!

#5 4 years ago

Thank you for your work and what you do.

#6 4 years ago

What were the licensing ones if you dont mind me asking? Please dont say CFTBL : (

#7 4 years ago

do you guys make a bally eight ball?

#8 4 years ago

Please tell me you have Xenon in the works?

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

What were the licensing ones if you dont mind me asking? Please dont say CFTBL : (

Spill the beans...

#10 4 years ago

Very anxious to see the Radical! The Indy Jones and Banzai glasses are top notch.

#11 4 years ago

A couple in that list I’d love to have up on my wall, awesome news!

#12 4 years ago

Rough timetable on these?

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Rough timetable on these?

My source says “over the next few weeks.”

#14 4 years ago

Excellent stuff , already ordered some and get more very soon ( $$$)

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from CPR:

Now we just need to find a way to rescue that shitty out of focus translite in my ToM!! But that's a battle for tomorrow.
Mike

If you figure this one out, keep us posted.

#16 4 years ago

Thanks for continuing to improve the process and the products! You're lifesavers to some of these older machines and I appreciate it

1 week later
#17 4 years ago

Do you have pictures of your Superman BG ?

#18 4 years ago

Aaaaaaany chance of Zaccaria outer backglasses in the mix?

Could really use one for my Devil Riders.

-Hans

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Aaaaaaany chance of Zaccaria outer backglasses in the mix?
Could really use one for my Devil Riders.
-Hans

Hans;

You know we just need a near perfect example otherwise rebuilding all the artwork gets very time consuming. And you know the dilemma.... if perfect ones were available for scanning and artwork we wouldn't need to make it. But we do have out eyes open now for almost any title regardless of the manufacturer. It might take 20-30 hrs to prep it but them its available whenever we need to make one and it doesn't take up shop space and we don;t have to prepay a bunch of royalties until its actually made and sold.

Mike

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from CPR:

Hans;
You know we just need a near perfect example otherwise rebuilding all the artwork gets very time consuming. And you know the dilemma.... if perfect ones were available for scanning and artwork we wouldn't need to make it. But we do have out eyes open now for almost any title regardless of the manufacturer. It might take 20-30 hrs to prep it but them its available whenever we need to make one and it doesn't take up shop space and we don;t have to prepay a bunch of royalties until its actually made and sold.
Mike

So my farfalla glass is near perfect. I'd have to check what my original devil riders looks like. I also have a bgrestore devil riders glass as well though i'm not sure on the etiquette of using that.

If you're serious about reproducing zaccaria glasses let me know. I'm not sure what the licensing aspect is for zaccaria stuff but there must be some avenue since there's a zaccaria digital game.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from CPR:

Hans;
Mike

Completely understand, just was curious if they may have been in the pipeline. I'm probably going to buy me some more Zaccaria's in the future, so if I end up with a perfect or near perfect example I'll be more than happy to share. My collection is finally getting big enough that I'll be able to take games 'out of rotation' from time to time to be able to do that.

-Hans

#22 4 years ago

Would folks chime in on the mirrored backglasses.

Can you see the difference when lit?
Any chance of a side by side comparison?
My MMr translite is a "replacement" and is not worthy of the game. Blurred etc.
My AFMr glass is nice with some clear spots where white lite comes through.

My AFMr and MMr are forever games. Would the mirrored BG's be noticeably better and worth the money?

Much thanks,

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from wolftownjeff:

Would folks chime in on the mirrored backglasses.
Can you see the difference when lit?
Any chance of a side by side comparison?
My MMr translite is a "replacement" and is not worthy of the game. Blurred etc.
My AFMr glass is nice with some clear spots where white lite comes through.
My AFMr and MMr are forever games. Would the mirrored BG's be noticeably better and worth the money?
Much thanks,

I just installed a Twilight Zone mirrored backglass. My translite was yellowed and impossible to clean. I had purchased one of the re-prints of the translite recently. IT was a piece of awful garbage. Too dark, blotchy, some color registration issues; I'm not sure what material it is printed on; just looked bad.

So I spend the $$ for the mirrored backglass. It came a few days ago - the mirrored parts look REALLY nice, especially when the game is *off*, believe it or not. Very nice, meticulous mirroring done. IT's not too much, either, I think they did a tasteful job. I do still feel it's a little dark - but I guess I will have to just deal and put in some brighter LEDs in the backbox. I am unsure how well it would light with incandescents; seems like it would be a bit murky.

I found it impossible to get a picture of though, at least on my phone. very nice job; with good lighting it should look really sharp.

1 week later
#24 4 years ago

Just got mine and yes you are correct.
The glass is too dark.
MM BG is even darker.

#25 4 years ago

I wanted to get an EATPM mirrored BG as the site said “ coming soon “ but now they have dropped all mention of it . Seems odd . I emailed them a couple times but couldnt get a straight answer .

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from NevadaNutJob:

I wanted to get an EATPM mirrored BG as the site said “ coming soon “ but now they have dropped all mention of it . Seems odd . I emailed them a couple times but couldnt get a straight answer .

Stern has all pinball licensing for elvira

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from wolftownjeff:

Just got mine and yes you are correct.
The glass is too dark.
MM BG is even darker.

Caveat emptor I guess. I’m sure it’s hard to get right but it just doesn’t look quite as good as my original yellowing translite. I will try adding some more/brighter bulbs and see if that helps

#28 4 years ago

Just got a Bally’s Star Trek BG w/ the colored uniforms ! Have been wanting one of these for .... well since my first pin ( ST ) . Totally disappointed . Over saturated color and rather dark as others have said . I’m not gonna spend a G for an original but was surprised this wasn’t nicer ☹️

#29 4 years ago

Is Scared Stiff still in the works? Haven't heard anything more since the initial post in this thread and don't see anything up on the CPR website.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from Calfdemon:

Is Scared Stiff still in the works? Haven't heard anything more since the initial post in this thread and don't see anything up on the CPR website.

Stern secured all Elvira pinball rights, so cpr has to wait for them to expire

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

I know that Stern has the current rights for the new machine, and has for some time now (this isn't a new development). But does that carry over to the old machines? I know that B/W (if still around) would not be able to make new machines but parts for old should still be covered under the old licensing agreement. These are parts for already existing machines so Stern should not have any control or licensing rights over past creations they never had a hand in. Of course, that same argument could apply to CPR as well but I'm pretty sure the production of all parts on SS and EATPM do not cease due to Stern getting a new license for E3. Does anyone have any clarification on this?

#32 4 years ago

Is Doctor Who possible regarding licensing issues for CPR ?

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from NevadaNutJob:

Just got a Bally’s Star Trek BG w/ the colored uniforms ! Have been wanting one of these for .... well since my first pin ( ST ) . Totally disappointed . Over saturated color and rather dark as others have said . I’m not gonna spend a G for an original but was surprised this wasn’t nicer ☹️

Same problem with the one I bought. Too dark when I turned on the game for the 1st time after I put it in, I thought all backbox lights were out.

Disappointing...

2 months later
#34 4 years ago

Not hearing good things about the Bally Star Trek backglasses, I’ve wanted one with coloured uniforms for years and was hoping to eventually jump for one of these

#35 4 years ago

what are you talking about? the CPR DE Star Trek glass does have colored uniforms

Quoted from J85M:

Not hearing good things about the DE Star Trek backglasses, I’ve wanted one with coloured uniforms for years

DE Star Trek Backglass (resized).jpgDE Star Trek Backglass (resized).jpg
#36 4 years ago
Quoted from Cherries_Jubilee:

what are you talking about? the CPR DE Star Trek glass does have colored uniforms
[quoted image]

Oops, obviously ment Bally Star Trek, had more than one window open on pinside

#37 4 years ago

i have seen 3 of the cpr bally star trek backglasses using warm white led's and they look fantastic, don't believe everything you read on the internet

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Oops, obviously ment Bally Star Trek, had more than one window open on pinside

got one a month ago and it was great!

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

Same problem with the one I bought. Too dark when I turned on the game for the 1st time after I put it in, I thought all backbox lights were out.
Disappointing...

That's why it pays to buy the original. I'd rather have a poor condition original then a newly made reproduction. Heck you can tell how bad the quality is on these so called reproductions just by looking at a picture of them on the internet, let alone seeing it in person. I can usually spot it a mile away. Same way when Geno repop'd the Circus Voltaire playfields, you could spot the poor quality from 20 feet away but people were running over there to hand him money as fast as they could. UGH!!

John
P1200136 (resized).JPGP1200136 (resized).JPG

1 month later
#40 4 years ago

Just installed my Fish Tales and Radical! I’m very pleased with these glasses. The colors look great. Even with incandescent bulbs they look great. Thanks CPR for a great product

08C8EBA0-4B14-4584-8409-8E6CA9610013 (resized).jpeg08C8EBA0-4B14-4584-8409-8E6CA9610013 (resized).jpegAC19D03D-3C18-4704-9067-380A3A1CF156 (resized).jpegAC19D03D-3C18-4704-9067-380A3A1CF156 (resized).jpeg
#41 4 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

SS is available!!!

#42 4 years ago

Just thought I would share......I have replaced several translites (about 9) with the new CPR Backglasses and have found that the best way to fit the plastic channels is to slightly "warm" the plastic channel with a heat gun ( or hair dryer ) "Slightly" just enough to make it a little pliable and you can tap it right on. Don't warm the entire plastic all at once, warm it as you tap it on....Takes about 4 minutes to do the entire glass.....

#43 4 years ago

Got my new Harlem Globetrotters BG and although not yet installed, thought I'd pop open the box to make sure it was intact
No problems at all

IMG_6556 (resized).jpgIMG_6556 (resized).jpgIMG_6557 (resized).jpgIMG_6557 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-cpr-backglasses and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.