IMG_0551 (resized).JPG
IMG_0550 (resized).JPG
IMG_0548 (resized).JPG
IMG_0547 (resized).JPG
IMG_0546 (resized).JPG
IMG_20180107_171540 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Hi,

This afternoon I had an accident when installing the creeping death blades in my Metallica Pro. When moving the upright playfield a bit to make room for the decal, the playfield came out of the rail and landed into the cabinet. We managed to get it out as soon as possible.

I visually checked all cables and connectors in the cabinet and backbox but could not find anything broken. However, I did see that one connector in the cabinet was not connected. I do not know if this is by factory or that I am missing something.

IMG_20180107_171540 (resized).jpgIMG_20180107_171540 (resized).jpg

The thing is that my sound is crap at the moment. It seems like it lost the subwoofer sound. I checked the yellow cables from the subwoofer but they seem to be okay.

Could it be the lose connector or do I have a greater problem?

Any advice much appreciated.

#2 6 years ago

I think a loose connection on the sub. And yes there is an extra connection down there.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

I think a loose connection on the sub

Connections on the cabinet sub are okay and I cannot find anything broken in the cables all along the way to the backbox.

Quoted from Buzz:

And yes there is an extra connection down there.

Does this mean it should be there as showed on the picture, not connected?

#4 6 years ago

These are the connections you should have. Sorry I had to sell mine or could take a fresh look.

IMG_0546 (resized).JPGIMG_0546 (resized).JPG

IMG_0547 (resized).JPGIMG_0547 (resized).JPG

IMG_0548 (resized).JPGIMG_0548 (resized).JPG

IMG_0550 (resized).JPGIMG_0550 (resized).JPG

IMG_0551 (resized).JPGIMG_0551 (resized).JPG

IMG_0552 (resized).JPGIMG_0552 (resized).JPG

IMG_0553 (resized).JPGIMG_0553 (resized).JPG

IMG_0554 (resized).JPGIMG_0554 (resized).JPG

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

These are the connections you should have. Sorry I had to sell mine or could take a fresh look.

Thank you very much for the info and pictures. Seems like I have to find a connector somewhere

#6 6 years ago

The extra plug that you pointed out is the connection for a shaker motor. If the playfield pulled on the harnesses you might want to check the connection on the circuit boards as well.

Steve
MI Pinball Refinery

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from HemiOrange09:

The extra plug that you pointed out is the connection for a shaker motor.

Oke, I do not have one so it seems logical that connector is not in use.

If the playfield pulled on the harnesses you might want to check the connection on the circuit boards as well.

Checked the connectors a few times. All seems oke. I disconnected the audio connector and connected it again. But still the sound is crap and subwoofer seems out.

#8 6 years ago

Fuse? Or did it puncher the sub maybe?

#9 6 years ago

Or if it hit the magnet on top hard maybe damaged it.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Fuses are all okay.

I recently installed a new subwoofer that has a metal harness. No damage seen there either.

Quoted from Buzz:

Or if it hit the magnet on top hard maybe damaged it.

This could have happened. But visually I do not see any damage.

I still have the factory sub, so I might install it back to test if the sub then works again.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Or did the playfield land on the speaker?.... you can unsolder the speaker and use a ohm meter to check the resistance of the speaker coil.

#12 6 years ago

If the speaker is bad. I have some new Stern stock woofers here. I'll give you one but if you can cover the shipping costs for overseas that would be great

#13 6 years ago

Or did the playfield land on the speaker?.... you can unsolder the speaker and use a ohm meter to check the resistance of the speaker coil.

Yes, this could have happened. We were quick in moving the playfield back into the rails and didn't take any notice of what was hit.

If the speaker is bad. I have some new Stern stock woofers here. I'll give you one but if you can cover the shipping costs for overseas that would be great

Hi Steve, that is very kind of you but I recently put in a new subwoofer so I still have the stock one to test with.

I think that is the way to go and take it from there. If the stock subwoofer works we know what happened.

#14 6 years ago

I installed the old stock subwoofer back in and the sound is good again So no cables seem to be harmed.

I wonder though what happened to the new subwoofer as there are no marks of it being touched by the playfield. Time for an investigation

#15 6 years ago

Checked the resistance of the new subwoofer (that is 8 Ohm) today and we measured 7,4 on the meter. So that seemed to be okay.

After that we hooked up the new subwoofer to a stereo installation the sound was terrible. Something is damaged.
I will send the new sub woofer back to the supplier as it only was 5 weeks old.

#16 6 years ago

They just don't make them the way they used too.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

They just don't make them the way they used too.

I installed the speaker set based on information and good experiences from fellow pinheads on a German Forum. They installed a lot of these speakers as upgrade for the stock ones and all reviews were good.

I might have had a bad production model.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 149.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.95
$ 12.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-sound-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.