How many Iron Man editions are there?

By mccoy2797

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Just curious. I don't know if there are Iron Man Pro's, LE's, Premiums, or whatever else I may be forgetting. Thank you!

Also, if there are different editions, what are the differences between them?

Thank you!

#2 11 years ago

There is the standard edition pro model produced before LEs and premiums existed. There is also a classic model that was sold in Costco stores and other outlets

#3 11 years ago

Two.....pro and the budget Costco home edition

#4 11 years ago

Cool, thanks!

#5 11 years ago

Avoid the Costco version. It doesn't have the magnets of the War Machine kickback, so it's pretty lame.

#6 11 years ago

Two additions -pro with approx. 1100 made
Costco classic-couple hundred made

#7 11 years ago

Thank you!

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Ironically enough, when I was calling around to distributors last month, even though only a couple hundred were made, I found several floor models of the home version still available for sale.

#9 11 years ago

I doubt it. Maybe there were a couple of DOZEN classics made.
They were only sold at one or two costcos.

Quoted from pinmister:

Two additions -pro with approx. 1100 madeCostco classic-couple hundred made

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from TheBaron:

Ironically enough, when I was calling around to distributors last month, even though only a couple hundred were made, I found several floor models of the home version still available for sale.

What price are people selling the classics at? Have they gone up like the Pro has?

#11 11 years ago

The classic is probably your LE by default.

#12 11 years ago

Classic was panned when it came out due to missing features, missing coin door and if I recall a weird display that didn't have the proper brighteness levels. Avoid the classic and get the standard (PRO) model if you want an Ironman.

Quoted from Max_Badazz:

What price are people selling the classics at? Have they gone up like the Pro has?

#13 11 years ago

For open box floor models, dealers are asking between $4800-5200 for the classic.

#14 11 years ago

Surely you mean the PRO not classic (non-commercial costco only model) for this price, which is very high IMHO even for the PRO.

Quoted from TheBaron:

For open box floor models, dealers are asking between $4800-5200 for the classic.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

There is the standard edition pro model produced before LEs and premiums existed. There is also a classic model that was sold in Costco stores and other outlets

There was never a LE or Premium of Iron Man.

#16 11 years ago

being a owner and fan of a modded Pro I have been keeping info and compiling, so what is believed is

Iron Man Models released by Stern are:
Iron Man - Pro - estimated at 1100
Iron Man - Classic - estimated at 50

Notes: Ironman Classic
 (like the home / costco version)
- New redesigned MDF cabinet screwed together Ikea style.

- No magnets

- No kickback

- All LED inserts

- Stronger slings to compensate for lack of magnet/kickback

- Easier rules

- Always on Freeplay and no coin mech.

and not confirmed but believed that you could not hook up backbox lighting effect kits nor the shaker

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Surely you mean the PRO not classic (non-commercial costco only model) for this price, which is very high IMHO even for the PRO.

No, that was what dealers are asking for the Classic model now. Maybe they figure since they are rare, they are collectible (even though this obviously isn't the case). Seems to be the SOP for distributors to hike up prices on a game once it's no longer being manufactured.

I spent an afternoon emailing and calling every distributor listed on Stern's distributor page to see if anybody had any old NIB IMs in stock. I knew it was a total long shot, but I figured it was worth trying. I heard back from 5 distributors who had them - all Classics, all open box floor models, and all were above $4800. One was actually $5250, but the seller was telling me the only difference was that it didn't have a coin door. Not sure if they knew about all the other differences.

#18 11 years ago

I forgot that I had also found a dealer who had a Classic in stock but did not provide me a price. Maybe theirs is under $4800. If someone is looking for a classic home edition, check with the Billiard Factory in Houston, TX.

#19 11 years ago

i heard that there were a total of 200 classics made as a trial run for selling pins via costco. i think the rules for the two machines are identical. The magnets are missing as well as the kicker for war machine. Definitely cheaper cabinet and no coindoor or software for coins/credits, strictly freeplay.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

That would be 2 *editions*. An "addition" is something added. Not the same.

4 years later
#21 6 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Classic was panned when it came out due to missing features, missing coin door and if I recall a weird display that didn't have the proper brighteness levels. Avoid the classic and get the standard (PRO) model if you want an Ironman.

Since Ironman Classic uses a conventional SAM system boardset, I'm sure a coin door wiring harness could be made. Then you could install a conventional coin door and also install the PRO software. Presto.....coin operation.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Since Ironman Classic uses a conventional SAM system boardset, I'm sure a coin door wiring harness could be made. Then you could install a conventional coin door and also install the PRO software. Presto.....coin operation.

The SAM PCB assemblies in the Classic model have a lot of components omitted. It'd probably be some serious work to get them populated to match the standard PCB assembly.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Not bloody likely. Pretty sure these versions are both standalones.

#24 6 years ago

Why no mention of the VE?

It had subtle differences from the original release.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

Why no mention of the VE?
It had subtle differences from the original release.

Probably because the vast majority of this thread is 4 yrs old and there was no Vault Edition until 2014.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from robotronjohn:

Probably because the vast majority of this thread is 4 yrs old and there was no Vault Edition until 2014.

Good point !

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-iron-man-editions-are-there and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.