(Topic ID: 351033)

Leg bolt mounting plate replacement on WPC game

By adamtoth

88 days ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    #1 88 days ago

I am doing a cabinet restore on Gilligans Island and wanted to replace the original leg bolt plates with the newer large style. The original corner wood brace is too thick though, so the newer plate flanges don’t sit flush up against the cabinet sides, and would need shims behind them. Has anyone dealt with this before? Picture shows it centered with about 1/4” gap on each side. I suppose I could use stacked washers under the screws to fill the gap, but then I’m not really getting the benefit of the plate rigidity against the sides. I may just need to stick with the originals unless I use shims.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #2 88 days ago

I think I would try and file down the brace so the new plate fits better.

LTG : )

#3 88 days ago
    Quoted from adamtoth:

I am doing a cabinet restore on Gilligans Island and wanted to replace the original leg bolt plates with the newer large style. The original corner wood brace is too thick though, so the newer plate flanges don’t sit flush up against the cabinet sides, and would need shims behind them. Has anyone dealt with this before? Picture shows it centered with about 1/4” gap on each side. I suppose I could use stacked washers under the screws to fill the gap, but then I’m not really getting the benefit of the plate rigidity against the sides. I may just need to stick with the originals unless I use shims.[quoted image]

Looks like you will have to shave down the wood brace in order to fit.

#4 87 days ago

Shaving down the corner brace would work, but likely be a pain given the tight space. And this might look pretty rough.

I'd rip some shims on the table saw or go look for something you can repurpose at home depot t take up the gap.

#5 87 days ago
    Quoted from jgreene:

something you can repurpose at home depot

A paint stirring stick should work.

LTG : )

#6 87 days ago
    Quoted from adamtoth:

I am doing a cabinet restore on Gilligans Island and wanted to replace the original leg bolt plates with the newer large style. The original corner wood brace is too thick though, so the newer plate flanges don’t sit flush up against the cabinet sides, and would need shims behind them. Has anyone dealt with this before? Picture shows it centered with about 1/4” gap on each side. I suppose I could use stacked washers under the screws to fill the gap, but then I’m not really getting the benefit of the plate rigidity against the sides. I may just need to stick with the originals unless I use shims.[quoted image]

Someone posted a bracket that they 3D printed to fill in the gap.

It would only take 10 mins to design and get printing.

On my Doctor Who cabinet, I just ripped out the corner braces and made new ones.

They came off surprisingly easy with a prybar.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/leg-bolt-mounting-plate-replacement-on-wpc-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.