Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Leeb18509
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20210515_210656260.MP (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210515_200518052.MP (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).JPG
    DSC01145 (resized).JPG
    PXL_20210514_012829492.MP (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210514_012856826.MP (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

Hi,

I am trying to install a colorDMD to LOTR and not sure where plug in the power. The instructions say to plug the ColorDMD power cable into the into the auxiliary 5v/12v power source connector. I can't seem to locate this. There doesn't appear to be any three prong outlets I could plug this into.

Any idea on what to do or where I should be looking?

Thanks!

PXL_20210514_012829492.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20210514_012829492.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20210514_012856826.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20210514_012856826.MP (resized).jpg
    #2 2 years ago

I think you may have purchased the wrong installation kit, that cable is for a SAM/SPIKE machine.

https://www.colordmd.com/installation/Assembly%20for%20Instructions%20Stern%20WS%20CHROMA%20eDP%20Rev1.PDF

EDIT...I'll have to look at mine, but mine is wired very different from most.

#3 2 years ago

Whitestar is the same. Follow those red & black wires going down in the corner by the filter box. Isn't that the connector? Looks like it may have accidentally got caught under the box cover, might have to unscrew the cover to get it out.

#4 2 years ago

Yeah, there should be a cable there; could be in the bottom of the cabinet.

DSC01145 (resized).JPGDSC01145 (resized).JPG
    #5 2 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Looks like it may have accidentally got caught under the box cover.

good eye!

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Looks like it may have accidentally got caught under the box cover, might have to unscrew the cover to get it out.

Do you mean here? I will check it out tonight when I get home.

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG
    #7 2 years ago

Thanks HighVoltage. That was it.

#8 2 years ago

So when I unscrewed the lid and took out the aux power connector I noticed the cables were pinched but did not look frayed or cut. However, when I plugged in the ColorDMD and powered on the game, the F23 (5V DC Logic) fuse on the power driver board blew out.

Could the cables being pinched have caused the fuse to blow?

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from zephee:

So when I unscrewed the lid and took out the aux power connector I noticed the cables were pinched but did not look frayed or cut. However, when I plugged in the ColorDMD and powered on the game, the F23 (5V DC Logic) fuse on the power driver board blew out.
    Could the cables being pinched have caused the fuse to blow?

Maybe, how bad were they pinched?

#10 2 years ago
    PXL_20210515_200518052.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20210515_200518052.MP (resized).jpg
    #11 2 years ago
    Quoted from zephee:

[quoted image]

Ouch, you could try testing continuity, otherwise maybe just cut and splice to be safe but those look very deep

#12 2 years ago

Since there isn't any exposed copper that can short out to anything, and it didn't blow a fuse when it is pinched to begin with, time to look elsewhere. Please post a picture of the power connections you made at the DMD controller board.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Since there isn't any exposed copper that can short out to anything, and it didn't blow a fuse when it is pinched to begin with, time to look elsewhere. Please post a picture of the power connections you made at the DMD controller board.

I thought that, but if now the cable is pulling power, and most of the wires are frayed/cut, could it blow a fuse?

Even if that pinch isn’t the cause, I would test continuity on that plug/wires to verify

#14 2 years ago

To me, it sounds like power is plugged in wrong somewhere. Hopefully, the wires are not swapped between 5v and 12v in the end of the pinched pigtail in the cabinet.

The pin 3 power connector at the DMD controller is not impossible to swap around and plug in wrong.

#15 2 years ago

Maybe I had plugged in something incorrectly but I swapped in a new fuse and it works!!

Thanks for the help all.

PXL_20210515_210656260.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20210515_210656260.MP (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/installing-colordmd-to-lotr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.