Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Frax
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

september 2014 AZ ranking-541.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

Can somebody explain to me how this might happen? Before the most recent event posting, I had 1.49 points through 4 events. I know, I know. Working on it. Now, they just posted the 5th event and my total is 1.39. Yesterday the April event was valued at ~6.6 points, but today it is 5.28. Previous events were ~6.3, but are now also lower. How do previous events have their weighting adjusted after already being posted for quite some time?

http://www.ifpapinball.com/view_tournament.php?t=1332&e=1&d=2014-05-21#results

#2 9 years ago

There is a total point allotment for a monthly event for the entire year. When that number is reached...usually around the halfway point of the year, monthly events start eating away at all the previous months points for the year in order to award points for the rest of the year's monthly tournaments. Losing points happens all the time here. Closer to the end of the year, I have to win the monthly tournament I host or I go backwards no matter what. I am literally better off not hosting events than I am hosting them from an WPPR point standpoint. At the beginning of the year, winning a monthly here is worth about 7 points, by the end of the year, it's worth just over 2. So keep in mind, it's not a one time thing, your points are going to continue to go down for this tournament for the rest of the year.

#3 9 years ago

I believe they get adjusted for strength of field. From what I've seen they enter it in first...then get back around a little later with adjusteing the strength factor. Lot of events going on, takes a little time to make all the calculations.

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

There is a total point allotment for a monthly event for the entire year. When that number is reached...usually around the halfway point of the year, monthly events start eating away at all the previous months points for the year in order to award points for the rest of the year's monthly tournaments. Losing points happens all the time here. Closer to the end of the year, I have to win the monthly tournament I host or I go backwards no matter what. I am literally better off not hosting events than I am hosting them from an WPPR point standpoint. At the beginning of the year, winning a monthly here is worth about 7 points, by the end of the year, it's worth just over 2. So keep in mind, it's not a one time thing, your points are going to continue to go down for this tournament for the rest of the year.

Ahhhh, that makes a ton of sense. If you don't mind, can you point me to the area where it talks about that on the site? I will try to find it otherwise, but if you know offhand, that would be appreciated.

Quoted from TheLaw:

I believe they get adjusted for strength of field. From what I've seen they enter it in first...then get back around a little later with adjusteing the strength factor. Lot of events going on, takes a little time to make all the calculations.

See, the location is less than a year old, and this is only the 6th monthly tourney they have done. Because of that, none of the players were ranked/rated before. We get a few players from Phoenix every month, and they tend to do well. I was thinking that was helping raise the overall event value a few tenths every time. Not sure where I was expecting it to peak, but in the 7's is where it was trending. Now that I know that the event has a max annual value, that changes the way I look at it, but certainly clears things up for me.

#5 9 years ago

Nevermind, I found the section that it talks about the max annual point limit on monthly events.

#6 9 years ago

Starting this year we actually adjusted the monthlies to be divided by 12 full stop, so you'll actually see this adjusted once I correct the mistake. You will then see your points slowly grow throughout the rest of the year with no further adjustment.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Starting this year we actually adjusted the monthlies to be divided by 12 full stop, so you'll actually see this adjusted once I correct the mistake. You will then see your points slowly grow throughout the rest of the year with no further adjustment.

Nice. That's a welcome change.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Good show, thanks. I was happy when I saw my latest event added today, but then bummed when I saw my total points were lower than before the addition. Dividing them from the get go so things are added up as you go is a much more appealing way to present things IMO.

4 months later
    #9 9 years ago

Something looks odd, as if it happened again. We had a monthly that was put in and some of the numbers don't match up correctly. I just happened to take a screen shot yesterday before the results were posted because I wanted to see where a few players would go.

Giving a few examples, with this being where the results from this past event are: http://www.ifpapinball.com/view_tournament.php?t=1332&d=2014-10-15#results

Matt, previously at #11 with, got 2.09 for the win. He was at 17.68+2.09, should be 19.77. His current total is 18.58.

Paul, #21, got .55 points. He had 7.23 and now has 7.28, which is only .05 points

I'm in 38th right now. I had 1.65 and got .28 points, which would put me at 1.93. I am currently showing 1.87 points.

Just wondering if I'm missing something. Thanks.

Having image upload issues ATM. will try to correct ASAP.

#10 9 years ago

Not sure how it relates to your problem, but there is definitely something wrong with the WPPR values on the site right now. I just contacted Josh about it and he confirmed the issue and said they're working to sort it out.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from sleethering:

Not sure how it relates to your problem, but there is definitely something wrong with the WPPR values on the site right now. I just contacted Josh about it and he confirmed the issue and said they're working to sort it out.

It's probably the same exact thing. Thanks for the heads up.

september 2014 AZ ranking-541.jpgseptember 2014 AZ ranking-541.jpg

EDIT: Hey, look at that. One attachement went through. Hamstrung with which browser (and version) I have at work, but at least that shows last month's stuff. The site shows this month anyway.

#12 9 years ago

RANKINGS UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're aware (and by we I mean Brian) is aware of the problems. We will hopefully have everything straightened out and back to normal soon.

#13 9 years ago

I figured it had something to do with the tweaking for next year. Thanks for the update and for being quick to work on it.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

It's probably the same exact thing. Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: Hey, look at that. One attachement went through. Hamstrung with which browser (and version) I have at work, but at least that shows last month's stuff. The site shows this month anyway.

september 2014 AZ ranking-541.jp... 88 KB

Awesome screen shot. Hope to maintain that #1 to the end of the year!!

#15 9 years ago

Jeebus christ. Good illustration point of disparity between states lol... case in point, you have to have a 47 currently just to get your foot in the door in Texas top 16...and I'm sure that's going to go up 20-40 points by the end of the year. 49.45 was the entry floor for us last year. 17.37 for AZ last year!

How the hell did Mark Pearson have 168 points in 12 events and the bottom qualifier for top 16 has 17.37 points?! That's insane! Our top guy has 224 for this year, but let's be honest here, I'm not even sure Jon is human anymore. I think he's turned into a cyborg or something. Colin (our number 2) has 60 more points than I do with the same number of events, so......yeah..... /faceplant for me.

#16 9 years ago

Only 2 large cities in Arizona, so much fewer events. Also the only things posted yet are 3 tournaments and the Tucson D&D monthlies.

Yet to post are 2 leagues, (1 for Phoenix and 1 for Tucson) and at least 3 other tournaments.

At 30+ points per event or league there's another 150+ points yet to go onto the board for Arizona.

Can't wait until next year when things get balanced and the monthly tournaments are worth just as much or more than some of these individual events. There was one remote event last year with only 11 players worth 27 points to the winner while, Zapcon, the biggest event in AZ with 50 players including a top 12 player in the world was worth 31 points, and the monthly with 30 players in it is worth only 2 points.

#17 9 years ago

I can all but promise that 17 points won't get you in this year. Between Project Pinball, the POP event this last weekend, and a potential Flippin' With the Greats event, there will be more total events this year. Also, TPL is new this year, as are the D&D monthly events. Pinball has exploded in AZ, and it is awesome.

Kris, you and Mark are going to be really close by the end of the year. Should be very fun to watch.

I'm really looking forward to seeing APPL post their final results on NOV 8. Tucson league finishes DEC 6 and there might be some real urgency to be that the "Last Chance" event if that happens like list year.

APPL top 5 might be decided already looking at the spreads, but 7-14 might have some big moves happening. I don't think anyone will move out of that range, but that whole range is in play.

TPL is really tight right now and will likely have some awesome drama for the last 2 events. Pretty much 1-7 is in play for anyone in that range. Anyone lower than that can make it up, but has to be lights out in the last two events. Again, loving how this is shaping up.

When the results for the POP event this last weekend get posted, I might actually be proud of my in state rank.

1 month later
    #18 9 years ago

My prediction was correct, and my guess of 25 points needed to get into state wasn't that far off either. 16th finishes with 27.69. There is one 1.07 point event left and Robert might take that as well, but no matter what, the orders are set.

I went from the mid-40's to low 20's in the last few months, so pretty happy with that. Could have been better, but in my first year in competetive pinball (and being able to go somewhere to play more than a single machine) I'll take it.

The only thing that could have happened to make things interesting, and almost did, would be for Bob and Jim to have finished 8 and 9 so the 2 CA guys had to play each other in state. That is assuming they both come.

#19 9 years ago

Some interesting comparisons on how many points generated by the top 16 players in each state....just a small cross section...

CA - 3486.61
    TX - 2489.94
    WA - 2421.33
    IL - 1910.77
    AZ - 982.10

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Some interesting comparisons on how many points generated by the top 16 players in each state....just a small cross section...
    CA - 3486.61
    TX - 2489.94
    WA - 2421.33
    IL - 1910.77
    AZ - 982.10

Is this the top 16 SCS qualifiers, or top 16 qualifiers who are registered/live in the state?

(Either way: Do Vermont! Do Vermont!)

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

Is this the top 16 SCS qualifiers, or top 16 qualifiers who are registered/live in the state?
    (Either way: Do Vermont! Do Vermont!)

Just took the top 16 listed. Was more interested in the total output of points that were available than how much in-state players specifically generated.. and man...VT....ya'll gotta get some more action up there.. 8.38 points to get in? That's not even a side tournament win.

CA - 3486.61
    TX - 2489.94
    WA - 2421.33
    WI- 1278
    IL - 1910.77
    AZ - 982.10
    VT - 304.6

#22 9 years ago

WI- 1278

45points to make 16th, currently

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Just took the top 16 listed. Was more interested in the total output of points that were available than how much in-state players specifically generated.. and man...VT....ya'll gotta get some more action up there.. 8.38 points to get in? That's not even a side tournament win.
    CA - 3486.61
    TX - 2489.94
    WA - 2421.33
    IL - 1910.77
    AZ - 982.10
    VT - 304.6

VT is just getting up and running with a competitive scene. I ran 3 tournaments this year, plus a New England Pinball league location. I'm planning to run more in 2015, but I'd love it if more tournaments could pop up in other places in the state. I also don't mind if things build slowly, and long as they're building.

Because the NEPL works such that its points count toward every state that has an NEPL location, a large chunk of the qualifiers here did not play in an event that actually took place here. I'm guessing we'll have to go pretty far down the list to fill our bracket for February.

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

Because the NEPL works such that its points count toward every state that has an NEPL location, a large chunk of the qualifiers here did not play in an event that actually took place here.

Wow, that's an interesting situation, but if it gets more people playing...okay.

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Wow, that's an interesting situation, but if it gets more people playing...okay.

Yup. Might be preferable to seeing the VT list only have 40 people on it, and a whole lot of very small numbers.

The only moderately sketchy part about it was that all NEPL seasons this year counted toward the VT standings, even though VT only joined during the last season. So that's at least part of why a lot of less serious (i.e., league only) VT people got knocked down by otherwise equivalent non-VT NEPL people.

I can understand the extra burden on Josh/IFPA wouldn't be worth actually splitting it up so only the last season would count for VT. Easy to say, I guess, as someone who wasn't bumped down.

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

VT is just getting up and running with a competitive scene. I ran 3 tournaments this year, plus a New England Pinball league location. I'm planning to run more in 2015, but I'd love it if more tournaments could pop up in other places in the state. I also don't mind if things build slowly, and long as they're building.
    Because the NEPL works such that its points count toward every state that has an NEPL location, a large chunk of the qualifiers here did not play in an event that actually took place here. I'm guessing we'll have to go pretty far down the list to fill our bracket for February.

AZ id certainly in growth mode right now as well. Phoenix has had a league (but lacked a good location that was not a home enviroment) for quite a few years, so they have a very healthy player base. There are some really good players up there to boot. Tucson got a great location late 2013, so the player base has been building quite well. Looking at the results from the monthlies, it's easy to see that skill levels are increasing quite a bit as well.

We (Tucson area) now have a league as well which translates into more time playing. Never a bad thing.

The changes to the way event point values are calculated will mean that next year will be another benchmark year. 2014 and 2015 will be apples to helicopters as far as numbers go, but 2015 to 2016 comparisons will be helicopters to helicopters.

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

Looking at the results from the monthlies, it's easy to see that skill levels are increasing quite a bit as well.

Can you elaborate on this part? I can't see how you can determine skill levels by looking at the results, unless you're seeing local players overtaking non-locals.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

WI- 1278
    45points to make 16th, currently

Weird, MI is at ~1400 total, but 35 pts gets you in top 16 and more like 20 for who will actually show up. Must be that all of your players are much more evenly matched, or your events have a lot more competitors.

#29 9 years ago

Ohio is at about 2170 total points among the top 16 and it's about 57 to get in. 2014 saw a big growth in the number of events held here and there is still one left to go.

Looking at last year... there were only about 1045 points among the top 16 and 33 could get you in. After it went down the list to fill all the spots, the 16th seed made it in only earning 14 points for the year. That won't even get you close this time around.

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

Can you elaborate on this part? I can't see how you can determine skill levels by looking at the results, unless you're seeing local players overtaking non-locals.

I mean the scores themselves. We use a linear format with the scottdanesi software. D&D posts each months' results to their facebook page. The event uses 10 of the ~30 machines that they have. Just looking at the result from this month, and one machine in particular. The 4th lowest score of 19 players in December would have almost won on ACDC in the beginning of the year. That is a constant for all machines. The entire group of scores have increased as the year has gone on. Granted, the location has only been open for ~15 months, but it shows that everyone is improving.

I don't expect to see things happen at that pace next year, but I know we haven't maxed out yet either. The only invasion pressure Tucson feels is from Phoenix, about a 2 hour drive. We don't get very many out of state players, even to the 25 point events.

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from appeac:

Weird, MI is at ~1400 total, but 35 pts gets you in top 16 and more like 20 for who will actually show up. Must be that all of your players are much more evenly matched, or your events have a lot more competitors.

Will be interesting to see who actually shows up in GR for the MI. SCS since the location will be relatively close to Indiana / Ohio borders. Might even get a Illinois person or two.

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from appeac:

I am not sure exactly what is the difference but we have quite a few out of staters that come to all of our bigger events and win them to take home the nig points. We also have a growing group of WI players that seek out and play in a TON of events. I think this has inflated what it takes to be top 16.

My best guess is we will go decently deep, mid 20s, in order to fill the field? Jason Werdrick will likely show up in WI but I think all other out of staters go by the motto of "play where you live" for SCS.

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

I mean the scores themselves. We use a linear format with the scottdanesi software. D&D posts each months' results to their facebook page. The event uses 10 of the ~30 machines that they have. Just looking at the result from this month, and one machine in particular. The 4th lowest score of 19 players in December would have almost won on ACDC in the beginning of the year. That is a constant for all machines. The entire group of scores have increased as the year has gone on. Granted, the location has only been open for ~15 months, but it shows that everyone is improving.
    I don't expect to see things happen at that pace next year, but I know we haven't maxed out yet either. The only invasion pressure Tucson feels is from Phoenix, about a 2 hour drive. We don't get very many out of state players, even to the 25 point events.

That makes sense, and is very cool to see. I was of course picturing looking at just place results rather than scores as well.

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Will be interesting to see who actually shows up in GR for the MI...

#35 9 years ago

??? Ann Arbor is only 2 hours from Grand Rapids... I drove from Dallas to Austin for TX finals last year... that's 60 miles extra.

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

That makes sense, and is very cool to see. I was of course picturing looking at just place results rather than scores as well.

Yeah. I actually used to keep a spreadsheet of each event and the scores on the games. I color coded the cells based on the scottdanesi software (blue/green/yellow/orange/red, no shades) to see if I did better or worse that event. The problem is that the scores relative to mine were increasing, so the colors would never indicate that. I have to go back and change the color to pretty much red or green based on if it was higher or lower to the last event. That way I can track if I'm improving and not relate it to how I did compared to others. Might add a neutral color in there for a score that is +/- 10% of the last time the machine was used.

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

??? Ann Arbor is only 2 hours from Grand Rapids... I drove from Dallas to Austin for TX finals last year... that's 60 miles extra.

I'll be out of the country that weekend

Dammit I thought I have everything worked out...sucks.

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I'll be out of the country that weekend
    Dammit I thought I have everything worked out...sucks.

Sorry to hear that man. there's a lot of bad timing with the SCS really...

The nationals are the same weekend as TPF. Epic fail.

#39 9 years ago

TPF always gets put on another events date or vice-versa, hence I'll never make it down there. Of course that's a major consequence of the sheer number of leagues, tourneys, and shows that have popped up and been added to the calender the past few years. Growing pains

#40 9 years ago

Was an exciting final weekend in AZ. Congrats to Mark for his victory in the state rankings (and for the awesome charity event he hosted), and to those that moved up big time with great showings in the final events, particularly Doug and Paul.

#41 9 years ago

In regards to the topic, some weird stuff happened to the points in MI at least. Andy was in 3rd after the miracle charity tournament points were submitted, and it seems like Todd, Andy, and Andrew have lost some points???

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from appeac:

In regards to the topic, some weird stuff happened to the points in MI at least.

Ha I've never understood them wacky points. I gained like 25 points after that and dropped.

#43 9 years ago

They lost points because the Alley Pass League (and other leagues) reported twice or more during the season. When this happens the original points and the points from the last reporting get cut in half (to make one whole event worth 25 base points). So the IFPA people put the leagues in and then went back and checked to see they had already reported thus making the points cut in half for each reporting date.

#44 9 years ago

Ahhh...thanks Alex. I was wondering why the league showed up as the latest event all of a sudden.

#45 9 years ago

Funny that the same explanation for the first post is applicable. Glad we're moving to wppr5; makes so much more sense.

#46 9 years ago

In Alabama 16th position was only 5.62 points. Due to out of state players, we are currently down to 20th position to fill the field, at 3.89 points. That player got all his points from only one event, a strong finish at our Walking Dead launch tourney!

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from appeac:

In regards to the topic, some weird stuff happened to the points in MI at least. Andy was in 3rd after the miracle charity tournament points were submitted, and it seems like Todd, Andy, and Andrew have lost some points???

They are still making adjustments to many things on the IFPA/WPPR side of things. More shakeups to come before 5.0 hits.

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

They are still making adjustments to many things on the IFPA/WPPR side of things. More shakeups to come before 5.0 hits.

Eh? I thought it was supposed to start Jan 1...running a bit short on time, or is my memory bad?

#49 9 years ago

Last minute rush of events / tourneys to enter and verify. Many leagues have reported end of season stats in order to get 2014 points added in for SCS's. Thus turning many annual events into periodic ones. Just my guess. Wppr 5.0 in 2015 unless something changed.

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Last minute rush of events / tourneys to enter and verify. Many leagues have reported end of season stats in order to get 2014 points added in for SCS's. Thus turning many annual events into periodic ones. Just my guess. Wppr 5.0 in 2015 unless something changed.

Gotcha. Thought you meant shakeups in the point systems, not necessarily as a result of late-ish tournament results entries.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ifpa-points-event-was-added-but-i-lost-points and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.