(Topic ID: 171009)

How to run a casual pinball tournament?

By halomojo

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Not sure if this is the correct area to post this thread, but I have a few questions about the best way to host a casual pinball tournament. I have 3 machines, and a few friends who play a bit, but I definitely have much more time with pinball than everyone else. There are probably going to be around 30 people or so in attendance. I've attended a few tournaments in the past where you just play a game by yourself and try to put up the best score and then I've been to some where you play head to head matches. I find the head to head stuff much more fun and engaging because it creates a more fun sense of competition and can make people who don't play often get more excited about it. I think it also makes newcomers feel more comfortable and pay attention to the game instead of feeling isolated when they're playing a game all by themselves.

• around 30 people in attendance
    • $5 to enter (maybe 1st and 2nd place take the pot)
    • How to organize head to head (3 round knock out?)
    • I like the idea of head to head because that'll mean towards the end there will be a few exciting games with money on the line.

Anyways, I'm kind of thinking out loud here wondering if someone has figured out a good way to do this. Thanks so much!

#2 7 years ago

http://www.printyourbrackets.com

Print a bracket, randomly write down peoples name for head to head.

For game choice put 3 items in a hat and have a group member pull out item which will determine which pin group plays.

You can use software but its more complicated.3 round knockout use brackelope. Online bracket use challonge . I personally use matchplay.events

#3 7 years ago

I've done a few parties with non pinheads with a casual tournament. You really cannot underestimate just how casual and approachable you need to make it. For starters I would not require a cash buy in and prize. Adds complexity/intimidating etc. do a very simple format like golf (post the target score clearly on each machine). Make sure the tournament doesn't last too long (1 hr or less). Have some grand prizes for the winner(a) and just furnish them your self (nice bottle of booze or whatnot). As an added fun thing, offer small prizes to anyone that puts up a high score during the evening. Like mini booze bottles. And you will need to manually lower even the default high scores considerably for anyone to ever reach them. Just focus on making it fun and approachable and the little prizes will encourage a lot of ppl to play that otherwise won't. Think if you went to someone's house and they were into some hobby that your are not (crocheting maybe?) and what would it take to get you to participate . Let us know what you do and how it goes.

Jack

#4 7 years ago

Yeah remove the cash
    Winner gets a trophy or a six packof beer

#5 7 years ago

Hah! I guess no one is in favor of the cash element. (Maybe I have a gambling problem hahah!)

#6 7 years ago

I would use https://matchplay.events so everyone can see the data. They can also enter their own scores, you approve them before they are official.

Definitely try to figure out how long a three strikes event will take with thirty people. You don't want to go hours past your expected finish time.

#7 7 years ago

My guests enjoy rounds of weird challenges like playing with crossed hands, low-score pin golf, or while wearing special "fireworks" glasses that refract the lights. I've also thought about covering the playfield glass with cardboard that has holes and strategically cut shapes to limit visibility. I was really inspired by the Pinball Olympics games at ReplayFX.

#8 7 years ago

Yeah I would say 3 strikes tournament on 3 games with 30 people would take a while. Putting everyone into 4 person groups would cut down on the time I would think. Bottom 2 get strikes.

That or do two strikes.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from halomojo:

Hah! I guess no one is in favor of the cash element. (Maybe I have a gambling problem hahah!)

No, you are over thinking it
    Keep it simple, keep it fun

#10 7 years ago

Or to expand on the pingolf idea. Have each game play as 6 holes. Come up with 6 different objectives for each game to make your 18 holes. Or just have everyone play 9 holes and do 3 objectives each. It might take a while, but everyone could go at their own pace. Best golf score at the end of the party wins a prize.

#11 7 years ago

I like the idea of keeping it simple with normal pinball games, no gimmicky stuff (great ideas) but we're looking to show people the normal 1v1 pinball. Maybe we could expand it to 4 player games or something. Again, just thinking out loud here. Awesome responses so far. Really cool to see how everyone has done it in the past!

#12 7 years ago

What about a format where for the 1v1 match up the players play two games on the same machine to decide the winner, with the cumulative score the decider? For example, the two players play on High Speed. Player 1 finishes the game with 1 million points, whereas Player 2 gets really unlucky with the bounces and finishes with only 100,000. The second game, Player 1 finishes with another 1 million points, but Player 2 puts up a score of 2 million points. In this format, Player 2 would win with 2.1 million vs 2 million from Player 1.

My thinking is that sometimes you just have a really bad game and get super unlucky with some drains. In my opinion, if the format was left to one game head to head play, one player can just get kind of shafted by the luck factor. By playing at least two games, it forces both players to put up as high of a score as they can each game. And it takes away having to play a third game if you were playing best 2 out of 3 series.

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from Bugsy:

What about a format where for the 1v1 match up the players play two games on the same machine to decide the winner, with the cumulative score the decider? For example, the two players play on High Speed. Player 1 finishes the game with 1 million points, whereas Player 2 gets really unlucky with the bounces and finishes with only 100,000. The second game, Player 1 finishes with another 1 million points, but Player 2 puts up a score of 2 million points. In this format, Player 2 would win with 2.1 million vs 2 million from Player 1.
    My thinking is that sometimes you just have a really bad game and get super unlucky with some drains. In my opinion, if the format was left to one game head to head play, one player can just get kind of shafted by the luck factor. By playing at least two games, it forces both players to put up as high of a score as they can each game. And it takes away having to play a third game if you were playing best 2 out of 3 series.

Yep! I would definitely want people to have multiple attempts. I went to a super cool casual tournament in Seattle last year where it was a $5 buy in and everyone entered their names with the host. Then the host would announce, "Ok, Player A, you're playing Player B on Addams Family. Player C, you're playing player D on Diner." etc. Then once you lost 3 times in a head to head match up, you're out. There was about an hour or so of practice before hand. Was a really fun way to do it and there were a lot of newcomers there. But the big caveat is that this place had 20 machines haha.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from halomojo:

Yep! I would definitely want people to have multiple attempts. I went to a super cool casual tournament in Seattle last year where it was a $5 buy in and everyone entered their names with the host. Then the host would announce, "Ok, Player A, you're playing Player B on Addams Family. Player C, you're playing player D on Diner." etc. Then once you lost 3 times in a head to head match up, you're out. There was about an hour or so of practice before hand. Was a really fun way to do it and there were a lot of newcomers there. But the big caveat is that this place had 20 machines haha.

Yeah that is what is keeping your tournament from running as fast. Having only 3 games it's really tough to have a tournament with 30 people take less than 6 hours to be honest. At least I cannot think of any formats that would make for a quick tournament.

#15 7 years ago

I concur with JackD, don't charge anything (the "tournament" format is intimidating enough for casual players). Keep it relatively simple and fun, and have a top prize and some little prizes.

The last tournament I held was probably more complicated than necessary, but it kept everyone interested (most of whom were just casual / rare players) and they all had a blast. Here was the format I used:

-- 16 people
    -- 6 operational pins
    -- First: 'Mini-tournaments' on each individual pin
    ---- Players randomly broken into two groups of 8
    ---- All players play 2 games. (For reasons Bugsy described -- sometimes you just have a crap game, or need a chance to figure it out.)
    ---- Players with the top 2 scores in each group advance to a semifinal match
    ---- Semifinal winners play one more game to determine individual pin champion
    -- Overall Finals: After all 6 pins' champions are established, each champion then plays one more game on each of the six pins
    ---- Champion who wins the most games out of the six is the overall tournament winner!
    -- Tournament winner receives a trophy and a few scratch-off lotto tickets.
    -- High score on each machine gets a scratch-off lotto ticket.
    -- Low score on each machine gets a scratch-off lotto ticket.
    -- Fun is had by all!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-run-a-casual-pinball-tournament and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.