Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 320 posts
  • 123 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is stern evil???”

• Yea, that wasnt cool guys. 76 votes
      40%
    • Nope, stern can do no wrong. 30 votes
      16%
    • Hear no evil, see no evil. Its pinball baby! 83 votes
      44%

(189 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dynasty01 (resized).jpg
    B8A7EE09-972F-4730-BD61-470C8B58C530 (resized).jpeg
    2fg8b9 (resized).jpg
    51P+5zOWVgL (resized).jpg
    who_designed-tech_support_3_laughing_man (resized).jpg
    bobcat-goldthwait-one-crazy-summ1 (resized).jpg
    mash_alda_hed (resized).jpg
    Nuclear-Devil-Horns (resized).jpg
    nomoremrniceguy.jpg
    A3C780BC-DB3F-4431-93CF-8974F9D2FFB2 (resized).jpeg
    D8C726EF-0869-4A69-9E03-785AE65DEE32 (resized).jpeg
    Hear-No-Evil-See-No-Evil-Speak-No-Evil (resized).png
    addtext_com_MTA1NzUyNzI2OA.jpg
    BC18DCC0-B9CE-49C2-BA7B-55849B19A63B (resized).jpeg
    ci-captain-morgan-original-spiced-rum-d263a0fe5dd6c1b2 (resized).jpeg
    F0044868-A042-4295-8577-3253522B8FB7 (resized).png
    There are 320 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
    #301 5 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Deadpool is DOA.

Seriously? Seems to be generating nothing but positive hype here on Pinside. I'd bet it will sell well.

#302 5 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Spooky is going to be ok, I've been soaking up ACNC and wow, what a nice job they did. Deadpool is DOA.

kinda silly to say that. regardless which game ends up being better, deadpool even as a flop is bound to sell more than ACNC based on the sheer numbers Stern sells versus Spooky. A lot of people dont think ghostbusters is a good game but its undoubtedly sold more units than every spooky game combined.

#303 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm willing to concede Stern is indeed evil.
    But I think it's more like a JR Ewing evil... Does that make the other companies Cliff Barnes? Sad sacks who always lose and never blame themselves for their failings?

you could have justifiably chosen blake carrington,
    as stern continues to build a ...

dynasty01 (resized).jpgdynasty01 (resized).jpg
    #304 5 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Spooky is going to be ok, I've been soaking up ACNC and wow, what a nice job they did. Deadpool is DOA

ACNC will sell every unit Spooky produces. It will be a hit.

Deadpool is going to sell a minimum of 2,000 units in 2018 alone. It will be a hit.

Neither ACNC or Deadpool are going to take many sells away from the other - just my personal opinion.

#305 5 years ago

Here's my take... Either Stern holds onto the license and lets it expire (wasting money), or they do something with the license but it's not implemented well (or as well as charlie would do).. Once they're done making that title, the license becomes available again. Stern made a pirates pinball, so did JJP (and made it better). There's nothing saying Spooky can't just wait it out and still make one.

Jody has shown his true colors, as he always does. Ask just about any pinball collector in chicago that regularly goes to Stern pinball events (release parties, expo, etc.). I bet every single one of them has at least one negative story about Jody being an ass. It's a small niche hobby, and he's burning bridges.

#306 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Of the titles they've sniped only Munsters has become real.

You never presented that time machine on your youtube show!

#307 5 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Here's my take... Either Stern holds onto the license and lets it expire (wasting money), or they do something with the license but it's not implemented well (or as well as charlie would do).. Once they're done making that title, the license becomes available again.

Totally agree on this and in the meantime there are plenty of awesome themes Spooky can use.

3 years later
    #308 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Buy both, see Firestone Financial for all of your equipment financing needs.

Firestone Financial just announced today that they are no longer lending to the Amusement entertainment industry....

#309 1 year ago

This thread has aged pretty well.

Imagine a world where Godzilla “owners” are dumping their pre-order spots at a $1500 loss.

#310 1 year ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Here's my take... Either Stern holds onto the license and lets it expire (wasting money), or they do something with the license but it's not implemented well (or as well as charlie would do).. Once they're done making that title, the license becomes available again. Stern made a pirates pinball, so did JJP (and made it better). There's nothing saying Spooky can't just wait it out and still make one.
    Jody has shown his true colors, as he always does. Ask just about any pinball collector in chicago that regularly goes to Stern pinball events (release parties, expo, etc.). I bet every single one of them has at least one negative story about Jody being an ass. It's a small niche hobby, and he's burning bridges.

Wow this aged like milk.

#311 1 year ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

Wow this aged like milk.

As many gems in this thread as the infamous “a Dark Night for Stern” opus.

Say, did Spooky ever manage to get over having their trailblazing idea for releasing a pinball sound track cruelly stolen and improved?

Did Gary Stern ever develop a heart?

Is Deadpool still “DOA?”

Did stern continue to “sit” on the license just to screw spooky, and never produce a Godzilla pinball machine?

#312 1 year ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Pretty sure pinball would have been just fine without stern. I think pinball stayed alive despite stern and i dispise how they run their business on the backs of the hard working poor. Go read some of the old eddit threads from previous stern employees if you want a eal look athow dark it ison the inside.

LMAO

God I miss this man’s posts

#313 1 year ago

No this thread is a perfect example of why it’s ridiculous to even post this kind of thing. The original post was some similar variation of “Business S should stop acting like a business by being nice and generous with all their competitors and by building their model around what a bunch of amateur MBA/Marketing/C level strategy wannabes on Pinside say.”

Stern figured out how to keep and grow their company after all the rest of the industry folded. They did it using a lower cost model geared towards moving units - despite the fact Pinside whined about lower BOM - with zero concept of how difficult it is in what was a low demand dying industry to secure necessary capital and material cashflow needed for higher BOM. They leaned on well know licensing to help secure some of the initial capital for each title and to help drive that cheaper product out the door - despite the fact that Pinside whined about wanting original themes. Stern slowly increased the visible and playfield level BOM in line with the business financial position - despite Pinside whining about the things that were kept lower cost like service pegs instead of rails.

Eventually the pinball market started to grow and other competitors entered the marketplace. Stern stuck with their repeatable and profitable DMD design in the face of improving technology from competitors - despite Pinside whining they were cheap and refusing to innovate.

Stern moved to the Pro/Premium/LE model to make sure they could maintain an affordable product for new customers and operators while still being able to offer everything (and a higher BOM) the collector market wanted - despite Pinside whining that all machines should have the same parts and features. Stern went with the pre order LE first model to help generate a huge amount of capital early in the sales cycle for each machine, despite Pinside whining about why Premiums come so late. Stern upgraded their technology and became the preferred licensing partner for anyone who wants their license on the maximum number of pins - despite Pinside whining about the licenses they chose and that they weren’t using the LCD Screen effectively.

And then the combination of slowly increased demand, combined with the huge growth of barcades (many of which were stocked and built using those “inferior” Pro models) allowed Stern to find themselves in a small but booming pinball market that is great for them and also for all of us people who love pinball. Oh, and they paid for the Godzilla license that some Pinsiders whined they should have left for a competitor because they are small (such a ridiculous statement) and they turned that Godzilla license into what is currently regarded by the most number of pinball fans in history as the best pinball machine ever made.

I think it’s time everyone realizes that no only is Stern not going to do what you think they are supposed to but they shouldn’t either. They have grown into a successful company that sells out all the inventory they can possibly manufacture. If they had listened to Pinside they would have failed by now.

It’s quite amazing how so many people can’t see that and instead are so blinded by their own little emotional ideas.

#314 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

LMAO
    God I miss this man’s posts

That makes one of us.

#315 1 year ago
    Quoted from sawyerfamilyaz:

I think it’s time everyone realizes that no only is Stern not going to do what you think they are supposed to but they shouldn’t either. They have grown into a successful company that sells out all the inventory they can possibly manufacture. If they had listened to Pinside they would have failed by now.
    It’s quite amazing how so many people can’t see that and instead are so blinded by their own little emotional ideas.

No doubt Stern shouldn't blindly listen to Pinside, however most successful businesses try and listen to their loyal customers (and Stern has made changes over recent years that I'm certain were helped by Pinside chatter).

One of the biggest/smartest decisions Stern made is hiring new design talent. Without Keith Elwins contributions, Stern wouldn't be in the same place!

#316 1 year ago

Wow there was a lot of bad takes in this thread! Good thing that'll never happen again! Right?

#317 1 year ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

Great post! From my perspective, this ^^^ is what effects me the most as a customer. Fortunately, Pat & Chas in Stern support are responsive/supportive. Without them at the helm of support, I'd be much more cautious about buying new games. Stern's games just aren't as reliable as the use to be (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kiss-lights-out-updating-node-board#post-4510198).
    snaroff

I only made 1 post 3 years ago and what I feared did pan out. With Pat & Chas gone and Stern's decision to force us to go through distributors for support/parts, support has suffered. When I hear about Rush boards frying and people having to wait weeks/months, it's a bummer. Sure, I guess part of the problem may be COVID hangover, but it still sucks that you can't get Stern support to deal with us on warranty issues directly. Fortunately, my games have been on good behavior lately

#318 1 year ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

I only made 1 post 3 years ago and what I feared did pan out. With Pat & Chas gone and Stern's decision to force us to go through distributors for support/parts, support has suffered. When I hear about Rush boards frying and people having to wait weeks/months, it's a bummer. Sure, I guess part of the problem may be COVID hangover, but it still sucks that you can't get Stern support to deal with us on warranty issues directly. Fortunately, my games have been on good behavior lately

100% agree. Those of us who buy games secondhand (uh, every single one of us) are almost totally shut out unless you already have a good relationship with a distro. I’ve got a board on my EHOH which has an LED out; and that game I actually did buy from a distro. No luck in 3 years getting it replaced.

#319 1 year ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

No doubt Stern shouldn't blindly listen to Pinside, however most successful businesses try and listen to their loyal customers (and Stern has made changes over recent years that I'm certain were helped by Pinside chatter).
    One of the biggest/smartest decisions Stern made is hiring new design talent. Without Keith Elwins contributions, Stern wouldn't be in the same place!

To me, Elwin has proven that the other long term designers have just been phoning in designs with safe "looks kind of like this title" layouts for at least a decade. All the while, they could have been really been creatively looking at new layouts. Godzilla has especially shown me that if a designer really looks at flow takes time to be really creative (and this must take time), amazing things can happen in pinball. But this is another subject for another thread lol.

#320 1 year ago
    Quoted from Cobray:

To me, Elwin has proven that the other long term designers have just been phoning in designs with safe "looks kind of like this title" layouts for at least a decade. All the while, they could have been really been creatively looking at new layouts....

I really wonder aboot that, but it's a great point.
    We always heard aboot how Gary needs 3 standard pops etc but this all could have changed due to sales? I sort of see Elwin's designs getting more far out as they go along and maybe he's just given more freedom becasue he's the best in the game?
    Probably a bit of multiple things.

There are 320 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-stern-evil/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.