Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
FE1532E3-4453-488B-8B69-0ED0B36C00C0 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240113-122356_Chrome.jpg
20240112_205853.jpg
20240112_192903.jpg
#1 3 months ago

I bought a new troybilt snowblower 2 yrs ago. I've never had an issue with it the past 2 winters. It has an electric start but I can start it usually on the 1st or 2nd pull so I've never bothered using it.

We're in the middle of a several day blizzard and of course my snowblower wouldn't start. I'm not a mechanic and I know next to nothing about snowblowers.....but I figured if I can learn how to rebuild pinball machines I can figure out how to fix my snowblower.

I found a well done and extremely informative YouTube video series on troubleshooting the exact same model of snowblower. I followed every step and ended up rebuilding the carburetor just from the directions on the video.....super uncharted territory for me.

I drained all the gas, put my newly rebuilt carburetor in, put fresh gas in, and it started right up! I ran it for about 30min with no issues at all.

It's a pretty proud moment for me, it may sound weird but if I've never gotten into this hobby of collecting and fixing pinball machines I would've never had the confidence to even attempt to rebuild the carburetor on the snowblower.

20240112_192903.jpg20240112_192903.jpg20240112_205853.jpg20240112_205853.jpg
#2 3 months ago

When the snow season wraps up, I top off my snowblower with new gasoline and add Sta-bil fuel stabilizer and run it for about 10 minutes. I also only buy gas with no ethanol added to run in my small engines as it burns at a cooler temperature. I bought my snowblower in 2005 and never had it not start. I also start it up a few times in the off season and run it for about 5 minutes.

#3 3 months ago

Congrats, glad you got it running. Brutal day to have a breakdown. I ended up getting the end of 3 neighbor's driveways this morning because of broken snowblowers or their batteries died.

#4 3 months ago

I am very proud of you. Not being sarcastic.

#5 3 months ago
Quoted from Eric_S:

When the snow season wraps up, I top off my snowblower with new gasoline and add Sta-bil fuel stabilizer and run it for about 10 minutes. I also only buy gas with no ethanol added to run in my small engines as it burns at a cooler temperature. I bought my snowblower in 2005 and never had it not start. I also start it up a few times in the off season and run it for about 5 minutes.

I think that was my primary issue is the gas being left in. I always use premium for my lawnmower and snowblower but I never did anything to treat the fuel after the snow season. So it just sat with the old feul. I definitely put the stabil in it at the end of the season. I like the idea of starting it a few times throughout the year too.

Quoted from Zambonilli:

Congrats, glad you got it running. Brutal day to have a breakdown. I ended up getting the end of 3 neighbors driveway this morning because of broken snowblowers or their batteries died.

Yeah, this weather has been awful. I got the end of mine and 3 others neighbors driveway after I got it going...its ugly out there today.

#6 3 months ago

a trick to not have old gas in it from the previous year. Drain the gas at the end of snow season, Then run it, until it runs itself out of gas completely. THis will keep you from having to rebuild the carb every year. Also use the non ethanol gas, as it doesn't gum up like ethanol stuff does.

#7 3 months ago
Quoted from Foxxstone_80:

I think that was my primary issue is the gas being left in. I always use premium for my lawnmower and snowblower but I never did anything to treat the fuel after the snow season. So it just sat with the old feul. I definitely put the stabil in it at the end of the season. I like the idea of starting it a few times throughout the year too.

Yeah, this weather has been awful. I got the endorsement mine and 3 others neighbors driveway after I got it going...its ugly out there today.

also, just because it's premium, doesn't mean it doesn't have ethanol in it. Has to say specifically that there isn't any in it on the pump.

#8 3 months ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

a trick to not have old gas in it from the previous year. Drain the gas at the end of snow season, Then run it, until it runs itself out of gas completely. THis will keep you from having to rebuild the carb every year. Also use the non ethanol gas, as it doesn't gum up like ethanol stuff does.

I did run it empty last year, thinking that would prevent any issues. But per the maintenance manual (I had to find it online of course) after you run it out of gas your supposed to put fresh gas in and treat it with stabil then run it for 10min before you let it sit. I'll be doing this from now on as well as starting it every so often during the "off season" as Eric suggested.

#9 3 months ago

I did run it empty last year, thinking that would prevent any issues. But per the maintenance manual (I had to find it online of course) after you run it out of gas your supposed to put fresh gas in and treat it with stabil then run it for 10min before you let it sit. I'll be doing this from now on as well as starting it every so often during the "off season" as Eric suggested.

you do not want gas in it at all. You want to drain it dry and leave it. todays gas turns to varnish in about 3 months with the ethanol in it. Non ethanol versions last a lot longer.

#10 3 months ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

also, just because it's premium, doesn't mean it doesn't have ethanol in it. Has to say specifically that there isn't any in it on the I usually fill up with the premium/no ethanol added.

also, just because it's premium, doesn't mean it doesn't have ethanol in it. Has to say specifically that there isn't any in it on the pump.

Good to know, I used premium that was labeled no ethanol added so we're all good.

#11 3 months ago

like neo said, no gas is better than gas with stabil.

#12 3 months ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you do not want gas in it at all. You want to drain it dry and leave it.

Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

like neo said, no gas is better than gas with stabil.

Interesting, I have ran it out of gas at the end of the season since I bought it. I've never stored it with a full tank or anything. The owner manual does state to put stabil at the endof the season:

Screenshot_20240113-122356_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20240113-122356_Chrome.jpg

#13 3 months ago

I bought a new troybilt snowblower 2 yrs ago. I've never had an issue with it the past 2 winters. It has an electric start but I can start it usually on the 1st or 2nd pull so I've never bothered using it.
We're in the middle of a several day blizzard and of course my snowblower wouldn't start. I'm not a mechanic and I know next to nothing about snowblowers.....but I figured if I can learn how to rebuild pinball machines I can figure out how to fix my snowblower.
I found a well done and extremely informative YouTube video series on troubleshooting the exact same model of snowblower. I followed every step and ended up rebuilding the carburetor just from the directions on the video.....super uncharted territory for me.
I drained all the gas, put my newly rebuilt carburetor in, put fresh gas in, and it started right up! I ran it for about 30min with no issues at all.
It's a pretty proud moment for me, it may sound weird but if I've never gotten into this hobby of collecting and fixing pinball machines I would've never had the confidence to even attempt to rebuild the carburetor on the snowblower. [quoted image][quoted image]

Nice work!! Pinball is very much a jack-of-all-trades hobby, a lot of useful life skills learned which translate well into other aspects of life!

#14 3 months ago

Feel the pride in your post title

#15 3 months ago

Congrats!

As someone that has rebuilt 100s of carburetors, that one is pretty basic and simple, but now you are ready to move onto the quadrajet in your Chevy. lol.

As others have said, get rid of the gas at the end of the season. I even let the carb on my mower run dry each time I use it.

#16 3 months ago

Good work. I was a small engine mechanic a few decades ago in my previous career, and old fuel varnishing up in carburetors was the number one thing that we saw. I rebuilt a lot of carburetors!

Personally, I typically just add Sta-bil to my stuff at the end of the season and usually don't run them dry, and I do even use gasoline with ethanol.

Even if you do run things "dry", there's always going to be a very small amount of fuel left in the float bowl, so unless you are going to remove the bowl and wipe it and the float dry, it's not really benefitting you all that much. Sta-bil will help more overall.

#17 3 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

Congrats!
As someone that has rebuilt 100s of carburetors, that one is pretty basic and simple, but now you are ready to move onto the quadrajet in your Chevy. lol.

Ha! I don't know about that, but thanks! You're right, it wasn't really that complicated...for me, it was more just the idea of doing it without ever having done it before that was intimidating. The actual process was pretty simple and straightforward.

#18 3 months ago

Good to hear you got it going. My Toro has sat the last couple years as my friend procrastination has not allowed me to fix it.

I must admit, I have enjoyed shoveling with wide shovel despite the last snowfalls heavy wet snow. I believe I am at 13" 14" total snow fall so far.

#19 3 months ago
Quoted from chad:

Good to hear you got it going. My Toro has sat the last couple years as my friend procrastination has not allowed me to fix it.
I must admit, I have enjoyed shoveling with wide shovel despite the last snowfalls heavy wet snow. I believe I am at 13" 14" total snow fall so far.

I don't mind shoveling, I just think of it as an extra workout for the day....but it sure is nice to have my snowblower running again.

#20 3 months ago

i just got back in from snowblowing. I was rewarded to find out that my reverse doesn't work anymore in mine. And my snowblower feels like it weighs about 500 lbs. so that was a treat.

#21 3 months ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i just got back in from snowblowing. I was rewarded to find out that my reverse doesn't work anymore in mine. And my snowblower feels like it weighs about 500 lbs. so that was a treat.

If you have a Husqvarna, it's just a simple adjustment of one of the control rods. I had to adjust mine at the end of last year.

#22 3 months ago

Had a garage door opener acting up last year. Would randomly stop part way when opening and closing.
Sometimes had to open and close it manually. Looking for a new one and decided to take it apart to see if I could find anything first.
Found a cracked solder joint on a pin on the circuit board. Reflowed the solder and has worked great since.

Would have never known had I not ever worked on a circuit board on a pinball before.
Pretty simple fix and satisfying to be able to repair things yourself.

#23 3 months ago

Ha! I don't know about that, but thanks! You're right, it wasn't really that complicated...for me, it was more just the idea of doing it without ever having done it before that was intimidating. The actual process was pretty simple and straightforward.

I started fixing things real young out of necessity. I was about 6 when I dropped an HO train engine that didn't belong to me. I found screwdrivers and some model glue and got it all back together before the guy showed up that owned it.

Then almost 30 years as a mechanic specializing in tune up and electrical made working on pinball machines a piece of cake. Kinda reverse order there. But YouTube is a great resource these days for fixing just about anything.

#24 3 months ago
FE1532E3-4453-488B-8B69-0ED0B36C00C0 (resized).jpegFE1532E3-4453-488B-8B69-0ED0B36C00C0 (resized).jpeg
#25 3 months ago
Quoted from KJIa:

Had a garage door opener acting up last year. Would randomly stop part way when opening and closing.
Sometimes had to open and close it manually. Looking for a new one and decided to take it apart to see if I could find anything first.
Found a cracked solder joint on a pin on the circuit board. Reflowed the solder and has worked great since.
Would have never known had I not ever worked on a circuit board on a pinball before.
Pretty simple fix and satisfying to be able to repair things yourself.

That's awesome! I've fixed a few other minor things with my skills I aquired from pinball repair. Always a great sense of accomplishment when you can fix things yourself. Then the money saved on having someone else do it can go to more important things, like pinball!

Quoted from o-din:

I started fixing things real young out of necessity. I was about 6 when I dropped an HO train engine that didn't belong to me. I found screwdrivers and some model glue and got it all back together before the guy showed up that owned it.
Then almost 30 years as a mechanic specializing in tune up and electrical made working on pinball machines a piece of cake. Kinda reverse order there. But YouTube is a great resource these days for fixing just about anything.

YouTube can a be a great resource for sure. For a lot of people, it's much easier to learn how to do something by seeing it done vs reading how to do it.

Here's one of the videos I used to fix my snowblower. The guy in the video only has one hand, its inspiring. When I first watched I was hesitant to try but then I thought If he can do it with only one hand then I have no excuse.

#26 3 months ago

YouTube can a be a great resource for sure. For a lot of people, it's much easier to learn how to do something by seeing it done vs reading how to do it.

I still use it because even something simple like removing door panels in a car can destroy stuff like fasteners if you've never done that one before. I had to go to YouTube to replace the back deck speaker covers on my daughter's Camry as that was some involved procedure with hidden screws and everything.

#27 3 months ago

Wait a sec, you're not gonna tell us it was Taryl?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#28 3 months ago

Nice job everyone! You hit all of the key points.
There are a few other minor items that also may be helpful:

1. The carburetor float bowl, which is most likely inverted, should have a drain valve and tube off the bottom. If so, you don't need to take the carburetor off at the end of the season, and take the bowl off to drain. Just open the drain valve. If there is no drain tubing, you should be able to add to the end of the drain valve, which makes it easier to drain to a can. More gas is stored in that bowl than you think.
2. If you add the Sta-Bil to your gas (recommended if you can't buy ethanol-free), then, if I remember correctly, the Sta-Bil label says it remains stable for 24 months. So technically, you don't need to drain anything at the end of the season. I haven't, when I use the Sta-Bil additive and have not had a problem. Make use you buy the additive for Ethanol stabilization.....there are other types of gas additives.

Good luck!

#29 3 months ago

My tip is that I add Star-Tron stabilizer every time I fill my 2 and 5 gallon gas tanks. Usually one bottle of star Tron per year ($8). Gas is always stable and I run my equipment dry every year for storage. You could probably get away with leaving a full tank of the stabilized fuel in the equipment after running it through the engine, but I just run it dry.

#30 3 months ago

The necessity to use ethanol-free gas can't be overstated. My mother's lawn mower needed a new carburetor about 15 years ago. We never figured out why it was always hard to start and the beginning of the spring season. It continued to do this after every winter even after it was serviced with a replacement carb. A couple of years ago I then came across Tim Gross's channel, Taryl Fixes All. He has owned his own small engine shop for many years and 2 of his sons work with him. It was by watching his videos that I learned about E10 gasoline and what it does to small engines. I never knew this. The switch to what was known as "gasohol" in the 1970s and '80s replaced 10% of the gasoline with ethanol derived from corn, which not only contains less energy and is less efficient to produce but also attracts moisture. It's this moisture that causes rust and corrosion to small engine parts, particularly the carburetor.

The ethanol content of E10 blended gas destroys rubber fuel lines, grommets, and plastic parts. My mom had this leaf blower from 1997 as well that has not been used since 2005 because it stopped starting. I gave it to an older guy who is much like Taryl, loves to fix anything that runs on gas. He was able to get it going, and told me the fuel lines and primer bulb were so petrified from the ethanol everything literally fell apart in his hands. I also rebuilt the carburetor on a 1985 John Deere mower that wouldn't stay running. That too was running on E10 fuel for most of its life. It's back to 100%.

I now of course use ethanol free gas on all small engines including my generator. Not only does that same mower start on first or second pull now every spring, but the fuel from the previous fall doesn't even need topping up with fresh gas to get it running, no additives used. A change for the better. When I was a kid in the 1990s I don't remember my dad having these kinds of issues getting stuff to start in the spring. Now I know why.

#31 3 months ago

Yea.....ethanol is fuel manufactured from corn.
Just look at corn when humans are finished processing it!!
(mainly because humans don't have enzymes to break down cellulose)
..but hydrocarbon based gasoline doesn't like it either........it's not natural.....

#32 3 months ago

I remember years ago it was in the news that farmers in Mexico were protesting growing corn for ethanol production, when all those thousands of acres could instead be used to feed millions. It's like stuffing a hamburger in your gas tank and wondering why it stops running.

#33 3 months ago

It all started back in the late 70's....during the Carter years......when there was an oil embargo. People were standing in lines at the gas stations.....then they set days where you could only get gas on odd & even days based on your license plate.
Ahhh......the good ole Carter days!

Anyway....while all the chaos was ensuing.....the US government was funding new ways to manufacture alternative fuels. My chemistry professor, back in the day, was part of this funding effort and was telling us all of the stories. Very interesting. He was part of the team who helped develop a lot of the alternative fuels we have today. Smart guy......he only did what they paid him to do......now we are stuck with it.

#34 3 months ago

That's awesome OP! This hobby will make you a lot braver, and willing to put in a little effort to save a lot of bucks.

Pinball saved me around $800 because it taught me how to solder and use a multimeter. When my mini-split wires got chewed up I figured why not try to mend it myself? Admittedly, the first time I called a pro, which is how I know a new wire harness plus labor is $800.

Glad you've done repairs and know about storage for next year.

#35 3 months ago

Small engine home repair is easy with old Tarryldactyl in your pocket! It’s always the carb. You don’t need a new one every year, but they are dirt cheap. It’s just gunk in the jet (little needle thing). Push a wire thru it and clear out them holes. Voila. No air filter lets every little piece of dust right into the carb.

#36 3 months ago

In the past five years I’ve used my snowblower 2-3 times, we just don’t get that much snowfall here anymore. A big change from when I was younger, chalk it up to global warming I guess. I’ve thought about selling my snowblower as it just takes up space and never gets used, but the one time we get 6-8 inches of snow and I have to shovel it by hand will be day I stroke out.

#37 3 months ago

It's a pretty proud moment for me, it may sound weird but if I've never gotten into this hobby of collecting and fixing pinball machines I would've never had the confidence to even attempt to rebuild the carburetor on the snowblower. [quoted image][quoted image]

What's keeping you from using the electric start? My Craftsman fires right up every time using an extension cord.

#38 3 months ago

Luckily today with our super dry snow we got I was able to clear my driveway with my battery powered leaf blower. Leaf blower for the win.

#39 3 months ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

What's keeping you from using the electric start? My Craftsman fires right up every time using an extension cord.

Because I'm still young and strong man lol. As I said previously, it usually starts on the first or second pull so I don't bother using the electric start. When my wife occasionally uses it she'll use the electric start since its harder for her to pull start.

Even with the electric start, It would not start until I cleaned the carburetor. Now it's back to starting on 1 or 2 pulls.

#40 3 months ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Luckily today with our super dry snow we got I was able to clear my driveway with my battery powered leaf blower. Leaf blower for the win.

Nice! I wish that's all I needed in my area.

#41 3 months ago

Congrats! Feels good, doesnt it?

Many of us have used pin-related skills elsewhere just like you.

Last time my lawnmower conked out, the rebuild kit was like $3 less than an entire new carb, so I just replaced it. At the end of the season, I let both the mower and snowblower run til empty. Fill up w FRESH gas in the spring (or fall), never a problem. Never used Stabil.

#42 3 months ago

Damn near impossible to get E0 gas anywhere near me, couple places down near the beach and a few closer places in PA sell racing gas in 5 gallon increments. So I am in the Sta-Bil and run it dry in the fall camp for now but may take a 5 gallon can south next time I go which may be just enough to get me through an entire yard care season.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-fixed-my-snowblower and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.