(Topic ID: 109118)

Looking for my next project, need some ideas...

By goingincirclez

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

OK, so this might be putting the cart beside the horse since I'm technically not 100% done with my first pin and restore, but it's never too early to start planning, right?

So I had a blast restoring my $550 Space Shuttle with all the crazy-stupid constraints I put on myself. It was a challenge, and I learned a lot, and that can only help for the next one. I am pretty much assured that "reasonable" project pins are the best (maybe only) way for me to acquire machines. But I love working on things and bringing them to life, so that's a big part of the fun for me. Especially since for next project, intend to have a better workspace and take my time.

That said, after reviewing themes and opinions and knowing what my family and I like, I've already got my titles narrowed down:

-Whirlwind
-Doctor Who

(STTNG, TZ, and even TAF look interesting as well... but I bet those are a bit pricier even as projects).

So, what should I expect to pay for a "fixer upper" on those? Cabinets don't bother me too much. I redid the boards in my Space Shuttle, as well as most of the pf mechanisms. Touch-ups and clearing don't scare me. I don't want a total disaster to work on, but can consider quite a bit of work if it's feasible... as I said, that's part of my personal fun. I'd rather avoid a money pit though, needing multiples this and that's which cost as much as a whole machine itself (unless the machine was cheap enough to reflect that of course).

#2 9 years ago

Your biggest problem will be actually locating one of those titles in project condition. Add the fact that many folks are looking for those titles in a project state - you are going to be fighting for them - and because of demand the price will likely be more.

#3 9 years ago

Yeah, it seems like there's a lot of grousing about the market and demand and such, but then again, every situation is different and you don't know until you dip your toes in, right?

If projects are too competitive, it might make a more complete one seem like a better deal.

But I was wondering how common any of the titles really are, out in the wild...

#4 9 years ago

I think patience is the key.

I have waited 12-15 years to find the last 2 games on my list.

A shadow that was restored exceptionally by Phatchit, Kevin here on the board,
(...and when he fixes the flashers, I want to share pics/vid)
That was $2100 over the summer, and a WH2O for $2500 this week.

We see projects for a couple hundred dollars in Florida on the boards
a Mata Hari for $350, an 8 Ball for $150.

http://www.villagebbs.com/forum/index.php/topic,26674.0.html

The 5 titles you are looking for are in high demand, so a little harder to find so fast, or "reasonable".
Not only because they are great games, but profit to some, when restored.

So your last sentence is key....

Quoted from goingincirclez:

I'd rather avoid a money pit though, needing multiples this and that's which cost as much as a whole machine itself (unless the machine was cheap enough to reflect that of course).

Thats the tough part....unknown parts, and how do you value your time....

Tricky to accomplish all, but perhaps you can find joy in restoring another title, while you keep your eyes and ears open for your "most wanted list"

Craigs list, Ebay notifications sorted by distance and/or price,, etc...

Good Luck....and Id love to see some pics of how your Space Shuttle came out.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Your biggest problem will be actually locating one of those titles in project condition

I don't know, I saw a pretty rough whirlwind at MGC a couple years back. Don't remember what he was asking, but it was easily under $1700 (but certainly not in the $500 range)

#6 9 years ago

Finding a Whirlwind or Dr Who for under $1500 is highly unlikely. Over the past 4 or 5 years "cheaper" project machines have really dried up or are bring way too much money.

I love fixing up project machines but over the past 3 or so years we have only been finding early SS and EM machines that are still cheap enough to be bought as projects. It seems once you get into "ramp machines" most in the project stage have already been grabbed up or are grossly overpriced.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I don't know, I saw a pretty rough Whirlwind at MGC a couple years back.

Yeah, I've heard of rough Whirlwinds popping up years ago. Saw one in Alaska pop up once, might as well been on Mars. I really haven't seen any in my area, and one I saw was grossly overpriced for the condition and 8 hours away. Demand has grown for all the System 11s, it's just that this title is one of the better ones and they made less of them compared to blockbuster titles like PinBot or F-14 Tomcat.

#8 9 years ago

OK, I understand the general market forces at work here, vis-a-vis popularity, supply, demand, etc. I know Pinside is full of "price gripe" thread after thread, so I don't want to turn this into that. Gotta pay to play and all, I get it.

However, with that said, help me out a little: what could I expect condition-wise, out of a $1500 WW or DrW? Something playable with minor nags, or uselessly beat to hell? Something needing dozens and dozens of man hours just to get presentable, or just a basic "shopping" job?

Or, phrased another way: I stripped my Space Shuttle playfield and repaired, touched and cleared it; repaired some plastics and replaced some others (nothing too exotic though); rebuilt the flipper and pop mechs; rebuilt the power board; and have done quite a bit of MPU board work (not quite done yet). What's a fair price for a WW or DrW needing that kind of TLC (or even more since again, I'd like to take my time on the next one)?

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

and Id love to see some pics of how your Space Shuttle came out.

I started a resto thread here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-rehab-by-a-pin-newbie-oh-noes

It's nearing completion... since I was new to all of this I didn't realize there were some lamp row issues until I completed the major work. At least I know they were pre-existing (after seeing the simulation on Pinball Arcade...)

The intro I provided there might also lend insight as to my approach, for what I'm seeking. I don't necessarily need (or want) a perfect, CQ showplace machine. But I'm totally down for something I can have a little fun turning into something most people would be proud of.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Or, phrased another way: I stripped my Space Shuttle playfield and cleared it, repaired some plastics and replaced some others (nothing too exotic though), rebuilt the flipper and pop mechs, rebuilt the power board, and have done quite a bit of MPU board work (not quite done yet). What's a fair price for a WW or DrW needing that kind of TLC (or even more since again, I'd like to take my time on the next one)?

Sounds like just about all my System 11s. I'd call it at $1000 +/- a couple hundred (...of course, that's if you can find it.)

#10 9 years ago

A $1500 Whirlwind would be a parts machine.

What you should do is keep buying cheaper games, fixing them up, then selling them for a slight profit. Five or six of them and you'll have enough to just buy a decent Whirlwind without having to restore it.

#11 9 years ago

Thanks for sharing the link...nice Job on the shuttle....A lot of hard work you did.

(Also, thanks for the kind words, I didnt realize you were the same person I spoke with)

I think in fairness, it is possible based on the condition of Space Shuttle to find a project like this in your titles...just harder, again. Prices will be everywhere, but because you are open to playfield issues, parts, cabinet, board work....anything is possible on price.
Some people are just happy to dump a hard project and move on.

Great Work, Creative and you persevered. I cant speak for value, because you did put in so much time, but ignoring that, it appears you enjoy the challenge, and I enjoyed reading about it.

Whatever makes you happy, I am sure you will enjoy the process again....

Art

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-my-next-project-need-some-ideas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.