Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20141014_232348_694.jpg
IMAG0406.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Anyone have or know where I can get the left-hand mist ball gate for BSD?
Williams part no. 12-7065. PBR doesn't have them.
Marco has the right hand one that probably could be re-bent to function but I'd rather have the correct one.
I've seen a couple threads for fabricating them as well and I might go that route but I thought I'd ask first.
PM me if you have an extra that you wouldn't mind parting with.
Thanks!

#2 9 years ago

Nobody has them but everyone is looking. I tried getting Cliffy to make some but he needs an original which I don't have. I wish PPS would put these on their to do list.

#4 9 years ago

Anyone got a pic of that area of their game showing the gate, solenoid and spring that they could share?

#5 9 years ago

How's this?

IMAG0406.jpgIMAG0406.jpg
#6 9 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

How's this?

IMAG0406.jpg 317 KB

Perfect.
Thanks!

If a ball hits it just right (on the left corner) will it slip under the gate?
Gravity appears to be the only thing holding the gate down.

#7 9 years ago

Gravity is the only thing holding it down, and a ball should not be able to slip under the corner. The gate in my picture is one I hand made and has since been replaced. If it's able to slip under the corner, then the gate is resting too far out and it needs to be bent in a little more. It should site nearly flush with the posts.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Gravity is the only thing holding it down, and a ball should not be able to slip under the corner. The gate in my picture is one I hand made and has since been replaced. If it's able to slip under the corner, then the gate is resting too far out and it needs to be bent in a little more. It should site nearly flush with the posts.

Thanks. Looks like it's going to be an experimentation of bending and spring tension to get it right.
I feel that if I bend down the current one any further, there won't be enough on the uptake to let the ball make it home during mist. I think I might have to try fabricating a new one.
Did the one you made not hold up?

#9 9 years ago

The one I made in the original thread that I linked held up fine, but I kept having problems that I later discovered was because the gate was sitting right in front of the opto beam and causing intermittent breaks in the beam. I made several out of brass (because it was much easier to work with) until I got to one I was really happy with. I then lucked into an original and have had that on my game since.

It is a delicate balance of getting the gate to sit low enough to not interfere with the playfield, but still open enough for the ball to pass under due to the very small amount of movement provided by the solenoid, and the proper height to stay out of the opto beam.

For my final brass gate, which I was happy with, I actually made the gate itself W shaped in the middle so that the ball had more room to pass under and also keep it out of the way of the opto. That worked really well and provided a ton more room for error.

Edit: The brass, being easier to work, was also easier for the ball to malform during play. It wasn't a big problem, but it did need to be straightened a little every once in a while.

Post edited by aobrien5: 5th edit? need to proof read more.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Nobody has them but everyone is looking. I tried getting Cliffy to make some but he needs an original which I don't have. I wish PPS would put these on their to do list.

When I had to sell my beloved BSD a few years back I had a few of these left in my parts stash that went with the game. I'll contact the guy that bought everything and see if he'll send one to Cliffy....

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

When I had to sell my beloved BSD a few years back I had a few of these left in my parts stash that went with the game. I'll contact the guy that bought everything and see if he'll send one to Cliffy....

That would be cool. I'm going to try and make one out of a bicycle spoke.

#12 9 years ago

Make sure it's not magnetic. Are bicycle spokes magnetic?

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Make sure it's not magnetic. Are bicycle spokes magnetic?

Stainless steel. So they are not magnetic.

#14 9 years ago

Hey guys, what all would cliffy need just the gate?

IMG_20141014_232348_694.jpgIMG_20141014_232348_694.jpg
#15 9 years ago

I've got some stainless steel welding rods I bought to make gates with if you want one.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

Hey guys, what all would cliffy need just the gate?

IMG_20141014_232348_694.jpg 163 KB

Send him an email but I believe that is all he would need.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

That would be awesome. Thank you.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I've got some stainless steel welding rods I bought to make gates with if you want one.

Yeah I had some spokes around here somewhere but I can't find them. Next time I come over to put my initials up on IMVE, I'll grab one.

#19 9 years ago

Man Id love one of these! I spent so much time making a less-than-perfect one.

2 months later
#20 9 years ago

I ordered from spare pinball parts australia and finally have a nice left gate on my game.

http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/12-7065.html

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from Solder_Splash:

Perfect.
Thanks!
If a ball hits it just right (on the left corner) will it slip under the gate?
Gravity appears to be the only thing holding the gate down.

If the spring is not installed properly, a ball can and will sneak into the left pocket. The software is smart enough to handle this by automatically releasing the mist ball from the right side and moving the magnet over to the left. MY BSD did this often when I first got it.

The spring should actually provide some force in holding the gate down. If it does not, try rotating one end 180 degrees in either direction until it works correctly. I also added a spacer to the lower mounting post screw that helps keep the gate from walking from side to side, which also helps.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-left-hand-ball-gate-for-bsd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.