12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC05485.JPG
    DSC05484.JPG
    DSC05483.JPG
    DSC05482.JPG
    #1 12 years ago

Just got me a new IJ today, havent been used in a long time, looks nice under the dust.

THE BATTERIES WAS EXPIRED JAN 2000 !!!!!!!

Lucky mee no damadge on the CPU board!!! Pehewwww!!!

DSC05482.JPGDSC05482.JPG DSC05483.JPGDSC05483.JPG DSC05484.JPGDSC05484.JPG DSC05485.JPGDSC05485.JPG

#2 12 years ago

Wow, right to the edge lol. Great find grats!

#3 12 years ago

pin gods looking after you today.

#4 12 years ago

You win some and you lose some when it comes to the battery lottery. This time you are a winner!

#5 12 years ago

Make sure to neutralize the acid!!!!

#6 12 years ago

Ah yess, cleaned all day, this one in defenentley a winner, what a nice IJ

I installed new batt holder, and offcourse new batts

Still cant believe it, expired back in jan 2000

Yes yes yes, pin godt are whatching over me with this one...

#8 12 years ago

The battery holder on my TOTAN looked exactly the same as yours. I cleaned it off and installed a remote holder. Good as new.

#9 12 years ago

Can't beat Duracell's

#10 12 years ago

Hope you got a 2 buck discount off the price because it had expired batteries

#11 12 years ago

You lucked out that the guy put Duracells in the game. If those were Energizers, you'd be looking for a new MPU board.

#12 12 years ago

Here's a video of me discovering something similar in my Black Rose (and how to neutralize the acid, etc.):

http://pinballhelp.com/first-look-bally-black-rose-and-dealing-with-leaking-batteries/

and here's a video of how to do a remote battery holder:

http://pinballhelp.com/how-to-add-a-remote-battery-holder-to-your-pinball-machine/

I hope that helps!

#13 12 years ago

Alkaline batteries don't leak acid, they leak alkaline. There's a big difference, alkaline is a base and must be neutralized with an acid.

Duracells, Energizers and all brands of batteries leak under various circumstances.

No manufacturer of batteries, whether alkaline or lithium, are immune from leakage. See enough batteries, you'll see plenty of them that leak.

Get them off the board, and replace them every year or two.

#14 12 years ago

Very lucky the batteries didn't leak after 12 years!!!

#15 12 years ago

I have seen 30 year old batteries that didn't leak and I have seen brand new ones that were leaking in the package.
    I put remote holders with long leads on my games and never change the batteries unless they leak or go dead.
    If they leak I desolder the holder, toss it and solder on another one.
    You spend the money for 45 batteries and if you get a bad lot it can be two months later or less and you have some leakers.
    Duracell may replace your flashlight but they won't buy you a new CPU.

#16 12 years ago

Remote holders are the only way to go CPU's are too spendy to risk for the sake of a $3 holder and some solder

#17 12 years ago
    Quoted from zippydapinhead:

CPU's are too spendy to risk for the sake of a $3 holder and some solder

What Zippy said...

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

Here's a video of me discovering something similar in my Black Rose (and how to neutralize the acid, etc.):
    http://pinballhelp.com/first-look-bally-black-rose-and-dealing-with-leaking-batteries/
    and here's a video of how to do a remote battery holder:
    http://pinballhelp.com/how-to-add-a-remote-battery-holder-to-your-pinball-machine/
    I hope that helps!

Thank you for these links
    I dident know how to clean, so just replaced the batt holder/batts, and all works well

But now reading here, i think ill remove the holder again, and installt it else where

Just wanted to share this experience with you guys, i was danm lucky

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

Alkaline batteries don't leak acid, they leak alkaline. There's a big difference, alkaline is a base and must be neutralized with an acid.
    Duracells, Energizers and all brands of batteries leak under various circumstances.
    No manufacturer of batteries, whether alkaline or lithium, are immune from leakage. See enough batteries, you'll see plenty of them that leak.
    Get them off the board, and replace them every year or two.

You are right, if it were we would use baking soda, like on a car battery....but since it is a base we use an acid like vinegar to neutralize. I am sure most folks knew this but it never hurts to mention the basics

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i%c2%b4m-a-lucky-guy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.