(Topic ID: 17165)

How to make a game room in S. California?

By DanteBK

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Rarehero
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Hey all,

I've very recently gotten way into pinball after a lifetime of casual interest. Because I live in a modestly sized condo in the San Fernando Valley, I don't have space to own my own table (though I do have a MAME cab in my living room), and am limited to on-location play and virtual pinball for now. If the market ever recovers enough for me to do so, I want to eventually get a house with space for a few machines, but I'm a little concerned about whether that's even possible to do in LA County on a (barely) middle-class income. Houses here are smaller than many places, and we don't have basements.

So my question is: can you do it? Has anyone else here done it? And if so, how? Maybe a spare bedroom, but they are often pretty small.

#2 11 years ago

Move out of California. I housing prices out there shock me for sure. In Pittsburgh $200,000 can get you 2,500 - 3,000 SQFT.

#3 11 years ago

There is always the garage or Living room/dining room. Then again you can store them at my house

#4 11 years ago

Norcal real estate prices are the same, if not worse (higher). I agree with msf, I see a lot of my pinhead friends use their 2 car garages to house a dozen or more machines - so look for a BIG garage when you go house hunting. I was lucky to buy a house with 5 bedrooms, so I'm able to have pins in two of the bedrooms.

#5 11 years ago

Hobby costs money, both for the games and for the required space. it just does.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from exflexer:

Move out of California. I housing prices out there shock me for sure. In Pittsburgh $200,000 can get you 2,500 - 3,000 SQFT.

Love San Diego but in 10 more years I will be out of here - You will find me in Florida playing pins/pool in my nice gameroom on the weekends or out fishing during weekdays in my nice boat...

Too expensive to retire in CA......

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from marksf123:

exflexer said:Move out of California. I housing prices out there shock me for sure. In Pittsburgh $200,000 can get you 2,500 - 3,000 SQFT.
    Love San Diego but in 10 more years I will be out of here - You will find me in Florida playing pins/pool in my nice gameroom on the weekends or out fishing during weekdays in my nice boat...

Florida = humidity.

Screw humidity!

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

marksf123 said:exflexer said:Move out of California. I housing prices out there shock me for sure. In Pittsburgh $200,000 can get you 2,500 - 3,000 SQFT.
    Florida = humidity.
    Screw humidity!

+ 1000

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from exflexer:

I hear you, and we've talked about it, but I grew up in LA and I love it here. Maybe one day we will move, but if we can make it work here, that's what I'd prefer.

Quoted from marksf123:

There is always the garage or Living room/dining room. Then again you can store them at my house

Tempting, but San Diego is a LITTLE far for a commute (though I am down there to see family 4 times a year).

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Florida = humidity.

Screw humidity!

Yes but no big deal - I grew up there. Like I said I love San Diego but my money will go so much farther in retirement in South Florida. Plus I think boating/fishing is better in Florida and I love to be out on a boat when everyone else is working

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from chriskd:

Norcal real estate prices are the same, if not worse (higher). I agree with msf, I see a lot of my pinhead friends use their 2 car garages to house a dozen or more machines - so look for a BIG garage when you go house hunting. I was lucky to buy a house with 5 bedrooms, so I'm able to have pins in two of the bedrooms.

I am jealous! Yeah maybe a garage. I worry about security of keeping anything of value in a garage, but I've never been a homeowner, and maybe I am ignorant and worrying about nothing.

Quoted from RobT:

Florida = humidity.
    Screw humidity!

Yeah, that would be rough! I just got back from Belize -- 100% humidity -- our clothes would never dry after swimming.

#12 11 years ago

Wouldn't you want to make the move BEFORE housing recovers near you? We did that here and rent out our old place. I'll sell that when prices recover, but I went from having room for 1 in the office, to being able to fit 4 and a pool table in the game room. Just got my second pin that I'm restoring in the 3rd garage bay, but the pool table has been a welcome and heavily used addition.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

Wouldn't you want to make the move BEFORE housing recovers near you? We did that here and rent out our old place. I'll sell that when prices recover, but I went from having room for 1 in the office, to being able to fit 4 and a pool table in the game room. Just got my second pin that I'm restoring in the 3rd garage bay, but the pool table has been a welcome and heavily used addition.

I hear you, and we've talked about it, but the idea of being landlords stresses us out. Also, I don't think we could get in rent close to what we're paying in mortgage + HOA fees.

#14 11 years ago

I assume socal is a bit like the bay area in terms of housing. Housing prices are out of control here and even if the housing market crashes a second time they still won't be priced at what they are worth. I would suggest looking to rent a house or duplex. I am in a 3br duplex with yard and garage for $1800 (for those outside CA that's pretty low priced). If you stretch and buy something you will end up having to pay for fixing things like roof, water heater, whatever breaks which means less money for pinball and even though you have space for some you won't be able to buy any to put there. Also when CA had a housing boom where they built a lot of houses they didn't install grounds. Expect the middle pin on your outlets to go nowhere...

#15 11 years ago

I'm in SoCal and my two car garage is my game room. I've got room for a big ball bowler, 7 pins, a mini-pin running hyperpin and a few arcade machines. You can definitely do it out here, you just need to park outside.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from DanteBK:

I grew up in LA and I love it here

I grew up in Long Beach, my Grandparents lived in Canoga Park on a street called "Lanark St." When my parents divorced we moved to my GP's house there in Canoga Park. I went to 8th grade at Columbus Jr. high and Canoga Park H.S. for 9th grade. Now my Dad sold our house in Long Beach for $700K we move here in Arizona and he had a custom built home for $350k, 3500 sq.ft. 6 bedrooms etc. I currently bought a 3 bedroom home in a real nice area surrounded by mountains for 150k 2000 sq. ft. home with a very nice swimming pool. Bottom line, you can live like a King in Arizona. Lots of Californians out here too. With the money left over you could buy lots of pins

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from wonderpuddle:

I'm in SoCal and my two car garage is my game room. I've got room for a big ball bowler, 7 pins, a mini-pin running hyperpin and a few arcade machines. You can definitely do it out here, you just need to park outside.

Wow, that sounds great! I am jealous. You've got a nice collection, too. I love the Pinball Magic backglass, I use it as my desktop wallpaper at work, but have never even see one in real life. On the other hand, as much as my GF also enjoys pinball, I don't think she would consider parking on the street a solution. Maybe we could get a two-car garage, and use half of it for pins. We are currently a one-car family.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

I grew up in Long Beach, my Grandparents lived in Canoga Park on a street called "Lanark St." When my parents divorced we moved to my GP's house there in Canoga Park. I went to 8th grade at Columbus Jr. high and Canoga Park H.S. for 9th grade. Now my Dad sold our house in Long Beach for $700K we move here in Arizona and he had a custom built home for $350k, 3500 sq.ft. 6 bedrooms etc. I currently bought a 3 bedroom home in a real nice area surrounded by mountains for 150k 2000 sq. ft. home with a very nice swimming pool. Bottom line, you can live like a King in Arizona. Lots of Californians out here too. With the money left over you could buy lots of pins

I love your plan in theory, but in practice I am so deep underwater I could laugh/cry/laugh again. But hey, we can make the payments, so life ain't so bad.

#19 11 years ago

I still live with my parents, but I plan to move out soon hopefully. My TSPP is currently in the garage.

#20 11 years ago

Although I dont mind visiting AZ, it is too hot, and FL is too hot and humid.

I'm in LA, and for years I had pins in a couple bedrooms of the house with some in storage that I would rotate in occasionally. Then they spilled into my 2 car detached garage and got really out of hand, so 3 years ago I demo'd the garage and built a larger 900 sq ft gameroom building in its place (basically a 5 car garage). It is heated and cooled, has arcade carpet, seperate bathroom, a 140A sub panel, recessed dimmer lighting, and wall switch controlled outlets. See pics under my profile. It wasnt cheap of course, but we also demo'd and rebuilt the house at the same time so the gameroom build was a bonus.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from DanteBK:

On the other hand, as much as my GF also enjoys pinball, I don't think she would consider parking on the street a solution.

If she's a fan, ask her how she would feel about having pins in the dining room. It's usually the most wasted room in the house. I have a bunch in mine. (townhouse in norcal, no garage)

Also, when moving, check door sizes. Some newer places are getting skinnier and shorter doors and narrow stairways. Removing the head every time you want to move a game in or out of a room can be a pain. You may have to remove railings to get a game up or down stairs. If the stairs have tight turns, it may be virtually impossible to move a game up or down. Rent a crane instead and use an upstairs window. d

#22 11 years ago

Spare bedroom for now... I can squeeze up to 7 pins on opposing walls but my master plan is converting the outdoor patio to a "proper" arcade.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from PNBLWZD:

Although I dont mind visiting AZ, it is too hot, and FL is too hot and humid.
    I'm in LA, and for years I had pins in a couple bedrooms of the house with some in storage that I would rotate in occasionally. Then they spilled into my 2 car detached garage and got really out of hand, so 3 years ago I demo'd the garage and built a larger 900 sq ft gameroom building in its place (basically a 5 car garage). It is heated and cooled, has arcade carpet, seperate bathroom, a 140A sub panel, recessed dimmer lighting, and wall switch controlled outlets. See pics under my profile. It wasnt cheap of course, but we also demo'd and rebuilt the house at the same time so the gameroom build was a bonus.

Whoa!! That's incredible!!

Do you have any interest in adopting a 30-year-old man?

#24 11 years ago

The Adult Adoption Agency.

pinball players hope for AAA

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from DanteBK:

Hey all,
    I've very recently gotten way into pinball after a lifetime of casual interest. Because I live in a modestly sized condo in the San Fernando Valley, I don't have space to own my own table (though I do have a MAME cab in my living room), and am limited to on-location play and virtual pinball for now. If the market ever recovers enough for me to do so, I want to eventually get a house with space for a few machines, but I'm a little concerned about whether that's even possible to do in LA County on a (barely) middle-class income. Houses here are smaller than many places, and we don't have basements.
    So my question is: can you do it? Has anyone else here done it? And if so, how? Maybe a spare bedroom, but they are often pretty small.

I built a new living room for the wife and added on to the original living room for pins.
    I live in the mountains and the garage I built is at street level, I converted it to a gameroom and shop with two bays for pin restoration.
    I play the games up there for awhile and if they are keepers they get to take the ceremonial trip down the stairs into the gameroom, so far 7 have made the trip and there is room for two more.
    There is a 1,200 sq ft cabin next door, the lady uses it for weekend rentals and the tenants are usually a pain in the ass.
    It just went on the market after her last weekend renters trashed the place and needs a remodel.
    I am thinking about buying it and gutting the place and turning it into a toybox for pins.
    RE has tanked up here, cheaper to buy now than to build.
    There is enough room to add the Steve R. and Pat L. Wings.

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

If she's a fan, ask her how she would feel about having pins in the dining room. It's usually the most wasted room in the house. I have a bunch in mine. (townhouse in norcal, no garage)

OK, I asked her. She said she'd rather incorporate a few pins into an open floor plan than hide them in a special game room. Hmm... I guess it's all a pipe dream until we can actually go house shopping.

Quoted from tracelifter:

I built a new living room for the wife and added on to the original living room for pins.
    I live in the mountains and the garage I built is at street level, I converted it to a gameroom and shop with two bays for pin restoration.
    I play the games up there for awhile and if they are keepers they get to take the ceremonial trip down the stairs into the gameroom, so far 7 have made the trip and there is room for two more.
    There is a 1,200 sq ft cabin next door, the lady uses it for weekend rentals and the tenants are usually a pain in the ass.
    It just went on the market after her last weekend renters trashed the place and needs a remodel.
    I am thinking about buying it and gutting the place and turning it into a toybox for pins.
    RE has tanked up here, cheaper to buy now than to build.
    There is enough room to add the Steve R. and Pat L. Wings.

Sounds awesome. If it's what your passionate about, and you can afford it, then go for it.

#27 11 years ago

My house has a sunroom that became my main gameroom area...and then there's a den right off of that room that I put more pins in....and a few in my office...lol. The rest are in the garage. If you've got the whole wife and kids thing going on - the garage is likely going to be your gameroom.

I used to live near Canoga Park (Winnetka) in a pretty small house..but again, it had this long strip of a sunroom that was just perfect for arcade games and pinballs.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-make-a-game-room-in-s-california and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.