(Topic ID: 98578)

Is this oscilloscope good enough to repair WPC era machines?

By rygar

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by thedefog
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Preview.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

I have got a free NIB LG os 5020g oscilloscope from retired pinball operator. Is it adequate for fixing WPC, WPC-S and WPC-95 electronics?
    More specs:
    http://www.jameco.com/1/1/24636-os-5020g-20mhz-2-channel-analog-oscilloscope-built-function-generator.html

Thank you for your answers.

#2 9 years ago

I would say: Yes. I believe the CPUs are only running at 4MHz so the 20 should be more than enough.

#3 9 years ago

Thank you for your quick answer.

#4 9 years ago

If you want something a little less expensive and easier to use, there are other options like the Velleman hand-held scopes. Yes, they only have 1 probe on them, but I've used mine extensively on board repairs, and they do store memory so you can compare waveforms.

ebay.com link: Velleman HPS 50 Handheld Personal 40Mhz Oscilloscope

That one is only at $50 + shipping right now. Will probably sell around $100 I'm sure.

#5 9 years ago

These look tempting, but I'm not sure about quality and would be skeptical based on that price: ebay.com link: ARM Pro Pocket Sized DSO203 Nano 4CH Mini V2 Quad Handheld Digital Oscilloscope

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

These look tempting, but I'm not sure about quality and would be skeptical based on that price: ebay.com link » Arm Pro Pocket Sized Dso203 Nano 4ch Mini V2 Quad Handheld Digital Oscilloscope

Your skepticism is warranted.

#t=21

Crappy resolution, no input protection, not very useful.

But to OP, agree, your free scope is fine.

viperrwk

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from viperrwk:

Your skepticism is warranted.
    » YouTube video
    Crappy resolution, no input protection, not very useful.
    But to OP, agree, your free scope is fine.
    viperrwk

Yeah, I wish someone would just give me a free scope. The Velleman isn't bad at all though, just tough to view the screen because the refresh is slow. I never got lucky with eBay with older analog ones.

#8 9 years ago

to be fair... I'm a 20 year embedded sw engineer who is around Oscopes every day. I've never needed one on a pin in 10 years.

Everything can be done with a general purpose multimeter

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from castlesteve:

How do you troubleshoot a data or address line problem or a sound or video problem with a multimeter?

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from terryb:

How do you troubleshoot a data or address line problem or a sound or video problem with a multimeter?

I'd like to know this too. I'm considering buying a scope, but will save my money if I don't need one.

#11 9 years ago

I break out my fluke scope meter on troublesome CPU boards, but for most problems a logic probe and DMM is all I use.

#12 9 years ago

The only time I crack the oscilloscope out is for early ss issues. I can't say I've ever needed it for any WPC issue.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

These look tempting, but I'm not sure about quality and would be skeptical based on that price: ebay.com link » Arm Pro Pocket Sized Dso203 Nano 4ch Mini V2 Quad Handheld Digital Oscilloscope

I actually use a DSO203 Nano as my "mobile scope". It's not a bad little device, but it's far from perfect.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from yfz450:

I break out my fluke scope meter on troublesome CPU boards, but for most problems a logic probe and DMM is all I use.

I have a logic probe and a DMM and I'm trying to learn how to use them to diagnose a sound problem I'm having on a Data East sound board. Can you explain to me the steps you take to use these tools to find the problem you're after? I understand that ICs have inputs and outputs and I use their data sheets to determine those, but I feel like I'm missing something.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from GoodToBeDad:

I have a logic probe and a DMM and I'm trying to learn how to use them to diagnose a sound problem I'm having on a Data East sound board. Can you explain to me the steps you take to use these tools to find the problem you're after? I understand that ICs have inputs and outputs and I use their data sheets to determine those, but I feel like I'm missing something.

Here is a very good (pinball related) site of how to use a logic probe (read all 4 pages):

http://www.techdose.com/electronics/Using-a-Logic-Probe/395/page1.html

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I actually use a DSO203 Nano as my "mobile scope". It's not a bad little device, but it's far from perfect.

+1 me too.

I have an old Tektronix 785 on a roll around cart for my workroom, but use the Nano in the gameroom for quick checks/pictures.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from german-pinball:

Here is a very good (pinball related) site of how to use a logic probe (read all 4 pages):

http://www.techdose.com/electronics/Using-a-Logic-Probe/395/page1.html

Thanks. That did fill in a few gaps for me.

#18 9 years ago

I use a Wittig Oszifox scope on board repair work, but it's something I break out very rarely. Usually, a logic probe and a DMM is all you need.

Considering the price (free), give it a try, and if you find it doesn't do what you need, then perhaps it's time for another - but I doubt you'll use it much!

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

I use a Wittig Oszifox ...

YES, what a great tool, I have it too ... I first saw it on former pinrepair site ... unfortunately the company Wittig went bankrupt a few years ago ...

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from castlesteve:

to be fair... I'm a 20 year embedded sw engineer who is around Oscopes every day. I've never needed one on a pin in 10 years.

I agree. I rarely use my scope. Get a good DMM and a logic probe.

#21 9 years ago

You don't need a scope for everyday repairs, but sometimes it is a giant time saver.

Especially when tracking down hum in soundboards.

#22 9 years ago

I apparantly need a lesson in analogue signals with the scope. WHat the heck does the hum look like. Analouge sound stuff is the hardest for me to repair.

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

I apparantly need a lesson in analogue signals with the scope. WHat the heck does the hum look like. Analouge sound stuff is the hardest for me to repair.

Uh oh, time for Vid to write another guide!

#24 9 years ago

I'm an EE... so would like to be a Scope elitist. However, for personal electronics; I tend to buy cheaper items. I can't afford 18k for a Tek scope at home.

I use a Temna 2channel portable scope (20mhz) for debug in the machine ... usually when debugging my own circuits vs originals. On my bench; I have a Rigol 2channel 100MHz I think.

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Here is a good guide:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Oscilloscope-How-To/?lang=de

And here you can learn a lot too:

http://www.doctronics.co.uk/scope.htm

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Quoted from radium:

Uh oh, time for Vid to write another guide!

I'm already working on it.

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I'm already working on it.

Looking forward to reading it.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

I use a Wittig Oszifox scope on board repair work, but it's something I break out very rarely. Usually, a logic probe and a DMM is all you need.

That might explain why it was still NIB when I got it (op which gave it to me had a route of 100+ machines).

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You don't need a scope for everyday repairs, but sometimes it is a giant time saver.
    Especially when tracking down hum in soundboards.

Agreed. Use my scope to track down troublesome game resets. Noisy dc voltage lines do to bad filter caps.

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from yfz450:

Agreed. Use my scope to track down troublesome game resets. Noisy dc voltage lines do to bad filter caps.

Would it help to solve the issue with CFTBL coils overheating (details in this post: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cftbl-flipper-coils-overheating). it is still present at the moment.

#31 9 years ago

Reading over that thread. A lot of great advice, by a lot of good people in there. Sounds like you tried everything I could think of. I would of thought it would be the fliptronics board, but you said you swapped it.

#32 9 years ago

Yes, I have swapped all the boards except for a DMD controller board.

#33 9 years ago

Some pins read high and low on my logic probe. However, I don't see that represented on any of the truth tables I've looked at. Those are only either high or low. How do I use the truth table if my input or output is both high and low?

#34 9 years ago

The truth table is for a slice in time. So the truth table for an inverter tells you that when the input is high the output will be low and when the input is low the output will be high. As you are seeing though many circuits are pulsed, so when the input pulses high, the output pulses low and when the input pulses low, the output pulses high.

Depending on the circuit, and the logic probe, the reading should show up as low--pulsing high or high-pulsing low. With the opposite reading on the output of the inverter. Of course this doesn't apply on circuits where the low and high pulses have the same duration.

1 week later
    #35 9 years ago

I can't imagine troubleshooting xtal, reset generator signals, data address lines, IRQ, & VMA using just a multimeter and logic probe.

Preview.jpgPreview.jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-oscilloscope-good-enough-to-repair-wpc-era-machines and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.