(Topic ID: 347846)

Meaningless Poll-- Favorite Decade of Pinball?

By JakeFAttie

4 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by JakeFAttie
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“The GOAT decade of pinball production is....”

• The EM era (pre 1970's) 4 votes
      4%
    • The 1970s! 10 votes
      10%
    • The 1980's 20 votes
      19%
    • The freaking 1990's! 42 votes
      40%
    • 2000's?? 0 votes
    • 2010+ (the modern era) 29 votes
      28%

(105 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9833 (resized).jpeg
    3A637D70-2BF2-4BFD-B724-B27794D6B453 (resized).jpeg
    #1 4 months ago

Need something to distract yourself from the depressing headlines and Bubble Bursting/Market Crashing/Taco threads? Enjoy this meaningless poll!

Which decade is your favorite for pinball machines produced? Are we in the Golden Era now? Or was it the 90's? Or maybe you're an EM man? I just want to get a sense of the overall ratios of it all.

#2 4 months ago

Everything from Funhouse (90) to Cactus Canyon (98) seems to be cut from the same amazing set of creativity, quality, and engineering innovation. The last 5 years have been pretty stellar too!

#3 4 months ago

Today, starting from about AC/DC and Star Trek when Stern really started putting their act together. The modern games blow away the 90's for everything from production values to strategic depth to mechanical and electronic reliability. This is the golden age, whatever the people bleating about "I just want to bash a simple castle/saucer" might say.

#4 4 months ago

No love for the 80s? So far no one has cast a vote there. Tons of innovations, the upper playfield, the lower playfield, the jackpot shot, the wizard mode! (yeah i count BK2K and LCA as the first ones) The soundtrack on the System 11s alone have to make you think about it.

#5 4 months ago

60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s for me.

Now to get tacos.

#6 4 months ago

Tie between 90’s and 2010+. A few years ago I would have said 90s, but a lot of great games have come out and looks like more to come.

#7 4 months ago

2000 to 2009.

In the worst decade ever in coin op, Gary Stern kept pinball alive.

And some of the games he made in that time have stood the test of time.

LTG : )

#8 4 months ago

The 1980s, brought in full force Solid State era.

#9 4 months ago

85-95.

#10 4 months ago
    Quoted from vikingerik:

Today, starting from about AC/DC and Star Trek when Stern really started putting their act together. The modern games blow away the 90's for everything from production values to strategic depth to mechanical and electronic reliability. This is the golden age, whatever the people bleating about "I just want to bash a simple castle/saucer" might say.

People really don’t know what Golden Age means anymore. Stern’s reliability is a joke.
    Until Stern starts pushing 10k+ machines regularly, we aren’t even in the Silver Age. This is a Renaissance and maybe a Bronze Age or whatever they call the 3rd wave revivals.

Golden age for pinball was the 1930s and 40s when there were hundreds and hundreds of manufacturers and pinball was so widespread everyone around the country started banning it.

Often people overlook and take “Golden Ages” for granted because they fundamentally change our culture.
    Video games had their Golden Age in the late 70s and early 80s when they were invented.

#11 4 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s for me.
    Now to get tacos.

I can go there.

3A637D70-2BF2-4BFD-B724-B27794D6B453 (resized).jpeg3A637D70-2BF2-4BFD-B724-B27794D6B453 (resized).jpeg
    #12 4 months ago

No need for a full decade: 1977-1983

#13 4 months ago

Definitely, the 90s for me.

#14 4 months ago

90s and it's not even close. Modern era (2010+) gets 2nd place.

#15 4 months ago

I actually thought the modern era would be winning by a mile since it seems like that's where so much of the conversation and buzz is around here, but at the moment the 90's are ahead.

Obviously the code is deeper these days, but the fun and maybe even the value is with the 90's games. (meaning only that the modern games are so expensive and you do seem to get less on the playfield for the money).

But the polling is still early at 65 votes. let's see where we are at 100 votes...

#16 4 months ago

1975 to 1984
    Best of the EM, the birth of Solid State and the Awesome year that was Bally 1981

#17 4 months ago

60s all the way for me
    baby!!!

#18 4 months ago

At 86 votes the 90's are ahead by a good ten votes.

No votes for the 2000's, probably because many folks don't realize that Sharkey's Shootout actually came out in 2000.

#19 4 months ago

Looks like I have a nice upward trend in the 90s and another the modern machines. (Blue is mine, green is a friend)

IMG_9833 (resized).jpegIMG_9833 (resized).jpeg

#20 4 months ago

90s will always be the best imo. Those pins have original themes, lots of humor, wonderful dmd animations, a ruleset that can be understood even by beginners and unique toys/mechs that define each game apart from the others. They hit the sweetspot between fun and challenging.

Today's modern games that Stern and others are churning out feels like the same game over and over, just with different art and a million flashing lights. It doesn't help that the themes are always boring movie/comic licences with zero originality. Lastly, the rulesets have become so deep and complicated that the average player will se about 10% of them and don't understand what to do. Don't get me started on the lcd screen that plays long movie clips that the player can't look at while playing. If I want to watch a movie I won't play a pinball.

#21 4 months ago

at 100 votes the people have spoken! 90's games rule! While there is some love for modern games, it would be wise for manufacturers to listen up and start making more cool 90's games! More Toys! Less Videos! More money on the playfield! Less expensive IPs! Also, Cheaper Prices!

Thanks to all who participated; carry this knowledge with you and may your day be slightly less meaningless.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meaningless-poll-favorite-decade-of-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.