(Topic ID: 70584)

Jurassic Park - Escape - pinball's most misunderstood mode?

By ChadH

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by ChadH
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I've been digging to the Jurassic Park rules for my code update.

One thing I have dug into recently is the "Escape From Isla Nublar" mode.

From what I am reading of the strategy guides, this mode's scoring is completely misunderstood. The way the mode works is very confusing.

Here is how the mode actually works as it stands today in v.5.13:

1) Starts at 21M.
2) Counts down 1M per second.
3) When you hit one of the awards (Heli, Boat, Visitor) it FLASHES the score on the screen. IT DOES NOT ADD THAT SCORE!!! It also adds 10M to the score countdown.
4) When you hit another of the awards, it FLASHES the countdown score on the screen. IT AGAIN DOES NOT ADD THAT SCORE!!! It also adds 10M to the score countdown.
5) When you COMPLETE the mode by hitting the last target, it FLASHES the countdown score on the screen. THIS IS THE >>>ONLY<<< SCORE THAT IS ADDED.
6) If (after you hit a target) more than 10 seconds counts down (bringing you back to the score it flashed on the screen) then the mode abruptly ends and THAT IS THE >>>ONLY<<< SCORE THAT IS ADDED.

So... if I start this mode, and I quickly hit the Dock, it flashes 20M on the screen, then I quickly hit Heli and it flashes 29M on the screen, then I quickly hit Visitor and it flashes 38M on the screen. I am awarded a TOTAL of 38M for this mode.

Another example... if I start this mode, and I hit the Dock with 3M on the countdown, it flashes 3M on the screen, then 9 seconds later I hit Heli at the 4M count down mark and it flashes 4M on the screen, then 9 seconds later I hit Visitor at the 5M count down mark and it flashes 5M on the screen. I am awarded a TOTAL of 5M for this mode.

It does NOT accumulate each one. I think this is where everyone's misunderstanding comes in. I think most people thought that the scores were accumulating and that the max possible was 93M (21M + 31M +41M).

The absolute best you could possibly score in the mode is 21+10+10 = 41M.

I know... confusing, huh?

FYI, check out my code update thread here if you haven't already:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-rules

#2 10 years ago

Did you already have a suggested fix? If so refresh my memory.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Did you already have a suggested fix? If so refresh my memory.

None yet. Still thinking about this one.

#4 10 years ago

I've bounced ideas with Chad back and forth on this one. The problem is, how it is set up it is actually a very fair mode. It's just that I was one of the many people who thought that the mode could be worth about 100M with perfect shots. I've got some thoughts, but nothing that I think is perfect.

#5 10 years ago

That's pretty interesting. I'm sure it could be made much better. You've been doing some great work. I'd love to get a ROM set burnt for this when it is finally complete.

#6 10 years ago

I'll have to review your proposed changes to the other modes. The only thing I'd really feel strongly about is that it remains a countdown / dwindling Jackpot.

#7 10 years ago

Alright, just posting this here so that others can see what some of the other modes are worth...

SPITTER MODE:
Original: 20 seconds to hit Spitter targets. Points are awarded at end of mode.
1 hit = 5M, 2 hit = 20M, 3 hit = 30M
Proposal: 20 seconds to hit Spitter targets. Points are awarded at end of mode.
1 hit = 5M, 2 hit = 15M, 3 hit = 30M

2-BALL RAPTOR:
Original: Raptor pit is worth 7M, 9M, 11M, etc.
Proposal: Raptor pit is worth 9M, 10M, 11M, etc.

MOSQUITO:
Original: 20 seconds, captive ball is worth 5M, 6M, 7M, etc.
Proposal: 20 seconds, captive ball is worth 10M, 11M, 12M, etc.

RAPTOR RAMPAGE:
Original: 20 seconds, Raptor Pit is worth between 5M and 10M.
Proposal: 20 seconds, Raptor Pit is worth between 5M and 10M and award keeps adding to itself when collected. Example, first shot is 6M, player collects 6M. Second shot is 8M, player collects 8M plus 6M. Third shot is 5M, player collects 5M + 8M + 6M.

STAMPEDE:
Original: Always first mode. 20 seconds. Starts at 5M, all switches add 300K, 310K, 320K, etc to reward.
Proposal: Random mode. 20 seconds. Reward at 5M, all switches add 400K, 420K, 440K, etc to reward.

BONE BUSTING:
Original: 25 seconds, hit ramp 3 times to collect 20M.
Proposal: 25 seconds, hit ramp 3 times to collect 30M.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I've bounced ideas with Chad back and forth on this one. The problem is, how it is set up it is actually a very fair mode. It's just that I was one of the many people who thought that the mode could be worth about 100M with perfect shots. I've got some thoughts, but nothing that I think is perfect.

Yes. As it stands, scoring of the mode is fair... if you are very good and immediately make all three shots and then you'll score in the 30-40M range.

I don't like how the average player who will probably hit only one or two targets (and not right away) will end this mode with probably 10M. Trying to find the balance here. I also really don't like how it is technically possible to make all three shots in the allotted time and walk away with only like 3M to 5M total.

Finally, I would like this mode to be a little more clear or self explanatory... I don't like how it is flashing the score when the player makes a shot but the player is not really scoring that amount. Lastly, I don't like how it abruptly ends if you don't make the 2nd or 3rd shot. At the very least, I'd like it to flash the actual score the player was awarded in that moment.

#9 10 years ago

I think it might just need to be something like 1st shot ($5 million), 2nd shot ($5 million), and 3rd shot (countdown score). That way if you're good you'll start out and hit the first shot with 18 seconds on the counter. That scores $5 million plus increases the counter to 23 seconds. You loop the combo and hit the next shot right away at 22 seconds, earning another $5 million and increasing the counter to 27 seconds. You then obviously have to settle the ball back down to hit the final shot and do at 23 seconds earning $23 million. A total of $33 million for the mode. The theoretical maximum score remains the same at $41 million. I think that's slightly under valued given the difficulty, compared to Bone Busting, but still worth shooting for.

#10 10 years ago

Actually, the shot sequence is easier than that. A good sequence is...

Kickout to Boat Dock, Boat Dock to around the T-Rex via upper flipper, to pops via upper flipper. Hit one pop, you hit the third shot.

I actually really like the idea that lpeters82 has, how about shot 1 - 5 mil, shot 2 - 5 mil (both add nothing to count down timer), count down timer starts at 31mil and counts down to zero. It could show the 5 Million graphic on the screen when those shots were made, and the last shot would flash the final score that you also get on the screen.

Sensible, leaves the max score at 41 mil, and gives you a decent amount of time to make the mode work.

#11 10 years ago

Actually, I was suggesting that the first two shots add 5 seconds to the timer, that way the initial mode time is still only 21 seconds. Not really a big deal assuming you make the first two shots, but if you don't hit any shots in the first 21 seconds you would be put out of your misery in less time.

PS: I'll have to work on the upper flipper to the pops. Coming off the loop that would be a really tough shot for me.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Actually, I was suggesting that the first two shots add 5 seconds to the timer, that way the initial mode time is still only 21 seconds. Not really a big deal assuming you make the first two shots, but if you don't hit any shots in the first 21 seconds you would be put out of your misery in less time.
PS: I'll have to work on the upper flipper to the pops. Coming off the loop that would be a really tough shot for me.

I'm liking this idea. I'll see what I can do.

#13 10 years ago

OK, after much thought and many ideas... I ended up keeping the mode scoring just like it is but having the display more clearly show what is (and is not) going on.

ORIGINAL:
1) Starts at 21M.
3) When you hit one of the awards (Heli, Boat, Visitor) it FLASHES the score on the screen. IT DOES NOT ADD THAT SCORE!!! It also adds 10M to the score countdown and plays the "Escape" voice call and dinosaur roar.
4) When you hit another of the awards, it FLASHES the countdown score on the screen. IT AGAIN DOES NOT ADD THAT SCORE!!! It also adds 10M to the score countdown and plays the "Escape" voice call and dinosaur roar.
5) When you COMPLETE the mode by hitting the last target, it FLASHES the countdown score on the screen. THIS IS THE >>>ONLY<<< SCORE THAT IS ADDED.
6) If (after you hit only one or two targets) more than 10 seconds counts down (bringing you back to the score it flashed on the screen) then the mode abruptly ends, nothing is shown on the display, and THAT IS THE >>>ONLY<<< SCORE THAT IS ADDED.

PROPOSAL:
1) Starts at 21M.
3) When you hit one of the awards (Heli, Boat, Visitor) it adds 10M to the score countdown and plays the "Escape" voice call and dinosaur roar.
4) When you hit another of the awards, it adds 10M to the score countdown and plays the "Escape" voice call and dinosaur roar.
6) If (after you hit only one or two targets) more than 10 seconds counts down then the mode ends, it FLASHES the score that you achieved on the screen and THAT IS THE >>>ONLY<<< SCORE THAT IS ADDED.

As you can see above, the mode will no longer flash the score when you make the first or second shot. It was very confusing that it would flash the score and the player was lead to believe that the score being flashed was also being added to the overall score. This is not true. So, as a result, now when you make the first or second shot, it will not flash the score but it will increase the countdown timer by 10M and play the "Escape" voice call and dino roar sound effect to indicate that you made a shot.

The other big problem with the mode was if you only made one or two shots and did not make the last shot within 10 seconds then the mode would just end. Nothing on the display. No indication of what was achieved. This left the player confused. As you can see above, I have it set so now when the mode ends, it will display the dinosaur chasing car animation and flash the score achieved.

Bottom line, this mode will now only flash the scores achieved and will always flash the scores achieved. This should help the player better understand what is happening.

The reason why I didn't go with the other scoring ideas is because once you actually find out how this mode works, you realize that it is a pretty fair mode and not over powered. The modification I have made is in the spirit of the original rules and only helps clarify what is happening.

I am going to also add this information to my JP Rules update thread.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Sabattus, ME
$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

4,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-escape-pinballs-most-misunderstood-mode-scoring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.