Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by tylery85
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

I have a WPC-S game that has some lifting inserts. A few of them have lifted enough to cause cracking of the clear coat. What's the current most favorable way to deal with this? I don't intend to do a full restoration of this playfield. My goal at this point is stop any further damage. I have seen custom cut mylars used in the past and I have used this technique previously myself. Just wondering what others would do in this day and age.

Thanks

#2 1 year ago

Just keep it clean and play it. Its not worth the time +effort+ expense until its time to sell and move on. Enjoy your pinball play time.

#3 1 year ago

Just put some mylar over it if it really bothers you.
    Next step would be knocking out the inserts and re-glueing them in level

#4 1 year ago

Maybe look at getting a Playfield protector?

#5 1 year ago

Doesn't kruzman have a clear repair kit he offers? Basically a needle and a compound you can inject between the remaining clear and the insert?

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Maybe look at getting a Playfield protector?

I did this on my NGG. Don't really like it and will be removing it soon. Only two inserts are bothering me on NGG and I will place mylar on those. Thinking mylar for this will be fine. Just want to stop the chipping that is starting along the top of the raised circular insert. Clear repair kit sounds interesting. Is that along the lines of whats in Vid's thread?

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from SimplePin:

I have a WPC-S game that has some lifting inserts. A few of them have lifted enough to cause cracking of the clear coat. What's the current most favorable way to deal with this? I don't intend to do a full restoration of this playfield. My goal at this point is stop any further damage. I have seen custom cut mylars used in the past and I have used this technique previously myself. Just wondering what others would do in this day and age.
    Thanks

Lifted inserts can literally change the way the machine plays even when adding a protector or overlay - that's uber annoying to me. My Funhouse BADLY suffered from it but it was so worn out I replaced the PF. No warranties expressed or implied here but if I were to go back in time, I'd lightly clamp a board down over the raised insert, grabbed my heat gun/hair dryer, gingerly heated the affected insert from the bottom (keeping the heat moving around while someone else applied adjusted the clamps pressure from the topside. Id then super glue the insert to the wood or do a LED conversion kit. To fix the clear coat I'd use Kruzmans liquid concoction. It works very well.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Doesn't kruzman have a clear repair kit he offers? Basically a needle and a compound you can inject between the remaining clear and the insert?

I checked his site but didn't see any mention of this kit. I have some inserts with white spots due to air below the clearcoat and would love to fix it. Anyone have a link to where to buy the kit?

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

I checked his site but didn't see any mention of this kit. I have some inserts with white spots due to air below the clearcoat and would love to fix it. Anyone have a link to where to buy the kit?

Check the thread he runs on here, he discusses it there. He offers the kit as an installation aid. It can help with damage repair also. Contact him by PM if you want to try it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kruzman-monthly-playfield-thread

6 months later
    #10 5 months ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Just keep it clean and play it. Its not worth the time +effort+ expense until its time to sell and move on. Enjoy your pinball play time.

Some people Enjoy the challenge of the repair. The repair is the Enjoyment..

#11 5 months ago
    Quoted from CLEllison:

Lifted inserts can literally change the way the machine plays even when adding a protector or overlay - that's uber annoying to me. My Funhouse BADLY suffered from it but it was so worn out I replaced the PF. No warranties expressed or implied here but if I were to go back in time, I'd lightly clamp a board down over the raised insert, grabbed my heat gun/hair dryer, gingerly heated the affected insert from the bottom (keeping the heat moving around while someone else applied adjusted the clamps pressure from the topside. Id then super glue the insert to the wood or do a LED conversion kit. To fix the clear coat I'd use Kruzmans liquid concoction. It works very well.

Try playing a fifty year old machine with cupped inserts. Those are WAY more challenging.

#12 5 months ago

What causes this on older playfields. I know wood is susceptible to moving but after so long isn’t that minimized?

#13 5 months ago
    Quoted from mmr61184:

What causes this on older playfields. I know wood is susceptible to moving but after so long isn’t that minimized?

Wood is always expanding and contracting, throughout the seasons. Working the inserts out over years.

2 months later
    #14 3 months ago

SimplePin Sorry to bring up this old thread. Just wondering if you were able to resolve your issue. Most info I find on lifted inserts are for games that don't have a clearcoat on them already. Vids guide says to exacto around the insert and replace with a new one. Am I able to just heat the insert, clamp it down, reglue, and then fix any cosmetic issue by re-clearing after?

Or am I better off getting replacement inserts, cutting out the current ones with an exacto to remove them, cleaning the old glue out, adding the right decals, insert and level them, and then reclear, which I think is how vid explains it in his thread?

thanks for the help, love the dead btw

#15 3 months ago
    Quoted from tylery85:

SimplePin Sorry to bring up this old thread. Just wondering if you were able to resolve your issue. Most info I find on lifted inserts are for games that don't have a clearcoat on them already. Vids guide says to exacto around the insert and replace with a new one. Am I able to just heat the insert, clamp it down, reglue, and then fix any cosmetic issue by re-clearing after?
    Or am I better off getting replacement inserts, cutting out the current ones with an exacto to remove them, cleaning the old glue out, adding the right decals, insert and level them, and then reclear, which I think is how vid explains it in his thread?
    thanks for the help, love the dead btw

I ended up using a heat gun to soften the old "glue" and leveled the inserts. From there I was able to use super glue to secure the lifted flap of clear coat. Sanded everything flat and polished. Vids guide was helpful but it was flynnibus who encouraged me to go for it with the suepr glue, sanding and polishing. I'm still wrapping up this project and I'll post before and after pics shortly. Lots of good info in Vid's guide.

#16 3 months ago
    Quoted from SimplePin:

I ended up using a heat gun to soften the old "glue" and leveled the inserts. From there I was able to use super glue to secure the lifted flap of clear coat. Sanded everything flat and polished. Vids guide was helpful but it was flynnibus who encouraged me to go for it with the suepr glue, sanding and polishing. I'm still wrapping up this project and I'll post before and after pics shortly. Lots of good info in Vid's guide.

Great reply. Just the confidence I needed! I have at least one insert where the clear chipped off entirely, so once I'm done leveling them all and regluing them in, I guess I'm going to learn how to spot clear. Yikes.

This was your funhouse, right?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lifted-inserts-and-cracked-clear-coat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.