• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

267900-i.jpg
Lemonade.jpeg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 9 years ago

Lane extenders are more like LAME extenders. Am I right?!?!!!

Nah but for real they totally suck. Learn how to play pinball better.

Or just sell it to me for $1000.

#17 9 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

Lame extenders - not necessary.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Pay utterly no attention to the curmugeons trying to tell you and your family how to enjoy your game.

False!

Pay MORE attention as the curmugeons (sic) are always right.

I'd also suggest you turn off the Buy-In - they are an obnoxious distraction in home use and they should always be turned off.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I have read many times SR wished he did make it like this, as such, it's hardly cheating, and would be an update the designer would have implemented.

Steve's said a lot of stuff. He's said T3 sucked "because arnold was too old" (as if that has anything to do with the quality of the game). He's said Rollergames is the worst game he ever designed. I think both of those games are a ton of fun (especially Rollergames). Steve isn't the pope of pinball - he's entitled to his opinion just like anyone else but what his opinions aren't to be taken as gospel. His approval of lame extenders doesn't mean people who want to keep that game interesting - and improve as players - should install them.

That game is fantastic just the way it is. I put up massive scores on STTNG all the time on location, because I'm a good player and I've learned how to deal with it. I've played the game with lame extenders and I don't think it's more fun - it takes a lot away from the game when the ball keeps plopping harmlessly into the inlanes because the game has been altered. I had a friend in high school who had a High Speed...one day I came over to his place and found they'd stuck a rubber band over the right outlane. I didn't like that either.

So to sum up - lame extenders aren't cool. MAJOR not cool!

#32 9 years ago

So everybody who likes Rollergames - or prefers it to other Steve Ritchie games - is wrong because Steve said in the past that it was his worst game?

I'm not sure what you know, but the definition of "opinion" isn't one of them.

#35 9 years ago

I'm still waiting for someone to print Steve's comments where he orders all STTNG owners to install lame extenders.

I keep hearing about this, but I've never seen it. Can someone point it out to me?

#37 9 years ago

Hollywood Heat was never cool. Mullets were REALLY never cool. Except for when Steve had one.

Rollergames was always cool, and just gets cooler with every single year.

Someone back me up on this. Steve...you around? Forget about the Star Trek code update, this is more important.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

Please update after installation. I'd like to hear your feedback. Even though I don't think I want them ,I am somewhat interested because when my non pinball friends come over my sttng is by far the least played, and I think it's because of Data's shit talkin and ball drainin. It's so bad after the last party, I considered selling my sttng and getting something different.. Which kills me because I think it's the best game I got!

They are reversible, so you can put 'em on when your lame friends come over.

But there's another thing...not EVERY game needs to be accepted by guests, wives, kids.

It's my favorite game. If my friends come over and would rather play my other 10 games because they suck at pinball, what do I care? No skin off my nose. They can go play Waterworld.

I seriously can't imagine basing a pinball collection on what other people think of the games. That's a rant for another day...

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Yep, in the menu.

Actually he's talking about the path of the kickback - not the use of the kickback itself.

Likely, dude needs to adjust the metal rail/guide to the left of the left inlane. I'd guess you can loosen a screw and shift that one way or another, and he can adjust the path of a kicked back ball so it is more pleasing.

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

are you !?
(friendly said of course)

Friendly answer:

Not sure...ask the guys at Jackbar NYC (22 billion on un-lame extended STTNG, and 67 million on Rollergames). Or gaze in wonder upon the NYC Pinball League Spring 2014 Division A trophy, proudly displayed at Pioneers bar on 29th st (along with GC scores reading LEV on all four machines).

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

IFPA ranking > where are you ?

Look me up! Somewhere way way way down low. Ive only done a few of those events.

The point is, even a lowly amateur like myself can enjoy STTNG without lame extenders.

I think. Is that the point? Are we trying to prove I'm an awesome player, or I suck?

Anyway, back the subject at hand-

Lame extenders are not good. STTNG is. I'm not sure what being a noob or being an experienced player has to do with anything - none of the games I played when I was starting out were bastardized to remove the challenge. If they were, it's possible I'd never have gotten in to pinball.

#60 9 years ago

I'm a big fish in a big pond - there are lots of great players in NYC. But hanging with those at the top of the IFPA rankings is completely next-level. I'm happy covering Big Apple turf for now.

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

Pretty much exactly my story. Problem is that once the draining is not the No1 issue you notice how easy every single shot on the game is with only the Delta ramp being any challenge at all.
It's great fun with the long outlanes, kept me interested in the game, but it comes to a point where it is no problem at all any more to reach final frontier in EVERY SINGLE GAME! The only challenge left at all is reaching Warp 9.9.
Wanted to remove them again these days but my girlfriend insists i leave them installed. She loves the game, but only with the longer lanes - without them she will lose interest soon due to all the insta-drains. Decisions, decisions....

This tragic tale reminds us all of the dangers of lame extenders - bastardizing a fine, challenging machine, and leading to confusion - and yes - chaos! An identity crisis that ends in doubt and misconceptions.

I urge prospective lame-extender installers to take heed - don't make the same mistake someonelse did! Don't introduce this evil into your home - for once it has planted its talons into your STTNG, it may never release them.

#71 9 years ago

You can rollyeye all you want. But consider this!

First they rollyeye'd my pleas to not molest your outlanes.
And pinsiders did nothing.

Then, they rollyeye'd three ball settings, and put ém on 5.
And still pinsiders did nothing.

And then they rollyeye'd when I said you shouldn't set your ballsave on 20 seconds.
And still...noone fought for those calling for justice.

Let me ask you pinside - when they decide pinball is simply too difficult, and decide to smite it from the Earth, who will fight for us? When the eyes of our community sit idly by rolling, will we even be able to see it coming?

Yes, brothers and sisters. I ask you to contemplate that.

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Lame extender = refake for the new generation
If lame extenders are to be considered making the game easier, then so should the laser pointers that people like to add in..

I recently purchased an STTNG with the laser sights - they were already there when I got the game.

I consider them a spectacular novelty. They don't help me at all. The light isn't always visible, and kind of bounces around, and I have not been able to translate their presence into hitting those shots more consistently at all. I've gone back to my previous method, which was watching the turrets themselves, and not the projected light.

My "guests" seem to love them, so I don't have any plans on removing them. But as far as making the cannon shots easier, I don't see it at all.

1 week later
#85 9 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

Got the extenders. they work a little. Overall lot of disappointment in this house. kids don't dig it, had some friends play it no one is really digging it. You CANNOT miss any shots or the ball is gone. Your shooting has to be absolutely perfect.
Do they test these games out in designing? How do some themes play so well and some so awful?

How can some people play pinball so well, while others are so awful?

All the STTNGs I play seemed to have been tested pretty well. Maybe the one in your house just wasn't tested properly.

267900-i.jpg267900-i.jpg

#88 9 years ago

STTNG destroys families and psyches.

There's an entire wing at Bellvue dedicated to STTNG victims.

#91 9 years ago
Quoted from zsciaeount:

The extended outlane guides were actually endorsed by Steve Ritchie. Stated it was closer to what he had in mind. Still a drainy bitch with them on, but what a great game when you get on a roll!

Ok...I gotta ask...

Can someone point me to a quote where steve actually said this?

I've heard it a million times but never seen it for myself.

Maybe Steve will chime in.

1 month later
#100 9 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

Just played this for the first time in quite awhile. Still a complete dud. How is this game ranked so high?? I was gonna shop it out LED it put some mods on it bleh... makes a good table. I have two super Star Trek fans that came over to play it. they both thought even Twister was a much better pin. TNG is pretty but plays awful.

Stop badmouthing STTNG and stop with the threats.

"I'm gonna put extended outlanes on this thing SO HELP ME!"

"I was gonna mod it...but NOW I'm thinking twice!!!!"

Do you think constantly threatening your STTNG will make it easier, or make you play better? Ain't gonna happen. STTNG cowers before no one!

it's rated high because it's an awesome game for skilled players. You and your friends obviously aren't skilled players. You should sell this game to someone who will appreciate it and fill your place up with Sega games. South Park might be more your speed.

#104 9 years ago

What's more obnoxious than a guy who created a thread to whine about a game that nobody is forcing him to own, and then stops in once every few weeks to whine about it some more and insult everyone who likes it?

What's the point? It's approaching "This food is terrible...and such small portions!" territory.

For the love of god sell it already. There are plenty of people who will take that "dud" off your hands.

#110 9 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

Hard is an understatement. When you shoot the ball and it goes atraight down the right drain 3 times in a row theres not much satisfaction. I have the left drain on easy so the kicker is always on. its amazing. Kicks out, hits the ramp, goes right back down the left drain. it did this 5 times in a row once. I have this machine setup between Dredd and Demolition Man. No comparison.
I actually talked this game up to my friends. Being average pin players and after about 5 games in 5 minutes its amazing how people lose interest. Im really at a loss. I really wanted to like this machine.

Did you try to adjust the kickback lane like I suggested? There's obviously something wrong with the alignment. About 5 minutes and a screwdriver would probably fix this issue.

#115 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

I might be crazy, but I tend to think STTNG is easier at a steeper pitch, because it keeps the ball going up and down instead of side to side towards those outlanes.

This is true for most games.

People are inclined to think steeper games are more difficult, because it can increase the need for reaction time. But the fact is it's much easier to trap the ball on a game that is steep, and it also reduces that side to side drift that can send the ball into the outlanes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 64.99
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (OBO)
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 15.00
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
7,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-sttng-a-drain-lane-monster?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.