• Latest reply 9 months ago by oldbaby
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 11.11.41 AM (resized).png
#1 9 months ago

I hadn't seen any discussion about this, but I received this blurb in my distributor's email about Venom this morning.

"Through Insider Connected, players will be able to save their game progress through connectivity persistence, allowing anyone to become a (anti)hero as you advance through the game to reach the final wizard mode at the end, no matter how many tries it might take."

It looks like Stern is bringing save games to Venom, letting you continue where you left off in subsequent games.

I think this is really interesting, and should make the wizard modes of games with this feature much more accessible, but if you achieve the wizard mode in 1 game, you'll still have a way higher score to brag about. What does everyone think, how does this change the "magic" around wizard modes, if at all?

Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 11.11.41 AM (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-07-18 at 11.11.41 AM (resized).png

#2 9 months ago

Would it then be called a "final persistence mode"?

#3 9 months ago
Quoted from Ignem:

I think this is really interesting....What does everyone think, how does this change the "magic" around wizard modes, if at all?

For sure weakens wizard mode but they're already allowing some modes to be played outside of gameplay so I guess it's the evolution. (I've never used the LITZ cheat and never done it on GZ either)

What I'm really interested in is how much it works against longevity. We've all heard W/B stopped game continues because people would move on from a machine. We also read on pinside a strange amount of posts saying people are "done" with a machine once they "beat" it; so let's see how it goes.
Longevity is sort of a strange subject anyway as people are selling games they buy right away pretty frequently.

#4 9 months ago

I really like the idea, even with longevity in mind. I have two young kids at home, and the possibility of reaching a wizard mode is so remote for them. Being able to stack a few games together would give them a shorter term goal to work toward, with a fun payoff at the end. Some wizard modes are pretty challenging on their own, with a good amount of depth that would still leave room for improvement even within that mode. Plus, you'd also still have the goal of reaching the wizard mode in less games, which would result in a higher score.

My kids (and probably me too) would be even more engaged with the machine if we could unlock some of that content a little more often and experience it together, rather than me getting there late at night when they're in bed or the one game taking so long that they get bored and leave. I'd love to see it come to other "deep code" games too, Batman 66 comes to mind, however unlikely.

#5 9 months ago

Them you're a good candidate. Some kids I knowm beat videa games in 1 night and never care aboot them again; should be enlightening.

Def has some "participation trophy " aspects though. Of course home play you could just take the glass of anyway.

#6 9 months ago

It keeps track of your time, so the goal is to get to the wizard mode as quickly as possible across multiple tries. To me, it's a very intriguing and good-sounding idea.

It's no secret that the point of the challenge mode is that they don't have to worry about spending too much development time on a mode only a small percentage will get to play. This innovation accomplishes something similar.

Speedrun:
"From your very first plunge, it starts counting up in thousands of a second and it keeps counting up until you beat Knull. If you’re logged in, it counts up across games. Eventually, when you do beat Knull because you’ve leveled up and it’s gotten easier for you, you’re now at level 30, level 40, level 50, you can beat Knull and then it will tell you how long it took you to beat Knull. Then that’s your speed run time. Then you can try and beat that. You can try and beat your speed run that you did before once again."

I can imagine this adding replay value and entertainment. It seems like a worthy idea to experiment with, at least.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 19.99
Playfield - Other
FlipMods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Incline Village, NV
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 24.95
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Muskegon, MI
$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
FlipMods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gibsonia, PA
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/insider-connected-connectivity-persistence and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.