Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Jamesays
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

I Smell Bullshit (resized).png
    Bullshit Confirmed (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 3.19.11 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 3.17.24 PM (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 1 year ago

Is there a change to Marketplace fees or did I miss something? Previously I would pay if I successfully sold to a Pinsider.
    I was prompted to pay up front this time and decided to keep my game. I didn’t see anything saying I would be refunded

#2 1 year ago

yeah I posted some toppers, no more charge at sales, it looks like you have to pay up front now. I liked old system better.

#3 1 year ago

Definitely. Some help would be appreciated from a moderator. I just want my $70 back

#4 1 year ago

Could this have been a change to deal with sellers that say decided to keep to avoid paying the fee?

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from jfh:

Could this have been a change to deal with sellers that say decided to keep to avoid paying the fee?

And hurt the people that do pay when they actually sell it? If this is the new normal I doubt I will use it to sell again. You should be refunded immediately if you have to pay immediately

#6 1 year ago

I tried to pay; but there isn't a PayPal or Discover option so I didn't. Looks like I'll just post my games on Facebook.

#7 1 year ago

Pretty sure this was done as more people then not we’re just skipping out on paying the fee. Shame really as it’s a minor fee given the exposure you get for this stuff. The getting ready to list this game or that post is a prime example.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from TomN:

Pretty sure this was done as more people then not we’re just skipping out on paying the fee. Shame really as it’s a minor fee given the exposure you get for this stuff. The getting ready to list this game or that post is a prime example.

Understandable but I’ve paid the fee multiple times and have been honest. Paying up front is one thing but being refunded is my concern. Even EBay doesn’t do this

#9 1 year ago

Did you list a NIB games? I'm fairly certain you have to pay a "promo" fee if you list a NIB game in the Pinside marketplace.

When I just now looked at the classified's page to create an ad for a game, it still states that you are ONLY charged a fee if your item actually sells. There is still a "free" checkbox to post the item for sale in the forums, just like it has always appeared.

#10 1 year ago

It was for a Chexx Hockey. Didn’t see an option for NIB. Didn’t list it as a pinball obviously.

Any help would be appreciated. $70 is $70

#11 1 year ago

You listed a non pinball machine item (as new). It appears you are now charged for listing such things, based on the asking price you type? If you choose to sell a non-NIB Pinball Machine, it does not prompt you to pay up front, just like it has always been. ??? Not really sure what happened.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from greeneye:

Is there a change to Marketplace fees or did I miss something?

Quoted from jfh:

There hasn't been a change that I'm aware of.

Quoted from greeneye:

Previously I would pay if I successfully sold to a Pinsider. I was prompted to pay up front this time and decided to keep my game.

What were you trying to list?

Quoted from snyper2099:

Did you list a NIB games? I'm fairly certain you have to pay a "promo" fee if you list a NIB game in the Pinside marketplace.

That's a selectable option for distributors who don't want to advertise a price up front. Otherwise, it's no different than listing anything else.

Quoted from greeneye:

It was for a Chexx Hockey. Didn’t see an option for NIB. Didn’t list it as a pinball obviously.
    Any help would be appreciated. $70 is $70

$70 doesn't seem to make mathematical sense. I'm not sure what adds up to that, unless you picked multiple ad add-on options.

I do see that you marked your super chex ad from a few days ago with a "featured ad" promotional option, but that usually only carries a fee of $25-$30. Did you use any other options? Were you trying to renew your ad?
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

I tried to pay; but there isn't a PayPal or Discover option so I didn't. Looks like I'll just post my games on Facebook.

Pinside changed over to Stripe a year ago.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

Paypal's API ended up being too buggy to continue using, unfortunately. And paypal support didn't really respond when there was an issue.

Stripe (the payment processor in use right now) should support pretty much every card, including discover.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Paypal's API ended up being too buggy to continue using, unfortunately. And paypal support didn't really respond when there was an issue.
    Stripe (the payment processor in use right now) should support pretty much every card, including discover.

Paypal also isn't a bank...so they can just freeze your account for years and give no reason, and face no repercussions. Stripe is 100% better for buyers and sellers.

#16 1 year ago

Thanks for the response.

I was initially charged $50 for listing it (the Chexx for $3500)

Then I paid an additional $20 to feature it

#17 1 year ago

I was toying around with this a bit and was able to recreate what the OP is saying.

If you create a listing in either the Parts or the Mods category, and list the condition as "New" in the drop-down box, it does create an ad placement fee based on the asking price. If you sell Parts or Mods that have a $3500 price to them, and list the condition as 'New', it generates a $50 fee. A $35 part/mod generates a $3 fee. There also a blurb that recommends anybody regularly selling new parts/mods to create a pinside shop.

So I'm guessing you listed the Chexx in one of those categories, and listed the condition as NEW.

Listing in any other condition than 'new' does NOT generate an ad placement fee, nor does using the "other" marketplace category.

#18 1 year ago

It's so obvious the people that don't pay the fees by just checking their marketplace history. Dummies posting 100 ads and then 99 unsuccessful? GTFO.

People just pay up and stop scamming the system. I would love to see the moderators go after these guys more so the rest of us who pay don't get punished.

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from delt31:It's so obvious the people that don't pay the fees by just checking their marketplace history. Dummies posting 100 ads and then 99 unsuccessful? GTFO.
    People just pay up and stop scamming the system. I would love to see the moderators go after these guys more so the rest of us who pay don't get punished.

Maybe a number of successful ads next to your avatar in threads for people to wear like some sort of badge of honor like they do the number of pins in their collection? I'm 75 for 85 successful ads with completed transactions! How do we make something like this a badge of honor for folks?

#20 1 year ago

Just charge an up front fee to place an ad on the site. Make it small like $5 if no ad promo options chosen.

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

I was toying around with this a bit and was able to recreate what the OP is saying.
    If you create a listing in either the Parts or the Mods category, and list the condition as "New" in the drop-down box, it does create an ad placement fee based on the asking price. If you sell Parts or Mods that have a $3500 price to them, and list the condition as 'New', it generates a $50 fee. A $35 part/mod generates a $3 fee. There also a blurb that recommends anybody regularly selling new parts/mods to create a pinside shop.
    So I'm guessing you listed the Chexx in one of those categories, and listed the condition as NEW.
    Listing in any other condition than 'new' does NOT generate an ad placement fee, nor does using the "other" marketplace category.

Thanks. I was wondering how this all happened!

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

robin just basically confirmed this. Items listed as "new" will incur a fee based on the price.

The intention was to encourage sellers of new products (mods, toppers, etc) to use the shop, rather than the (flea) market area.

Quoted from greeneye:

Thanks. I was wondering how this all happened!

In this case, the chex game probably shouldn't have been listed as "new".

I would encourage you to reach out to robin about this, if you haven't heard back from him already.

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from delt31:

It's so obvious the people that don't pay the fees by just checking their marketplace history. Dummies posting 100 ads and then 99 unsuccessful? GTFO.

If you happen to notice someone doing this, you're welcome to reach out to the mod team privately to let us know, and we can take a look at it.

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

robin just basically confirmed this. Items listed as "new" will incur a fee based on the price.
    The intention was to encourage sellers of new products (mods, toppers, etc) to use the shop, rather than the (flea) market area.

In this case, the chex game probably shouldn't have been listed as "new".
    I would encourage you to reach out to robin about this, if you haven't heard back from him already.

Yes I shouldn’t have listed this item as “New” then. I would have preferred an option lik “As New” or “New Out Of Box”. I can count on one hand how many times I’ve played it lol

Thanks for the help!

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

PayPal is probably hands down the most common on-line payment I'm sure there has been improvements to the API recently. BTW Discover isn't supported & I don't feel comfortable using my bank card any other option? Thanks.

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

PayPal is probably hands down the most common on-line payment. BTW Discover isn't supported & I don't feel comfortable using my bank card any other option? Thanks.

Just because PayPal is a commonly used payment processor doesn't change the fact that it was very frustrating to use. There were too many transaction errors happening and no support.

I'm seeing discover on the default list of supported cards. Do you get any errors when you try to enter your card info?

Unfortunately, there are currently no other methods of parent other than through stripe.

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Just because PayPal is a commonly used payment processor doesn't change the fact that it was very frustrating to use. There were too many transaction errors happening and no support.
    I'm seeing discover on the default list of supported cards. Do you get any errors when you try to enter your card info?
    Unfortunately, there are currently no other methods of parent other than through stripe.

When I used my Discover card it didn't work on their site it says it's supported; but upon opening first window no Discover icon. Probably need to add into the API/plugin?

The PayPal thing seems funny to me because really large companies for profit use it to process tens of thousands a day so there must be a solution; if it was that buggy it wouldn't be as common to use PayPal. I believe you just sayin...

Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 3.17.24 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-07-19 at 3.17.24 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-07-19 at 3.19.11 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-07-19 at 3.19.11 PM (resized).png
    #28 1 year ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

but upon opening first window no Discover icon.

I don't think they display every single icon of all the cards they support in that tiny space.

Once you enter your card number, the icons may change.

Quoted from acedanger:

The PayPal thing seems funny to me because really large companies for profit use it to process tens of thousands a day so there must be a solution; if it was that buggy it wouldn't be as common to use PayPal. I believe you just sayin...

Maybe PayPal is focused on larger clients and doesn't have time or want to make time for smaller ones. Who knows.

#29 1 year ago

I made a pinball purchase with PayPal a while back where friends and family wouldn’t work after like 5 tries. Finally tried goods and services and that worked.

I had to talk up the chain a bit and explain the situation in great depth before they refunded me the fee. Apparently they had a glitch that night in the Friends and Family option. Never again will I use PayPal for a large transaction

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from delt31:

The worst is when someone has 0 games sold and then has F'ing POSITIVE FEEDBACK for games that are in their archived sales as unsold.

Guy last week had a used GZ Prem for $10K firm, advertised it as fair because of an "impending Stern price increase", was 0/10 in successful sales... but had 2 positive feedbacks on a pair of those games. Why should my fees go up because he's too chicken shit to pay his fees on his overpriced flips?

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

The worst is when someone has 0 games sold and then has F'ing POSITIVE FEEDBACK for games that are in their archived sales as unsold.
    Guy last week had a used GZ Prem for $10K firm, advertised it as fair because of an "impending Stern price increase", was 0/10 in successful sales... but had 2 positive feedbacks on a pair of those games. Why should my fees go up because he's too chicken shit to pay his fees on his overpriced flips?

Wait a second... who's fees went up? Lot of hostility and pitchforks in here...

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

If you happen to notice someone doing this, you're welcome to reach out to the mod team privately to let us know, and we can take a look at it.

Or we could do it publicly

I mean, can't the mods also have a search where if "Feedback > Items Sold" it raises a red flag for further investigation, maybe some other searches as well? Why do I have to do the leg work to catch the cheapskates?

This is pretty glaring, and not the only example. Remember, the guy below has ZERO successful sales according to the stats table...

I Smell Bullshit (resized).pngI Smell Bullshit (resized).png
    Bullshit Confirmed (resized).pngBullshit Confirmed (resized).png

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Wait a second... who's fees went up?

In theory fees go up when there's sizeable losses due to theft. If people steal a product, that lost cost needs to be made up. If people steal a service, that's lost revenue to the business. Both cases will result over time in higher prices for those who were honest in the first place.

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

In theory fees go up when there's sizeable losses due to theft. If people steal a product, that lost cost needs to be made up. If people steal a service, that's lost revenue to the business. Both cases will result over time in higher prices for those who were honest in the first place.

That's all well and fine but, Pinside fees (for used games) have been about the same ever since they were first implemented (2013 or 14?). It's a very affordable option considering all the 1099s being handed out to just about everyone with $600 or more in transactions, starting with 2022. Especially considering the price of most machines has doubled or tripled since 2014.

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Or just have robin put in a basic filter:
    1. 25+ games listed for sale
    2. 20%- successful (80%+ unsuccessful)

95% of those folks are skipping fees.

Or, if a user is less than X% successful after 25 games listed, charge them up front. X% could be 20% or something.

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Pinside fees (for used games) have been about the same ever since they were first implemented (2014?). It's a fairly affordable option considering all the 1099s being handed out to just about everyone starting with 2022.

If I'm not mistaken, there was 1 or 2 increases since implementation. Maybe additional tiers, maybe changes with your Pinside heart or whatnot, but I recall having this discussion in the past.

And yes, I've sold a few games recently and paid my fees and it was a small price to pay. So if they go up $10 or whatever, it doesn't break my bank. But in principal if they went up as a result of others not paying their fees and Pinside not being able to hit certain revenue targets, that's now additional money out of my pocket because others wanted to skirt the rules which is a shitty thing to do to other hobbyists here.

#37 1 year ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Why do I have to do the leg work to catch the cheapskates?

I'm not saying you should do the legwork. Just a quick message if you happen to stumble upon something like that.

Quoted from Yoko2una:

can't the mods also have a search where if "Feedback > Items Sold" it raises a red flag for further investigation, maybe some other searches as well?

Quoted from Riefepeters:

Or just have robin put in a basic filter:
    1. 25+ games listed for sale
    2. 20%- successful (80%+ unsuccessful)

95% of those folks are skipping fees.

Or, if a user is less than X% successful after 25 games listed, charge them up front. X% could be 20% or something.

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't know what @robin's plans are, but I'll make sure he sees these.

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

More
    PayPal is probably hands down the most common on-line payment I'm sure there has been improvements to the API recently

Nope. Garbage. I still fight PayPal s api regularly. Infact it so bad I tell customers to never trust the api results and to wait for the amount be debit from their account

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:This is pretty glaring, and not the only example. Remember, the guy below has ZERO successful sales according to the stats table...
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

If you can send us the username, we can take a look at it.

#40 1 year ago

PMd Robin 2 days ago. No response yet

#41 1 year ago

Hrm. Ive paid the fee on all my games Ive sold. But i have a lot of unsold ads as well. Ill put a game up and if I dont get much traction in two days i may take it down, and then maybe put it up again a week later. So i probably have more unsuccessful ads than successful ones. A game i have pending now ive listed like 4 times and im now just selling it.

I think the feedback is a more obvious method of finding folks skipping

#42 1 year ago

We are good now. Thanks Robin

#43 1 year ago

FYI Netherlands doesn't support Discover card.

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

FYI Netherlands doesn't support Discover card.

Player Club Gold card?

#45 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Player Club Gold card?

I thought I was losing my mind I tried multiple times. So I donated through PayPal with direct link that Robin provided me with since I refuse to use my bank card for any on-line purchases. But yes as long as your players club card is colored periwinkle then yes its absolutely accepted.

#46 1 year ago

I will start by saying everyone should pay their fees.I usually list on Here and Craigslist trying to find local cash.
    If I get too many flakes I will cancel and mark not sold.I have sold on craigslist and still paid my pinside ad fee.
    The fees are reasonable and the amount of people into Pinball who see the ads make it well worth it.Its also very helpful to see what games are listed for and sell for.Maybe there should be a half fee to list and when sold pay the other half,and then Buyer and Sellers please leave feedback.

#47 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

I will start by saying everyone should pay their fees.I usually list on Here and Craigslist trying to find local cash.
    If I get too many flakes I will cancel and mark not sold.I have sold on craigslist and still paid my pinside ad fee.
    The fees are reasonable and the amount of people into Pinball who see the ads make it well worth it.Its also very helpful to see what games are listed for and sell for.Maybe there should be a half fee to list and when sold pay the other half,and then Buyer and Sellers please leave feedback.

I appreciate the enthusiasm but I feel you’re being a little over zealous in regards to paying fees here. Simmer down

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from greeneye:

I appreciate the enthusiasm but I feel you’re being a little over zealous in regards to paying fees here. Simmer down

your right ,maybe a small posting fee and then pay the regular fee upon sale.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/marketplace-fees and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.