(Topic ID: 72573)

I was going so well with my first PB (Capt Fantastic), until...

By 4Max

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by poppapin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Help.jpg
Help.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I had a long thread 2 weeks ago where a number of you helped me, especially Pin-It and Chrisbee. Since then I have cleaned up my CF, rebuild pop bumpers, drop targets, fixed a stuck on 100 point relay, fixed match unit, etc. All going really well...until last couple of nights, as I'm now back to square one! Meaning, nothing happens when I press the credit button.

Here's the state of play:

1. Power on machine, Lock relay energizes and stays on, lights on.
2. Credit button does nothing
3. Manually putting a coin in, or manually energizing the coin relay advances the score motor about 170 degrees - does not finish in the start position.
4. Manually energizing credit relay causes reset and credit relay to energize and stay locked on but does not kick off any of the resetting activities. (At least last time when I had the problem, the reset relay would reset the machine!)

Does this help anyone help me?! I cannot believe it all worked a few days ago..I have checked and rechecked the obvious switches but all seem to be testing ok.

Would really love some ideas....thanks, Danny

#2 10 years ago

Oops. Sorry, just posted twice - so removed text here (could not see way to delete this post entirely)

#3 10 years ago

FWIW Clay's EM guide is very useful.

It sounds like a similar problem that I had in my Wizard! It basically wouldn't start. After tracing reels to relays, Multimetering for power, I relized that I wasn't getting power for one of the main relays (reset?) I traced that wire back to the coin doir, and when I touched the wire at the coin mech, it fell off
I touched it together, and press start - BAM - everything is working again. There was multiple wires on that mech, so it must have killed the daisy chain.

I then remembered reading that Clay was against these coin mech's and was suggesting a mod to override them, especially in home use environment. I didn't go back and find the spot, it was easier to solder it back at this point.

Disclosure: I'm no EM tech, just sharing my experience.

#4 10 years ago

What do you mean"rotates 170 degrees", why?
So the screen motor is not getting back to zero position?.
When the screen motor gets a start signal, it keeps going by it own hold sw located on

the cam next to the motor. If

#5 10 years ago

Bloody auto correct. Using my phone tonight

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from Chrisbee:

What do you mean"rotates 170 degrees", why?
So the screen motor is not getting back to zero position?.
When the screen motor gets a start signal, it keeps going by it own hold sw located on
the cam next to the motor. If

Chrisbee - I await your "non-auto-corrected version" with baited breath as I am very cose to calling a "repair man" but hate the fact that I would be giving up! To confirm your first questions, yes the score motor only goes 170 degrees and stops before the rest position (where one of the two cut outs in cam 1 are). This occurs when I "coin" the machine, as per previous post, nothing happens when I press credit button, or when I manually press credit relay (apart from it stays stuck on!).

Is the "hold switch" the 1e switch (the one that has to be closed for the credit button to work - is it the same one?)

#7 10 years ago

Hi Danny, home from work, its 1am sunday.
Remember that we spend a lot of time fixing symptoms and not the problem.
With this in mind, we should make the known problem right first, the Score Motor.
looking at the schematic, I have had a thought. The SCR Motor is started by a number of other RE's. once started the SCR Motor hold SW (1E) keeps it running till it is back at zero poison. while making the rotation, it trips the all RE's that started the SCR Motor. in your case, at 170 degrees, one of the the RE's associated with cam 10, gets tripped and the SCR Motor stops, because the hold SW (1E) is not holding. And SW 1E is a make/break SW, while it is "made" it holds the SCR motor on, and the "Broken" side stops the credit button from working. I would look at SW 1E.

While the SCR Motor is not at zero poistion,the credit button will not work.

Help.jpgHelp.jpg

#8 10 years ago

In case you are wandering why i thinking it is a SW on cam 10 that kept the SCR Motor running till 170 Degrees. On the schematic it has the cams drawn. In your case there are 8 (zero to 7) position in 180 degrees, from zero to zero on the SCR Motor. this makes each position 22.5 degrees apart. Your SCR Motor is stopping short of Zero (170 degrees)- (180/8)*7= 157 degrees, Close.

Lesson 3 - reading schematics > Done

PS- The black spot is NOT on to off, but a change of state. Notice how cam 11 has its spots in between the positions, that's covered in lesson 11

Help.jpgHelp.jpg

#9 10 years ago

Just went back to you other post, you are already on to this.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kicking-myself-cleaning-switches-has-led-to-no-start

#10 10 years ago

I had a problem once where the score motor was sticking when starting a game, all I had to do was give it a little nudge and off she went. I think that fix is in clay's guide also. Actually Norm & Shaggy's Tops video, the EM one has helped me out a lot!! They're hilarious too!! Proceeds go to Tim & Salvation Army.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

1,799 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Charlottesville, VA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-was-going-so-well-with-my-first-pb-capt-fantastic-until and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.