(Topic ID: 334467)

Is the act of tipping currently out of control?

By gandamack

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,188 posts
  • 217 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 25 days ago by Mr_Tantrum
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    R (20).gif
    FB_IMG_1688598293445 (resized).jpg
    20240408_204007 (resized).jpg
    20240408_203958 (resized).jpg
    20240408_202750 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1712596541857 (resized).jpg
    just-the-tip.gif
    giphy (15).gif
    tired-af-insomnia.gif
    83038015-13252729-Customers_from_around_the_world_have_shared_absurd_service_charg-a-40_1711727286016~2.jpg
    ball washer with tip jar (resized).png
    proxy-image (6).gif
    thumbnail_image0 (resized).png
    IMG_4323 (resized).jpeg
    20240309_194843 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Emkay79.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#109 1 year ago

The way things are going I'm half tempted to get a speeding ticket just to see if there's a gratuity line on it above the signature line.

5 months later
    #701 7 months ago
    Quoted from benheck:

I ordered a large Dominos + brownies and it was $39 with tip!!!!!! Even cheap food is expensive now.

I picked up three large subs for my crew on the way to work last Friday. $49 with tax and tip.

1 month later
    #841 5 months ago

First time I've run into one of these in a hotel room...thought of this thread.

C7F69D30-F8F4-4AB7-ADA4-7922A25660D8IMG_7511 (resized).jpegC7F69D30-F8F4-4AB7-ADA4-7922A25660D8IMG_7511 (resized).jpeg

1 month later
    #900 4 months ago

I'm currently on a business trip. We were too tired to do the whole dinner thing so my coworker and I ordered some take out from a decent restaurant. Mandatory 20% tip automatically added on all takeout orders.

I always tip for this type of takeout order. I understand someone has to take the time to put it all together, bag it up, ring it up, etc. But I think a mandatory 20% for takeout is a bit much.

#909 4 months ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

Wow, on takeout orders? May I ask what city this is in?

Vail, CO. Also ran into it in other CO mountain towns, but it was 10% or less there.

1 month later
    #975 3 months ago

Here’s a new one: a mandatory 3% “Kitchen and Brewer Appreciation Charge”. Points for creativity I guess.

IMG_9319 (resized).jpegIMG_9319 (resized).jpeg
    #977 3 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Cool...but i would have tipped you more than 70 cents; but not now.

This is the bill they bring you before they take your card and hand you the tablet to tip the server. Of course the pre-selected percentages start at 20%.

1 month later
    #1058 60 days ago

Here's another new one I encountered the other day...an "Admin Fee". No idea what it was; not enough to be worth arguing over. The tip screen was next, of course. Food sucked anyway; won't be going back.

thumbnail_IMG_9576 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_9576 (resized).jpg
    #1067 60 days ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

What the high prices will do, ultimately, is make people stop eating out and make their own lunch sandwiches at home for $2 like we all used to. Or get some supermarket salads for $6.
    Personally, we stopped eating out regularly years ago (and rarely have any fast food, it’s always crap) … we now only go to top of the line places every 2-3 months where the meal is a real occasion.
    Luckily I’m blessed with a wife who is a great cook - so there's no need to pay money to go to regular places when we have much better meals at home.
    I’m heading to Texas on Saturday - haven’t been to the states since Jan 2020. Looks like the food prices have doubled since I was last there. At 60c exchange rate, that’s gonna hurt! I see a lot of supermarket salads in the next 4 weeks. Ha!
    rd

I agree with everything you (and others above) have said. Unfortunately, I travel for a living, and bringing five days' worth of food with me just isn't practical. So I'm a captive audience when it comes to eating out in that situation. My wife and I haven't eaten out in 4+ years. I've upped my cooking game during that time, so my food is usually better, cheaper, and there aren't any hidden fees!

#1070 60 days ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Hopefully you're expensed for meals.

I have the choice of actual expenses or per diem. Usually the per diem wins, aside from extremely expensive places or very short trips. In the case above, I was buying lunch for myself, a coworker, and a friend, so that one was on me.

#1103 55 days ago
    Quoted from DanMarino:

What is SFO Employee Benefits doing on your check? That’s a 5% added tax. You should be able to select -5% as an option.

According to my coworker who took an Uber ride yesterday, there is now a "NY Employee Benefit" percentage charged on Uber rides that involve that state. I didn't ask for the details.

Quoted from gandamack:

Asked to have it removed and they did. (Thanks to a previous post about this new thing California restaurants are trying to do to customers).

This isn't new. I remember paying this while there on business at my previous job, pre-covid. I believe the restaurant called it a "California Cost of Doing Business" fee.

#1117 53 days ago

Got me again! Place I've never been to before. 5% "kitchen appreciation". I also like how the "suggested tip" *starts* at 20%. Won't be going back--food was good, service was not. There were other issues too.

thumbnail_image0 (resized).pngthumbnail_image0 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Emkay79.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-the-act-of-tipping-currently-out-of-control?tu=Emkay79 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.