JM hand issue

By balboarules

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Ok, so I just got a JM, and I am working on the issues...

I found the hand switch was not working, so I took the hand off, and found the switch was not even connected.. the wires were just sitting there.. so I reconnected them, put it in switch test mode, and the switch is working..

Now the problem, when the ball gets shot up to the hand, the game resets and drops the ball.. every single time.. No idea where to start on this one..

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Steve

#2 9 years ago

Try testing and look into the magnet assembly in the hand. and run a test on it.

#3 9 years ago

What exactly am I testing? It runs a self test, sometimes it passes and some times it fails..

Loud as hell, I am familiar with what to do about the noise, but no idea about the game rebooting when the ball is in the hand.. In switch test, now the switch does register. I think it might be some kind of switch stuck in hand error, I was getting that before I adjusted it.

#4 9 years ago

just in case, may want to check to the coin door is closed/hold in the door switch buttons in, while doing a glove test,

If the game is resetting could be other issues,

#5 9 years ago

Ok, game was resetting due to too much voltage drain on the outlet.. I guess once the magnet was activated it pulled too much voltage for the wall.. I have it on a voltage regulator, and saw a drop.. switched the regulator to another plug, now problem is gone... but man this glove is moving so sloppy, and makes a ton of noise.. I know the x and y nut thing, but I am thinking this needs a total rebuild and lobe as well..

#6 9 years ago

head off to the JM members thread, tons of info on the glove rebuild etc

#7 9 years ago

Already had them in my favorites.. I was prepared for this, should I have to do it again... and I do..

Thanks!

Steve

#8 9 years ago

There is a Service Bulletin about the power supply for the hand magnet. I had the fuse problem and I did the modification, since then I've never replaced the fuse
It may solve your power drain problem as well.

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/3683/Williams_1995_Johnny_Mnemonic_Service_Bulletin_87.pdf

#9 9 years ago

You will need to get new x and y nuts AND you'll want to get new grease and open the gear boxes, regrease them. That made my hand super quiet

#10 9 years ago

I have re-greased the gear box, the x and y nuts seem perfect... just shopping the game now since so much was open with the back of the game removed.

I am going to check out that service bulletin.

Thanks guys!

Steve

#11 9 years ago

Rename this thread JM Hand-Job !!!

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from balboarules:

I have re-greased the gear box, the x and y nuts seem perfect... just shopping the game now since so much was open with the back of the game removed.
I am going to check out that service bulletin.
Thanks guys!
Steve

Is the hand quiet now when moving?

Onto the magnet issue! keep us updated

#13 9 years ago

Yeah the hand is weird. My stopped working once but some wires just came loose. Fixed that and it was all good.

also my hand will work 100% no problem but it won't pass the test... I'll have to hold the coin door switch and see if it passes.

It is such a great game

Edit: I held the coin door switch and it passed the test YAY

#14 9 years ago

I purchased new X & Y nuts for mine, but have held off installing until I knew what type of grease I should be using for this - anyone have good luck with a certain brand that they'd recommend?

#15 9 years ago

this web grease is what was recommended in the JM thread...I put it in mine and it seemed to work no issue.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CJVFBG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

#16 9 years ago

Oh, I do not know how the hand is working yet... going to shop out the game while this and the 9 ball target area are off.. Might dive into it tonight, but not sure.. but will let you know how it is working when it is done.

Steve

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.50
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

Boards
Slap Save Creations

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 22.50
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jm-hand-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.