(Topic ID: 334467)

Is the act of tipping currently out of control?

By gandamack

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,188 posts
  • 217 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by Mr_Tantrum
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    R (20).gif
    FB_IMG_1688598293445 (resized).jpg
    20240408_204007 (resized).jpg
    20240408_203958 (resized).jpg
    20240408_202750 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1712596541857 (resized).jpg
    just-the-tip.gif
    giphy (15).gif
    tired-af-insomnia.gif
    83038015-13252729-Customers_from_around_the_world_have_shared_absurd_service_charg-a-40_1711727286016~2.jpg
    ball washer with tip jar (resized).png
    proxy-image (6).gif
    thumbnail_image0 (resized).png
    IMG_4323 (resized).jpeg
    20240309_194843 (resized).jpg
    There are 1,188 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 24.
    #101 1 year ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

14 bucks is a decent starting wage? Would you work at Five Guys for 29K a year before taxes?

Right these are starter jobs not careers I knew this you knew this When did this shit change?

#102 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Lol oh sorry, Taco Bell isn't good enough for you! Hey if I have cash me I'll happily put $1 into the pizza place tip jar. Having a tip line though on a carry out receipt though? Some people will see that as being forced to tip.

Centerflank is also right. That is garbage. Now I'm conflicted.

#103 1 year ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Centerflank is also right. That is garbage. Now I'm conflicted.

High quality meals are great but I can always appreciate some good garbage fast food at the same time lol. Don't we all get a desire to get a Crave Case of 30 White Castles every once and a while and then see how many we can eat before we realize "Wow, this was a terrible idea"?

#104 1 year ago

Taco Bell is garbage

#105 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Taco Bell is garbage

dont_you_say_that_billy_madison.gifdont_you_say_that_billy_madison.gif

#106 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

High quality meals are great but I can always appreciate some good garbage fast food at the same time lol. Don't we all get a desire to get a Crave Case of 30 White Castles every once and a while and then see how many we can eat before we realize "Wow, this was a terrible idea"?

Your poor toilet. You might blast off to the moon with that many white castles.

#107 1 year ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Just curious if you are a bar? If so, how well are you paying your employees?

I thought the name Jackbar would be a dead giveaway, but I've learned never to assume.

Anyway, yes, we're a bar. And I suppose how well I pay my employees is subjective, so you'd have to ask them. But our average employee stays with us for 5+ years, if that means anything. That said, they work mostly for tips, so the better question is... how well does the average patron tip? The objective answer seems to be "better than some in this thread".

#108 1 year ago

I just saw a sign saying cash tips appreciated.

That means just scamming the federal taxes. I already pay soooo much taxes I’d appreciate if some others would chip in a little.

#109 1 year ago

The way things are going I'm half tempted to get a speeding ticket just to see if there's a gratuity line on it above the signature line.

#110 1 year ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Nonsense. I've left 50% tips or more for great service. Places try to guilt you into tipping now when they do not provide a service that demands a tip.
    Worlds are colliding! Me and panzer have some common ground.

Tightwad!

#111 1 year ago

Anyone talking shit about Taco Bell can fuck a goat.

#112 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Lol oh sorry, Taco Bell isn't good enough for you! Hey if I have cash me I'll happily put $1 into tip jar at my favorite local pizza place. Having a tip line though on a carry out receipt? Some people will see that as being forced to tip.

It’s true I’m high end food only, deal with it

#113 1 year ago
    Quoted from rai:

I just saw a sign saying cash tips appreciated.
    That means just scamming the federal taxes. I already pay soooo much taxes I’d appreciate if some others would chip in a little.

You really needed to see that sign to come to the conclusion that people prefer to not pay taxes?

#114 1 year ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

Anyone talking shit about Taco Bell can fuck a goat.

Well that’s what the Tbell uses for meat so now it’s getting really awkward

#115 1 year ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Mars Cheese Castle?

#116 1 year ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Is your avatar a photo of you eating a high-end donut?

#117 1 year ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Well that’s what the Tbell uses for meat so now it’s getting really awkward

At least it's not pink slime. It was the only thing that couldve destroyed the greatest fast food franchise in history.

#118 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Mars Cheese Castle?

I’ve never stopped there, ever lol

Quoted from wolverinetuner:

Is your avatar a photo of you eating a high-end donut?

Krispy Kreme!

#119 1 year ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

I’ve never stopped there, ever lol

Krispy Kreme!

They make a mean grilled cheese

#120 1 year ago
    Quoted from rai:

... I already pay soooo much taxes I’d appreciate if some others would chip in a little.

That sucks, I have like one of the lowest tax rates in the world

#121 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Try eating 30 WC's in 30 minutes with one SMALL drink... thats how I joined a fraternity back in the day in 1981... you were allowed to order them however you wanted, but you had to eat them one at a time. So you got half with cheese and half without, that way the cheese greased the first 15 down the gullet, but by burger 16 the cheese has solidified, so you got 16 through 30 with pickle only, that way the pickle juice helped move those last 15 sliders down the hatch... and no puking for 30 minutes afterwards either... and the Olympic White Castle box stacking that occured afterwards was epic...

#122 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

if you pay by credit card there will be a tip line. What should you do?

Never leave that line blank. Leave a tip, or write "Zero" or "nothing".

An unscrupulous worker might fill in a tip for you. Worse if it's a bar, you'll never getting it back, they'll assume you were drunk.

LTG : )

#123 1 year ago

Our local subways have signs up " hiring $12-14 an hour + tips". I've never tipped at subway, didn't even know it was a thing, I rarely go there and if I do I just use the app and pick up. I tipped the guys that seal coated my driveway last year, they still did a shit job.
    Tip your tournament directors.. tip your favorite location operators., Our local pinabll group spent $150 on gift cards for our favorite tournament director / operator this year for Christmas.

#124 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mitoska:

tip your favorite location operators

I like this one.

#125 1 year ago

I always tip and a lot of times more than I should, but what annoys me is when I am asked to tip before the service has occurred. Like ordering dinner tonight, the place asked for a tip before I even showed up to pick up the food. How do I know how much to tip at that point? And if I put zero and then tip when I pick up I always fear them being grumpy toward my food. That is my true dilemma.

#126 1 year ago

Does anyone tip a funeral director?

#127 1 year ago
    Quoted from pincoin:

i always give the funeral director a tip... I tell them, don't put 'em in sideways.

#128 1 year ago

One of the tasks we had for Public Works was burials in the City cemetery.
    When lowering the coffin, someone always had to chime in with: "Last guys to let you down!"

#129 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

The real problem is that all the mid-level manufacturing jobs (that you could get without a college degree) no longer exist.

This is a catch-22 for many companies. At my company we believe mid-level MFG jobs are shrinking (in many ways they are), but I've also witnessed a shortage in supply for hires in the openings we have. I've been at 2 companies who pride themselves on USA MFG, and it's pulling teeth to get someone new into the shop.

The common thought is there's no new talent... but perhaps there's no talent because kids think it's a dying career. Meanwhile we keep having retirement party after retirement party, with few candidates to refill those spots. I mean it's great job security for those who have been here for 20 years, but there's going to be a breaking point. CNC MFG has obviously helped a good amount, but there still needs to be CNC operators, CNC programmers, and still a good amount of lathe/mill machinists for items that either are too large for our CNC's, or aren't worth writing programs and setup time for a custom 1-off item.

It's a real pain point for many companies and we need a focus on some jobs that may be shrinking, but will never die.

#130 1 year ago

Just saw this a bit ago...interesting I guess?

Screenshot_20230403_201453_Reddit (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230403_201453_Reddit (resized).jpg
    #131 1 year ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

[quoted image]

So Tipping is Racist?

#132 1 year ago

When you get a pin delivered how much do you guys tip the driver? I usually give him a $20 for him to wheel it into my garage. If it's 2 guys I do $15 each.

#133 1 year ago

The few times we got Hooters or Wing House takeaway the online app only allows you to choose your tip percentage, "NO tip" wasn't an option. That's prior to you getting your food and they always "F" up the order. So in theory you're rewarding them for not paying attention and slacking off on the job.

#134 1 year ago
    Quoted from dsmoke1986:

So Tipping is Racist?

Ha ha, isn't everything these days.

#135 1 year ago
    Quoted from pincoin:

My answer is yes, as well as the hearse driver and burial crew. It was 95 in the shade on a Saturday morning. They were very appreciative.

#136 1 year ago
    Quoted from solid_snake:

When you get a pin delivered how much do you guys tip the driver? I usually give him a $20 for him to wheel it into my garage. If it's 2 guys I do $15 each.

I received a heavy pallet of plastic material via Pitt Ohio last week...I usually pick it up at the distributor but this time it had to be drop shipped. The driver missed me the first time, came back later, broke down the skid and we humped it to my shop about 50' away. I tried to give him a $20 and he refused it. He said they make very good money and thats why they are the best in the biz in this area...great, friendly service! So I hope they bring me my Foo pin soon.

#137 1 year ago
    Quoted from solid_snake:

When I pick up a pin at the freight carrier I always give the forklift guy $20. They always help me load, haul off the pallet, remember me and treat me good.

Disclaimer : I prefer picking them up. When they deliver I have to be around from very early morning hours long before I open. And they don't always send a huge truck with a lift gate.

#138 1 year ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

[quoted image]

Molly needs to lay off the moon dust.

#139 1 year ago
    mg556 (resized).pngmg556 (resized).png
    #140 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Many young people got lazy during Covid and do not want to work. Ive heard this from dozens of small businesses.

Ehhhh I have met Lazy SoBs in all age brackets. Met “disabled” elder statesmen who are fine working on a home project, hobby, but can barely walk or function when the Social or VA comes around. Met middle aged computer button pushers who feel because they have a degree and worked in their field x years, actual work is beneath them. Also met “young people” who are holding down multiple shat, low pay, no paid vacation/healthcare/nothing shat jobs, that also go to school full time.
    Those employers whining about “young people” probably haven’t adjusted their salary and total compensation to the current hot low unemployment job market. Cannot blame enhanced unemployment benefits anymore, that was ended a while ago. People didn’t want to work like a dog for minimum wage, risk catching covid and not even having paid sick leave if they caught covid. Adjust their pay commensurate to the market, and be surprised how fast those young people will work for them. Called basic Capitalism, supply and demand. Just my thoughts on this comment.

#141 1 year ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

My answer is yes, as well as the hearse driver and burial crew. It was 95 in the shade on a Saturday morning. They were very appreciative.

Huh. We never got tipped for a burial.
    Although the system was set up so that we were not at the graveside at the same time as the family.
    We were always out of sight.

#142 1 year ago

Tipping has gotten out of hand. You are goaded into tipping before you receive what you paid for. Tip usually based on quality of service. Employers are making customers subsidize wages. Maybe pay better. I worked in food service and understand some jobs should tip. I will tip on carry out. I will tip a dollar for a coffee or a draft at a bar. I will also complain if paid and tipped and for shat service or not what I paid for. Just a thought. Problem is over reliance. on the tipped credit by employers. Not a bad thing to pay workers a little better.

#143 1 year ago
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #144 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I used to bring them to fun nights at the VFW, until master Clay banned them. FYI, the number for this old guy is five. Four is good, the 5th one causes issues. Forty years ago, the number was eight. All of this is sans alcohol.

#145 1 year ago
    Quoted from Emkay79:

The way things are going I'm half tempted to get a speeding ticket just to see if there's a gratuity line on it above the signature line.

Always expected in the City of Chicago.

#146 1 year ago

I even tipped Doug after playing Subhumans just now
    IMG_4565 (resized).jpegIMG_4565 (resized).jpeg

#147 1 year ago

Since someone asked what this topic has to do with pinball, here you go:

In an AMAZING coincidence, Jersey Jack himself penned a column aboot tipping in the current edition of the Amusement and Music Operator's industry trade journal, RePlay Magazine.

Enjoy!

20230403_163242 (resized).jpg20230403_163242 (resized).jpg
    #148 1 year ago

I was a bartender at a high end wedding venue owned by a member of the Wegman’s family. I’d always leave a tip cup out until the inevitable request to “put it away” by the bride or groom’s family because “we already prepaid hundreds of dollars in mandatory gratuity with our bill, and don’t want our guests to feel like they need to pay”.

Funny thing was, I never saw a cent of those gratuity payments and was making just over minimum wage. I quit after a summer.

Fast forward 5+ years and I got a letter in the mail asking me to join a class action lawsuit against the owner. Apparently this multimillionaire scumbag had been keeping all the gratuity for years. There were longtime employees who got 5 figure payouts for lost gratuity from that lawsuit.

#149 1 year ago

Thank you for posting the article. However, I do question the part where he talks about tipping before a service is performed. In his example, he was talking about parking in a large garage. Isn't tipping before the service is performed called something else.... starts with a b and ends with a y?

Quoted from MrBally:

Since someone asked what this topic has to do with pinball, here you go:
    In an AMAZING coincidence, Jersey Jack himself penned a column aboot tipping in the current edition of the Amusement and Music Operator's industry trade journal, RePlay Magazine.
    Enjoy!

#150 1 year ago

Ordered Subs on the app tonight for pickup and was prompted with adding the tip, wtf not this time "Samich artist"!!!

There are 1,188 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-the-act-of-tipping-currently-out-of-control/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.