• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2013-05-12_19.01.09.jpg
metallicaatmarvins.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Set up a Metallica Pro at Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum in Farmington Hills, Michigan last night.

Played a few games and the game is fun. Seems different than some of the Stern offerings of late. Nice and bright and colorful playfield.

Parker

metallicaatmarvins.jpgmetallicaatmarvins.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Awesome! Looks like they got rid of the WOZ and replaced it with the Metallica?

I might have to go over this afternoon and check it out....

#3 10 years ago

They got rid of WOZ? I'm in MI this week and planned on going there tonight. Why would they get rid of WOZ?

#4 10 years ago

I dunno if they did, I just swear that WOZ was there between Tron and Elvis before. I could also be dead wrong.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

They got rid of WOZ? I'm in MI this week and planned on going there tonight. Why would they get rid of WOZ?

Awesome! Now you get to play Metallica!!!!!

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from RyThom:

Awesome! Looks like they got rid of the WOZ and replaced it with the Metallica?
I might have to go over this afternoon and check it out....

Lol. Marvin has a WOZ on order. Im not sure where or if the sample game has gone.

#7 10 years ago

I thought pinchroma said all the pre-production pins were heading back to send the production ones. Probably what's going on here.

#8 10 years ago

Just got back from closing down Marvin's! In short, Metallica is totally awesome! (and WOZ is indeed gone)

Some impressions while the game is still fresh in my mind:

- The game is FAST! I've never played essentially a NIB game before but everything on this game is crisp, fast, smooth and crazy-powerful. It makes the badass Tron next to it seem in need of a tune up.

- Metal ramps! Incredibly satisfying to hit full-blast.

- In-Line drop targets! My favorite playfield feature this side of spinners and they just aren't around nearly as much as they should be.

- Combos! Wow, what a rush! I hit a 5-way combo on my second game and felt like a million bucks.

- The sound is excellent! Listening to your favorite Metallica song while bashing tons of available stuff and zipping around fluid orbits and ramps, each with their own sound (the captive ball 'CLANG!' is the best) is a great time. The sound is cranked up super-loud at Marvin's too - play it before they turn it down!

- The callouts are great! I know, I can't believe I said that either. From watching videos, I stepped up to the machine with my mind made up that I hated the band callouts. Well, they might sound goofy, but they FEEL great! As my girlfriend said, "It's like you're playing pinball with the guys from Metallica!" They're especially fun when you're nailing combos, (successive "Nice shot!"-type lines) and the occasional "Holy S*IT!" on a successful skill shot is just too cool. To each their own, but I think the callouts are a hoot.

- The programming feels just a touch incomplete. There are moments where I feel a sound effect is needed, or the animation needs to speed up...not everything felt completely tightened down yet (multiball intros, especially). But man, when it is...this game is going to be incredible.

- I seriously don't think the "Mystery" scoop rewards anything but 500,000.

- Tons of stuff to shoot at, great kinetics, awesome machine!

And, oh yeah, 3rd place

2013-05-12_19.01.09.jpg2013-05-12_19.01.09.jpg

#9 10 years ago

Rythom I just got a semi reading that lol...

#10 10 years ago

Mine will be at my door as early Monday or late Wednesday, super excited. Your pre game thoughts were the same as mine are. Awesome review.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

Yes, WOZ is temporarily gone. The game there was a test game - it had serial number 0001P. The "P" was for prototype and it was sent back to New Jersey. Marvin's WOZ LE will be arriving as soon as JJP ships it which we expect to be next week.

Reminds me: I gotta get back to Marvin's today and turn adult language off on Metallica. F bombs not good with the kids around. What was the last game that had F words in the production ROM anyway?

Parker

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from michiganpinball:

Yes, WOZ is temporarily gone. The game there was a test game - it had serial number 0001P. The "P" was for prototype and it was sent back to New Jersey. Marvin's WOZ LE will be arriving as soon as JJP ships it which we expect to be next week.
Reminds me: I gotta get back to Marvin's today and turn adult language off on Metallica. F bombs not good with the kids around. What was the last game that had F words in the production ROM anyway?
Parker

The strange thing about the swearing is that it did beep out SH#@,but not F*^%. So I wonder why that is. I heard it beep Sh*# twice, but all other words were clear as day. Lol. I got you covered though, I just started swearing along with it real loud so everyone just thought I was crazy.

I think the last game with swearing was The Sopranos

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from michiganpinball:

Yeah, I definitely heard Metallica drop a real strong "MOTHER F*CKER!" in front of a 6 year old and his dad last night Good call, Parker!

#14 10 years ago

Guess I know what I'm doing on my lunch hour today!

#15 10 years ago

Sopranos has a lot of swearing, but even in adult mode, it sometimes bleeps out sh*t.

#16 10 years ago

Great review. I can't wait to play it.

Interesting point about the call outs. Like playing with the band.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

Great review. I can't wait to play it.
Interesting point about the call outs. Like playing with the band.

It's just like that! They'll tell you to do things like, "Shoot the left ramp!" and "Shoot the scoop!" then give you a big pat on the back when you hit combos, "That was some good shooting!". It's like having the guys there over your shoulder cheering you on while you play their game.

#19 10 years ago

I made a special trip to play it after work. I put in my $2.00 and got 4 games total after earning a free game on a 35 million point score. Free game was set at 30 million. I like when it is "reachable". I won't make mention of my other 3 scores.

Anyhow, it seemed like a lot of fun. I got the electric chair multi-ball and the cross multi-ball, but flopped on the snake multi-ball. I guess I just didn't really know what I needed to do to get it. The inline drops were cool and add some extra frustration when they all stand back up after a drain.

I have to say that I had my reservations about the theme, but the game was fun. Oh man, the sound was really bad though. A speaker upgrade would definitely be necessary.

My only knock on the game really was something that will probably be the case with Sterns forever more. And that was the overall "cheap" feeling to it. Yes, the metal ramps helped a little in that regard, but they looked really thin. And I really can't get used to the plastic apron. Yes, I realize that my complaints are circa 2010 now, but it is still bothersome.

But as far as features and variety of shots, the game seems to be all there.

#20 10 years ago

I hope the callouts can be configured for "minimal". Insults are cool, and "nice shot" is cool, but "Shoot the Pyramid!" is the main reason I sold Stargate. Though I do miss hearing "PICKLES NOT EGGS!"

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

7,600 (OBO)
$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 29.95
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 29.95
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 25.50
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-on-location-in-farmington-hills-michigan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.