• Stranger Things 134 votes
    39%
  • Neither 56 votes
    16%

(343 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Schwifty Things.jpg
futurama-is-better-than-rick-and-forty-bite-my-shiny-metal-ass-1523821519 (resized).jpg
20BAB737-DA54-450E-BA5B-47BEB492124A (resized).png
Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 11.33.52 AM (resized).png
A1F461B9-2114-453F-8F08-D9E11F31A6B1.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 4 years ago

Both great themes, but based on how Stern does things now, I have little faith Stranger Things can be done well. Real assets & real actors doing custom callouts...or bad CG recreations & horrible fake voices? A big part of ST’s appeal is the 80’s nostalgia. The music & brands are part of the show, and pretty unlikely we’ll see those aspects in the pin.

Rick & Morty will be legitimately true to the license, integrated properly. This will be so great to see compared to fakes like Jurassic Park.

Quoted from Zitt:

Except that ST is a Netflix only show... while R&M is a Cable TV show.
Betting R&M has a bigger audience

Most people are watching shows on streaming services. Both shows are huge, but most Rick & Morty viewing is on the Adult Swim app & Hulu.

Quoted from Zitt:

I doubt we'll see a ST pinball machine. (happy to be wrong tho)

It’s literally Stern’s next game, by Brian Eddy.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from freakandgeek:

Most Rick and Morty fans don't look like people that can afford a pinball machine.

That’s an ignorant and baseless claim.

Here’s a fact: MOST PEOPLE can’t afford pinball machines. Period.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Google says stranger things is crushing R&M in viewers 24 million to around 5 million.
And stranger things is supposed to be revealed in a couple weeks by Stern.

Here’s the thing...just the raw numbers of popularity don’t always translate to pinball machine sales. When Gary licensed Wheel of Fortune, it was because it was the most syndicated, most watched show on Earth. CSI & 24 were mega hits. Rolling Stones & Aerosmith are huge in music. AVENGERS lol. None of these hits in their respective media translated to huge pinball sales. Popularity isn’t a guarantee of desire to buy a pinball machine.

For the record I’m talking about home sales. I think both will do equally stellar on location.

#50 4 years ago

I have never watched Rick & Morty, the only people I know that have watched it are my son and maybe a few of his buddies.

Your bubble of experience and those you know isn’t the world. R&M spans all demographics. Spooky will sell out instantly.

#53 4 years ago

Would you care to place a bet over which sells more?

Spooky’s only making 750. So, I’ll bet Stranger Things. Lol.

If Stern was making both? R&M. Pinball buyers love HUMOR. Humor is rare when most licensed games are based on serious/action subject matter or music. R&M is one of the funniest shows on TV, and having it’s main funny voice guy doing custom callouts is going to be amazing.

Again, you total underestimate the show’s popularity with the pinball buying demographic.

#60 4 years ago

The show is great at creating rabid fans...just don't think that demographic spills into those that buy pinballs as well as you do.
How many Family Guys sold? Not many...despite being a good game. Compare the sales there to say Ghostbusters.

Family Guy sold 2500, which was respectable at that point of pinball when games like 24 and CSI were barely cracking 500 units sold. Iron Man only sold about 1000 & was considered a flop before pinball got big.

Look at the R&M thread & the excitement. It’s not 20 year olds yelling “take my money”. I’m 43. I’m buying one. I have tons of 40-something friends who are ultra excited and buying one. Anyway, don’t worry about it. Spooky will sell them all, you won’t have to worry about stocking them.

#62 4 years ago

Again, most HUMANS are not pinball buyers. Pinball stats aren’t relevant to the overall stats of society. There are millennials who are millionaires from being on YouTube & Twitch. Those specific ones will buy a R&M pinball. Pinball “thrives” on an ultra tiny group of buyers. That’s all it needs. More than 750 R&M fans who can afford it exist.

#65 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

And this is why I am in a quandary as I said to myself I would never pre-order anything again and then this happens - custom call outs should be insanely good.

Same. I normally wouldn’t, but this is how much I trust Scott & the team.

#69 4 years ago

Google Trends for past year attached...one is much more popular than the other. Don't confuse number of fans with rabid fans.[quoted image]

Viewers doesn’t always translate into pinball buyers. See my earlier post about Wheel of Fortune & CSI.

Ultra passionate fans = pinball buyers.

#97 4 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

Every other word out of the characters mouth is crude or takes the Lord’s name in vain

Which Lord?

#132 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Futurama would also make an amazing pin and like R&m you'd only have to hire one guy to get half the voices.

Would it feel dated at this point, so far after it’s been cancelled...or do you think its passionate fanbase still exists?

#136 4 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

I voted Rick and Morty.
Admittedly, never even heard of Stranger Things :
Is it bigger than The Walking Dead? or The Sopranos?
Because I never saw either of those...but at least I had heard of them. And they made them into pinball machines that kinda suck, imo.
So, I'm not holding out much breakout pinball hope for a Stern Stranger Things.

Stranger Things is huge...one of Netflix’s biggest shows. It spans demographics. Kids & adults like it. It’s kinda of like a supernatural Goonies - and takes place in the 80s. Adults like the nostalgia & kids these days are really into the pop culture of the 80s.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn Park, MN
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 22.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 300.00
$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
La Porte, IN
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Augustine Beach, FL
$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/license-wars-rick-amp-morty-vs-stranger-things?tu=Rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.