(Topic ID: 79352)

My Guide To Types of Buyers

By HighProtein

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

181697.gif
    83936926.jpg
    MV5BMTc3NTM4NTMwOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjM1Mjg4NA@@._V1_SX214_.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider houseofpin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#27 10 years ago

#16 The Lying Flipper- Comes in and gives you a sob story about how this pin is for his kids (my Rocky and Bullwinkle pin) or is his "grail pin" and he only has $XXXX dollars to spend just to play on your emotions and keen observance of his surroundings (i.e. that you probably don't need the money...LOL). You feel bad and give him a great deal since he appears to be a really nice guy without a lot of financial resources. You then look on CL and see your pin advertised the next day for $600-$700 more then he paid a couple of days ago (yes, I have had this happen twice already (called both buyers on it after the fact)....unbelievable the lies people will tell to make a few dollars on CL....main reason I changed my CL pricing strategy when getting rid of pins as you attract all the local flippers if priced below market and then they try to "low ball" even more since they assume there is even more room to negotiate...LOL !!!).

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from VAPins:

Come on man, you bought that BSD for $1600 and bragged to everyone that it priced perfectly because it was a "6 or 7/10... with a slightly bad touch up on the playfield and faded cabinet."
    Then you tried flipping it on Craigs for $2,100... saying that the game has two "minor touch ups" that "don't bother you."
    ??? Seriously

Get your story straight. The BSD I bought was from someone that paid $2,500 for it earlier in PA. He brought it to the York Show and was asking $2,400. Pinside "ripped the guy up" (what else is new) and he dropped the price to $2,000 or $1,900 if I remember correctly. I asked him if I picked it up in a few hours what he would take....he told me $1,600 so it was a "no brainer". Everyone on pinside had the opportunity but all they did was insult the guy and he got frustrated. For your information, the pin sold for NO PROBLEM for $2,100.....had multiple people wanting to buy it months after I played it and decided I didn't want to keep a BSD. My point was that all anyone had to do at YORK was make the guy a fair offer as he got "ripped off" at $2,500 but at $1,600 he gave me an exceptional deal.

As for the game. It had the better playfield and no real issues other then the two touch-ups and faded cabinets (both which I disclosed in the ad and I also sent pictures to people who responded to show them both imperfections as I never want anyone making a drive and come to my home and be disappointed). I had 2 people come shortly after the ad and play the game and both could find nothing other then the "touch-ups" I described (I had taken a deposit from the first guy and told him he could have two days to make up his mind so a second guy who lived down the street came by in case he "backed out" and was 500% certain he wanted it if the first guy backed out...so I guess the game was really "misrepresented"). Lets not act like a misrepresent and ship games. I only do local sales (main reason I don't use pinside because I don't ship) so people who know a lot more then me (which is most...lol) can look at the game and I am sure they are happy before they buy (I may have missed something so I want them to take a look before they turn over their hard earned cash). So lets not try to act like I have misrepresented anything. AS FOR THE PRICE.....you better believe I sell for market as after I sold under market and saw the "flippers" just take my great price and make money I said "forget that". I NEVER buy a game and "flip it" (i.e. buy it with the intention of not keeping it and the shortest time I have ever bought and sold a game was that BSD which I sold 3-4 months after I bought it and truly I had UNBELIEVABLE INTEREST in that game at $2,100 and NO PROBLEM selling it at all (I never do on CL because I always price games fairly.....and they are all LOCAL BUYERS as I never have anything to hide so why ship). So get your facts straight. 90% of pinside sells for what they feel is "fair price" regardless of what they have paid.....there might be a small segment (maybe 10%) that will sell under well under fair value if they got a great deal. However, just look around "they are the exception not the rule".....I will look for your ads since I guess your prices are so great......I have sold 8 pins and all but one has sold to the FIRST GUY who looked at it......that tells me all I need to know about "how I misrepresent pins"......and the only guy who didn't buy I ended up buying something from him and we have become good friends (and the reason he didn't buy had nothing to do with my description or representation of the pin).

So get over it......I can assure you that I am not driving 2-3 hours one way to PA. to make $500 (didn't for that low of an hourly rate my last 10-15 years of working so why start now in retirement and moving pinball machines is a lot harder then being a CPA).....if you came to my house you would understand that the money was not the issue (as I would be shocked if I couldn't put 2-3 of your houses inside my house and I don't even work in order to keep mine and maintain my high standard of living (I assure you $500 isn't going to do much for me and if you stopped by you would definitely have to agree...LOL)). However, I also refuse to sell under market (I was not selling that BSD for $1,600 just to risk seeing it listed for $2K 2 days later on CL after I did 2 people favors and got burned when they listed my same pin on CL basically ASAP after they bought it from me.......that was my entire point (why feed the "local flippers" so now I make sure I list games for fair prices (2 examples I sold my HUO TSPP for $4,600 (had plenty of interest) and my nice TOM for $4,700 again had no problem selling both)). That's right I also sold my SS in a NY MINUTE for $5K (my cost basis was a little less then $4K about 6-7 months ago) and I am sure I could have gotten more but gave the guy a break as I had plenty of interest at $5,200 (asking price) but he was driving a long distance so I paid for his gas and expenses and he was very happy with his purchase when he arrived. Guess I should have sold that for my cost basis of under $4K as well so someone could have flipped it for $5K.

#52 10 years ago
    Quoted from ek77:

Don't forget the guy who while playing your game tells you it is worth $1,000 less then you are asking yet he is over at your house wasting your time and not out buying the game at the price he thinks it should sell at.

I now always tell someone before they even come over that is the price and it is a "take it or leave it price"....why I have never had any RECENT price issues with any buyers on CL. I make sure now they are 500% certain that if they drive out they will be wasting their time if they even try to negotiate. Truly, it makes life easier and you "weed out" any potential flippers (since if you priced a game fairly they can't make enough money to make it worth their time) and people who are going to "drive you nuts" (I had a couple of them as stated earlier with "sob stories" so I lowered the price only to find the games relisted on CL) and say whatever they need to in order to get a better price (i.e. this game is for my kid who loves Rocky and Bullwinkle and I only have $ XXX dollars to spend....then you see it on CL for a lot more then you sold it to him for the next day.....LOL)).

So price it right and it will sell without much problems and you also weed out "local flippers" and truly if you make everything clear before someone comes out the transaction goes so much smoother (my last 3-4 sales were as simple as the guys playing the games, doing test checks and spending 15-20 minutes going over the game and then just handing me the cash WITHOUT any negotiation games......as I truly made it clear before they came they would be wasting their time and mine if they even tried.....sure this "attitude" weeds out potential buyers but who cares......truly, I am never in need for the cash nor in a rush to sell anything I post.....patience selling is more important then patience buying (which is extremely important). I see HUO Elvis's advertised on here for $3,500-$4,000 and selling always over $3K......patience landed me one for $2,800 2 weeks ago that is "perfect".....that is just my most recent purchase.....patience landed me a nice lightly used MET PRO with $200 in mods for $3,700 a couple of months ago.....the list goes on and on....truly, few people have patience selling and if a game doesn't sell in a day or two they just panic and my best buys are people that overpriced games by a lot and got "no interest"......nobody even approaches them (i.e. the BSD for $2,500 at the York show....rather then talk to the guy everyone just INSULTED HIM.....I love it when people overprice a game by a lot......flippers don't bother trying to buy it and people don't bother making an offer so when I come along it is normally "a piece of cake"......it is sometimes the only offer they have received !!!! So they think about it for a day or two and bingo "I get an e-mail" and we talk and make it happen. Why I bought all my games at the top of the market last year and never lost a penny on selling any of them !!!! So I guess that makes me "stupid" as most on here would have you believe....patience is the key to everything in life (buying Real Estate, Stocks, etc.) and 90% of the world doesn't have it so the 10% that do always do very well (I still am laughing about all the AC/DC's on the market because people have to have the latest and greatest LUCI......it really is hysterical to me that people are willing to take a $1K loss and then pay NIB price for a LUCI because it is a "slightly better" game......my dad always taught me "live with the consequences of your decisions" and hey I bought an AC/DC premium and didn't wait so I enjoy it and sure I am not going to take a nice loss on my current AC/DC premium just to pay for a LUCI that will be also worth $1K less in a short amount of time as well. For what, some better artwork and maybe some better gameplay (honestly, I don't even know if the games play different but if it is "slightly better" that can't be that big a deal. IMHO).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider houseofpin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-guide-to-types-of-buyers?tu=houseofpin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.