Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2799 Large (resized).jpeg
IMG_2759 Medium (resized).jpeg
68763367828__747CD3E5-4AB6-41DF-AFB7-E866706B67A1.fullsizerender 2 Medium (resized).jpeg
68763306275__67E18AC2-0154-4A00-8A8D-5D7F905EE996.fullsizerender 2 Medium (resized).jpeg
IMG_2763 Medium (resized).jpeg
IMG_2765 Medium (resized).jpeg
IMG_2760 Medium (resized).jpeg
IMG_2755 Medium (resized).jpeg
IMG_2220 (resized).JPG
IMG_2786 Medium (resized).jpeg
IMG_2785 Medium (resized).jpeg
IMG_2782 Medium (resized).jpeg
IMG_2784 Medium (resized).jpeg
IMG_2778 Medium (resized).jpeg
IMG_2777 Medium (resized).jpeg
IMG_2776 Medium (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

Greetings pinheads!

My Rush LE cabinet trim/legs are off to the powder coat shop to be turned into Prismatic Brass Monkey. While it was apart and I’m waiting for powder coat, I figured I’d complete the audio upgrade. I’ve upgraded all my Stern pins speaker/sub systems so far with the same gear so this wasn’t my first rodeo. In my non LE machines I had to order the 5.25" speaker plates in addition to the parts listed below. It's crazy to see the Focal speakers lined up next to the factory LE speakers and the factory premium speakers. I like the sound of a sealed 10" woofer for music and these Focal Access130 do not disappoint up top. None of this gear is top of the line by any means, but it's a huge jump up in performance from what comes installed in the games from the factory.

I have only been getting into pinball machines since October 2022, so I'm no expert when it comes to them. I like to tinker and try new things and build things that are not the same as an off the shelf system.

I figured I’d post some pics and my parts list for anyone who is interested in better sound and doesn’t want a freestanding sub on the ground. Enjoy!

Parts:

-Pinsound Stern subwoofer and line out connector.
-Focal 130AC 5.25” speakers, Sub 10 Slim subwoofer.
-JL XD400/4 V2 running in 3 channel mode. (Speakers 75 watts each, Subwoofer 200 watts)
-Meanwell UHP-500-15 500 watt, 15v power supply.
-3/4” mdf sub box outside dims: 15.75”x15.75”x6” (roughly .6 cubic feet)
-Various power cables/connectors from Amazon and garage spare parts bin.
-PR Mods cabinet volume switch for spike 2 games.
-Ninjacamp Mods expressive speaker and undercab lights.
-Polished Brass T channel.
-Pinstadium Neo Atom Fusion lights.

Overall the system plays loud and clear and I can adjust the balance of bass I want, and having the volume control on the front of the machine is super handy. The amp has its own power cord on the back of the machine cabinet and is triggered to turn on off the ticket dispenser 12v power output. There is about 3/8" to 1/2" clearance between the top of the amp and the solenoids brackets above.

(My background is car audio (many years ago) and home automation for the past 18 years. So I’m pretty comfortable taking these things apart to play with them)

IMG_2220 (resized).JPGIMG_2220 (resized).JPG68763306275__67E18AC2-0154-4A00-8A8D-5D7F905EE996.fullsizerender 2 Medium (resized).jpeg68763306275__67E18AC2-0154-4A00-8A8D-5D7F905EE996.fullsizerender 2 Medium (resized).jpeg68763367828__747CD3E5-4AB6-41DF-AFB7-E866706B67A1.fullsizerender 2 Medium (resized).jpeg68763367828__747CD3E5-4AB6-41DF-AFB7-E866706B67A1.fullsizerender 2 Medium (resized).jpegIMG_2759 Medium (resized).jpegIMG_2759 Medium (resized).jpegIMG_2755 Medium (resized).jpegIMG_2755 Medium (resized).jpegIMG_2760 Medium (resized).jpegIMG_2760 Medium (resized).jpegIMG_2786 Medium (resized).jpegIMG_2786 Medium (resized).jpegIMG_2763 Medium (resized).jpegIMG_2763 Medium (resized).jpegIMG_2765 Medium (resized).jpegIMG_2765 Medium (resized).jpegIMG_2768 Medium (resized).jpegIMG_2768 Medium (resized).jpegIMG_2769 Medium (resized).jpegIMG_2769 Medium (resized).jpegIMG_2770 Medium (resized).jpegIMG_2770 Medium (resized).jpegIMG_2771 Medium (resized).jpegIMG_2771 Medium (resized).jpegIMG_2774 Medium (resized).jpegIMG_2774 Medium (resized).jpegIMG_2775 Medium (resized).jpegIMG_2775 Medium (resized).jpegIMG_2776 Medium (resized).jpegIMG_2776 Medium (resized).jpegIMG_2782 Medium (resized).jpegIMG_2782 Medium (resized).jpegIMG_2784 Medium (resized).jpegIMG_2784 Medium (resized).jpegIMG_2777 Medium (resized).jpegIMG_2777 Medium (resized).jpegIMG_2778 Medium (resized).jpegIMG_2778 Medium (resized).jpegIMG_2785 Medium (resized).jpegIMG_2785 Medium (resized).jpeg
#2 1 year ago

That's gotta thump!

#3 1 year ago

I guess the game is a keeper coz that sub and LED strips will make it difficult to dolly around.

#4 1 year ago

Were you able to put the AC cover back on in the backbox with those speakers and the Expressive speaker lights? I know it's a tight fit back there on the right side.

I would suggest getting gold speaker surrounds that allow the light to shine through them. It will make the Expressive Speaker Lights much more impactful vs the metal factory surrounds that do not allow any light to shine through them.

I think the gold t-molding would be a nice change.

It looks, and looks like it would sound, great.

Doug (SpeakerLightKits.com)

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Were you able to put the AC cover back on in the backbox with those speakers and the Expressive speaker lights? I know it's a tight fit back there on the right side.
I would suggest getting gold speaker surrounds that allow the light to shine through them. It will make the Expressive Speaker Lights much more impactful vs the metal factory surrounds that do not allow any light to shine through them.

No, the power cover had to stay off to clear the speaker magnet. Im sure I could have found different speakers, but the cover off doesn't bother me at all. Are you saying the factory LE gold speaker rings that ae on it are different than the gold speake rings sold? I'll have to look again, but i remembered the lights shining through the rings that came on the game.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from metallik:

I guess the game is a keeper coz that sub and LED strips will make it difficult to dolly around.

Yeah, my games don't move out of my basement. Too much effort just getting them back up the stairs.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

That's gotta thump!

Sounds a lot better for sure. I think the limitation to all the games is the actual quality of the files and the processing power of the main audio board.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from kustomtheater:

No, the power cover had to stay off to clear the speaker magnet. Im sure I could have found different speakers, but the cover off doesn't bother me at all. Are you saying the factory LE gold speaker rings that ae on it are different than the gold speake rings sold? I'll have to look again, but i remembered the lights shining through the rings that came on the game.

The gold speaker surrounds that come on Rush LE from the factory are metal. They do not allow any light to shine through the. The Gold Mirror ones I sell here:

http://www.speakerlightkits.com/5.25-SPIKE-2-Speaker-Surrounds.html

...are partially etched to allow light to shine through them. I was really hoping someone would make a head-to-head comparison video showing the advance of switching the surrounds to ones that allow the light to shine through them, but I haven't seen one yet.

Look at your speakers (from a player's position) and then check out this video...

https://vimeo.com/739294398

...specifically, the left and right swirling patterns after the "Riding out the day's events" line in Tom Sawyer. That part is just the one I saw that was very noticeable when video different videos.

Though it is an improvement, it may make your tight spot a bit tighter as this is what it says on the Ninja Camp listing:

We installed the translucent gold acrylic speaker surrounds from speakerlightkits.com, and I have to say, it's definitely a big improvement... Much more light comes through and they really pop compared to the stock gold metal plates. To be clear, these translucent speaker surrounds are NOT required, they are optional but recommended for their improved aesthetics. Note that these are slightly thicker than the factory metal plates, so take at least 1/16" off of your speaker depth measurements if you plan to use these.

I think the light showing through the surrounds make the Expressive Speaker Lighs look much better.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I see what you mean now. They are metal from factory! I never noticed that. Ill order some gold ones from you. Side note, do you have speaker surrounds that match Foo Fighters LE green? I have that machine on order.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from kustomtheater:

I see what you mean now. They are metal from factory! I never noticed that. Ill order some gold ones from you. Side note, do you have speaker surrounds that match Foo Fighters LE green? I have that machine on order.

The green surrounds on Foo Fighers LE are the same part number as the green surrounds on TMNT LE......and they were plastic and did allow light to shine through them. So, there shouldn't be any need for a replacement on them.

As it is.... I doubt the green (it's more of a dark, hunter green shade of green) or the fluorescent green I have available is a close match to the lime green on the LE surrounds on FF or TMNT.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

The green surrounds on Foo Fighers LE are the same part number as the green surrounds on TMNT LE......and they were plastic and did allow light to shine through them. So, there shouldn't be any need for a replacement on them.
As it is.... I doubt the green (it's more of a dark, hunter green shade of green) or the fluorescent green I have available is a close match to the lime green on the LE surrounds on FF or TMNT.

Oh sweet! Thanks!!!

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

The gold speaker surrounds that come on Rush LE from the factory are metal. They do not allow any light to shine through the. The Gold Mirror ones I sell here:
http://www.speakerlightkits.com/5.25-SPIKE-2-Speaker-Surrounds.html
...are partially etched to allow light to shine through them. I was really hoping someone would make a head-to-head comparison video showing the advance of switching the surrounds to ones that allow the light to shine through them, but I haven't seen one yet.
Look at your speakers (from a player's position) and then check out this video...
https://vimeo.com/739294398
...specifically, the left and right swirling patterns after the "Riding out the day's events" line in Tom Sawyer. That part is just the one I saw that was very noticeable when video different videos.
Though it is an improvement, it may make your tight spot a bit tighter as this is what it says on the Ninja Camp listing:
We installed the translucent gold acrylic speaker surrounds from speakerlightkits.com, and I have to say, it's definitely a big improvement... Much more light comes through and they really pop compared to the stock gold metal plates. To be clear, these translucent speaker surrounds are NOT required, they are optional but recommended for their improved aesthetics. Note that these are slightly thicker than the factory metal plates, so take at least 1/16" off of your speaker depth measurements if you plan to use these.
I think the light showing through the surrounds make the Expressive Speaker Lighs look much better.

Ill order your gold ones today and do a side by side video with one type in each speaker when they get here.

#13 1 year ago

Brass trim installed

IMG_2799 Large (resized).jpegIMG_2799 Large (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Games People

Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 8.00
Apparel - Unisex
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 275.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
Cabinet - Toppers
Space Coast Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Games People

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tatamy, PA
$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Games People

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Drumstarr mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
WilliPinball Mods

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Roswell, GA
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-version-of-a-stern-spike-2-sound-upgrade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.