Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 82 days ago by Parkshow30
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 83 days ago

Hi,

I have a question about mylar uplift on the playfield. I have a system 11 machine that came with mylar installed on the playfield when I bought it. I hadn't paid much attention over the years, but it came to my awareness that the mylar appears to be lifting around most of the inserts. I've read a few threads that say to leave it alone unless you have experience in removing mylar. But I haven't seen any threads addressing my specific question, which is this: if I simply ignore the mylar lifting around the inserts and just live with it, will it get progressively worse over time? In other words, will it continue to lift past the insert areas and eventually effect the remainder of the playfield over time? Or will it stay localized only to the insert areas?

#2 83 days ago
    Quoted from Geetarslinga:

Or will it stay localized only to the insert areas?

Probably this. Heat from the bulbs do it.

Read up on your game, someone here should have tried it. Some you can freeze off clean, and some a lot of the paint comes with.

LTG : )

#3 83 days ago

If the lifting is just visual I'd lean towards leaving it. If it affects the ball's path it's worth thinking about pulling it.

It's a big risk, plan carefully if do attempt to remove it. It's the kind of thing you can't undo once you start.

#4 83 days ago

It's a big undertaking with a system 11 usually. Not worth it for a little lifting here & there

#5 83 days ago

Which game, and does it effect ball travel?

I had an F14.... I got lucky with the freeze technique. I went SLOWLY.

YMMV

Good luck on your decision.

#6 83 days ago

Trim off the lifting edges with exactly knife, pulling the mylar rarely turns out well

#7 83 days ago

Had this happen on my Whirlwind. Debated pulling it all, ended up doing what transprtr4u suggested. Stupid sharp exacto. Cut JUST past where the bubbling was, and removed. Worked good enough for pinball.

#8 83 days ago

Mylar freezes off easy. The glue remains on the PF. That is hell removing.

#9 83 days ago
    Quoted from Geetarslinga:

Hi,
    I have a question about mylar uplift on the playfield. I have a system 11 machine that came with mylar installed on the playfield when I bought it. I hadn't paid much attention over the years, but it came to my awareness that the mylar appears to be lifting around most of the inserts. I've read a few threads that say to leave it alone unless you have experience in removing mylar. But I haven't seen any threads addressing my specific question, which is this: if I simply ignore the mylar lifting around the inserts and just live with it, will it get progressively worse over time? In other words, will it continue to lift past the insert areas and eventually effect the remainder of the playfield over time? Or will it stay localized only to the insert areas?

I always leave it. It doesn’t look that bad and you don’t notice it when focusing on playing. Plus the playfield stays protected. Seen a lot of nightmarish Mylar removal jobs that turn a decent game into a piece of junk.

#10 82 days ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

Trim off the lifting edges with exactly knife, pulling the mylar rarely turns out well

I’ve debating doing this on pins where it’s lifted around an edge.

Don’t you slice up the pf tho?

#11 82 days ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Get a scrap piece of mylar or something similar and practice a little. A sharp knife or razor is important. Make a few shallow cuts rather than one deep cut, this way you don't go too deep into the paint, if at all. If you do cut into the paint, the cutline will be on the edge of the mylar, and won't show. Just don't make the cut longer than you have to.

#12 82 days ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

I had Mylar lifting on a street fighter 2 that was affecting ball travel. I cut with an exacto knife and then put a new piece down. Going slow it was actually pretty easy did not cut into the playfield at all but you can see where the new piece is so not ideal if you are doing a restoration. I’m not too concerned with looks though I just like my games to play well. Playfield is nice and flat now.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mylar-lifting-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.