(Topic ID: 167040)

How does your pinball history break down?

By bobnatlanta

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Betelgeuse
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7765902-five-stages-of-grief-denial-anger-bargaining-depresion-acceptance-concept-napkin-sketch-Stock-Photo (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

A fellow pinsider pointed out a flaw in my recollection of how many classic Sterns I've owned. That got me thinking about how my pin history broke down by manufacturer. I've owned, at one time or another, 45 pins (including duplicate titles) over the last 15 or so years. Without considering who owned who at any particular time, it breaks down like this:
    Stern 6 (1 duplicate)
    Bally 12 (1 duplicate)
    Gottlieb 10
    Williams 13
    Allied Leisure 1
    CCM 1
    Fascination 1
    Petaco 1
    It's fascinating to me that I used to stare at the lone game in my collection, when the whole ownership experience was so new that it almost seemed unreal. I had wanted a pin for so long, and at that point, having one was the fulfillment of a dream. Now I've had enough games to have forgotten one, and my meager collection pales in comparison to most. Wow.

#2 7 years ago

Why don't you get a newer pin,some of them really rock! You and O-Din,stuck in em land excluding your TAF,of course!!

#3 7 years ago

Sure, I'd love to have a TWD, LOTR, AFM, TOM, all of the Star Trek titles, a PM, the list goes on and on. And one of these days, I'm going to have the luxury of being able to drop $5-8K on a toy. In the meantime, happy to buy junkers/projects and bring them back to life, especially the ones that originally got me hooked.

#4 7 years ago

My history is really off the wall and hard to remember all of. First machine was a lethal weapon 3 that I kept for maybe four months. I worked for about two years at an amusement repair place and would leave my games on our for sale list. Because we were always pickin up craigslist finds or games from other collectors, it worked out for me and I would often do things like buy a cyclone, sell it within a week or two and buy whatever was new and comin in. I had a xenon for three days once. When I stopped working there I owned a flying carpet and wizard! I have literally never had the space or money for a pinball machine so it amazes me that I spent about three or four years with no space in my room and no money in my pocket (but hey, I got two machines at home) I have since gotten rid of both of them and this last month or so has been a real double edged sword. On the one side, I've got money and a room for the first time in years, on the other side, there is a tremendous hole in my soul without being able to say "I own a pinball machine"

#5 7 years ago

I hope this thread takes off. Will post later.

#6 7 years ago

7765902-five-stages-of-grief-denial-anger-bargaining-depresion-acceptance-concept-napkin-sketch-Stock-Photo (resized).jpg7765902-five-stages-of-grief-denial-anger-bargaining-depresion-acceptance-concept-napkin-sketch-Stock-Photo (resized).jpg

#7 7 years ago

I have/had a few from several manufacturers from EMs to early SS to DMD. Haven't gotten into any of the boutique or JJP games yet. The list so far:

Game Plan
    Williams
    Bally
    WMS
    Data East
    Sega
    Zaccaria
    Chicago Coin
    Gottlieb
    Stern Electronics
    Stern Pinball
    Spinball

#8 7 years ago

In less than 2 years I've bought seven games (plus a parts game). That's pretty crazy in my mind.

2 games were less than $100.
    3 games between $500-800.
    2 games over $1000.

I also don't have any duplicates from any company. One each from Stern, Bally Midway, Williams, CGC, Gottlieb, Data East (whoops forgot about the EM Williams I haven't brought home yet).

2 DMDs
    2 Alphanumeric
    2 EMs
    1 Numeric SS

It's hard to decide what game I would like next. I would like to buy a NIB eventually. I like Heighway's FT and Alien. I like Spooky's Domino's. I also like Stern's TWD. So many to choose from.

#9 7 years ago

started with one
    20+ yrs later 300+ pins
    about 2/3rd EMs
    and 1/3rd early solid state (Pre1985).
    Now the majority at PPM in Alameda CA.

#10 7 years ago

1 JJP
    4 Stern
    3 B/W
    2 Gottlieb

Which breaks down as:

1 LCD (of course)
    6 DMD
    1 Alphanumeric
    1 Numeric SS
    1 EM

#11 7 years ago

4 Gottlieb EM
    2 Bally SS
    2 Bally EM
    1 Williams EM
    1 Chicago coin EM

I am starting to lean towards Mid 70's to mid 80's Bally as my focus. It's what I was weaned on.

#12 7 years ago

I started out with mostly newer DMD games from B/W, Stern, Capcom, Gottlieb, Sega, and Data East. Those are all gone now.

Now it's

20 Williams from the 40s, 50s, and 60s
    7 Gottliebs from that same era
    2 System 11 Williams from the 80s

#13 7 years ago

I'm thinking to balance things out an early SS Bally and getting Ripleys back will help. It's easy to go from one extreme to another. I like to get games I never played or can't play anywhere else.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from bobnatlanta:

got me thinking about how my pin history broke down by manufacturer. I've owned, at one time or another, 45 pins (including duplicate titles) over the last 15 or so years. Without considering who owned who at any particular time, it breaks down like this:
    It's fascinating to me that I used to stare at the lone game in my collection, when the whole ownership experience was so new that it almost seemed unreal. I had wanted a pin for so long, and at that point, having one was the fulfillment of a dream. Now I've had enough games to have forgotten one, and my meager collection pales in comparison to most. Wow.

HMMM??? Tryin' to make me think on this beautiful Friday morning huh??
    Let's see...
    Hubby and I met playin' pinball in 1984. Then missed the entire 90's raising our kids and with life in general...In 2001 when we bought our house and had room for our pool table (which is now in storage along with our living room and dining room furniture) and to actually have room for a family/play/game room, we decided to get a pin (I can relate to your 1 lone pin scenario, we thought that our Space Shuttle looked lonely and needed a companion...) We figured out that you could actually buy a full size pin like the ones we played while dating and have it in our house. That turned into 2, then 3 then 4...etc. you all know how this hobby/addiction works. So in our pin history, I will try to state it but I might not remember them all!
    We have had...at some point and time
    all the Williams system 6 pins, (several duplicates) all the Williams system 7s (many duplicates as I would restore them I would find another, and restore it as well still have several duplicates awaiting restores that I haven't gotten to yet) all the Williams system 9s (also had multiple duplicates at 1 time I have somewhere a pic of me in my shop with 3 or 4 Comet pins in the process of restoring them), have had 11 Williams system 11s, (couple duplicates) Have 4 WPC (Bally/ Williams) DMDs...also have 4 newer Sterns ('07 to '13), 1 early Stern SS, 3 early Bally SS, 1 Zac. (1 multiple), 3 Williams EMs (1 from the 60's and 2 from the 70's), 2 Gott. EMs (both 70's).
    Of those we still have 50+ (A few multiples that I have to weed out here at some point. I started to work on that back in June, had a pinball party/tourney/ yard sale of project games and got rid of 2 of the early SS Bally and a system 7.)
    I feel that our collection is pretty well rounded and while we aren't really looking for anything else ATM...I won't say we're done adding to it, cause we all know that is just...well not true!! I quit doing restores for others back in 2012, and now just do stuff for my own games. There are a few that we would like to have at some point and time, but we have passed through the stage of must have them "ALL" now!! and are at the if 1 pops up we will get it...
    I think that's all...I know I will remember something else after I hit post...

Phoebe

#15 7 years ago

1 JJP
    2 Spooky
    2 Stern Pinball
    1 Stern Electronics
    4 Williams (1 repeat)
    3 Gottlieb
    1 Bally

I think I got them all.

That breaks down to...
    1 LCD
    5 DMD
    3 Alphanumeric (1 repeat)
    2 ESS
    3 EM

#16 7 years ago

It is good to have a mix -

8 Bally/Williams
    7 Stern
    1 JJP
    1 Spooky
    ----------------
    1 Heighway (in near future)
    1 DutchPinball (wishful thinking)

#17 7 years ago

Started collecting back in the early 80s with an EM and a few SS

Started collecting again in 2000s
    Went from DMDs, to A list DMDs, to NIB Sterns, back to DMDs , and now back to early 80s Ballys

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

1 JJP
    2 Spooky
    2 Stern Pinball
    1 Stern Electronics
    4 Williams (1 repeat)
    3 Gottlieb
    1 Bally
    I think I got them all.
    That breaks down to...
    1 LCD
    5 DMD
    3 Alphanumeric (1 repeat)
    2 ESS
    3 EM

Aren't Spooky games LCD? Maybe just RZ.

#19 7 years ago

3 Gottleb
    2 Williams
    1 DE
    1 Stern

3 score reels
    4 DMDs

My current collection features:
    8 flippers
    8 pop bumpers
    3 ramps
    6 slingshots
    24 standup targets
    0 spinners
    0 drop targets

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

Aren't Spooky games LCD? Maybe just RZ.

Rob Zombie is an LCD, but it's presented and animated as if it's a DMD, so I count it as such.

#21 7 years ago

Total Collection

Bally/ Williams- 30 current- 4
    Stern- 8 current- 1
    Data East- 6
    Sega- 6
    Gottlieb-3
    JJP-1
    Sonic- 1 current -1
    Total 55 games and most were/ are fun as all get out.

#22 7 years ago

Started on Sept '13 with TZ.....then lost the plot! Lol
    1- TZ Bally DMD
    2.- Met Prem Stern DMD
    3 - road Kings Williams Alpha-numeric (gave to Sis.)
    4 - Wipeout Gottalieb DMD
    5 - TSPP Stern DMD (sold)
    6 - DrWho Bally DMD
    7 - Pinball Magic Capcom DMD
    8 - BSD Williams DMD
    9 - Woz JJP LCD
    10 - AMH Spooky DMD
    11 - RZ Spooky DMD ( on order )
    12 - TAG Homepin DMD (on order)

5 DMD's in 90's, will be 4 DMD's and 1 LCD from '10s

#23 7 years ago

12 B/W
    5 Gottlieb
    2 Bally
    2 Spooky
    2 Stern
    2 Data East
    1 Alvin G
    1 Sega

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-does-your-pinball-history-break-down and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.