(Topic ID: 347751)

How do you move your pins?

By Jasenwm

4 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D963B572-A8FD-44BA-8F00-D29092E9FF92 (resized).jpeg
    Penguin dolly (resized).jpg
    IMG_9129 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9130 (resized).jpeg
    20230403_164450 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 months ago

How do you guys move your pins? I have one of those Harbor freight lifts it works but the issue is the handle is upright so it doesn't go all the way under the pin. I have seen the mod people do to make the handle flat so it can fit. I also have pinskates. They work OK I'm kinna nevervous with them tho, I always feel like they're going to fail and drop the pin. What do you think is the best way to move pins?

#2 4 months ago

Like a turtle, haven’t hurt my back yet.

#3 4 months ago

I have carpets so carpet sliders 100%.

If you csn get to the back thr harbor freight world great unmodded; but you gotta get be able tonget back there

Cement basement I just drag them

Stairs: simple applience dolly

#4 4 months ago
    Quoted from Jasenwm:

How do you guys move your pins? I have one of those Harbor freight lifts it works but the issue is the handle is upright so it doesn't go all the way under the pin. I have seen the mod people do to make the handle flat so it can fit. I also have pinskates. They work OK I'm kinna nevervous with them tho, I always feel like they're going to fail and drop the pin. What do you think is the best way to move pins?

Look on Youtube for numerous ways ppl have modded the handle on the HF lift. Yes the HF lift is what i use....modded of course

#5 4 months ago

I use the 1000lb Harbor Freight Lift, much more stable than the 500lb. Never feels like it might tip and the handle isn’t in the way.

I also use this for steps and stairs: https://a.co/d/2d93oez

#6 4 months ago
    Quoted from ThatGuyBo:

I use the 1000lb Harbor Freight Lift, much more stable than the 500lb. Never feels like it might tip and the handle isn’t in the way.
    I also use this for steps and stairs: https://a.co/d/2d93oez

I haven't seen that one, I'm going to have to check it out

#7 4 months ago

Carpet sliders for moving into position etc
    Pinjack to calibrate pitch
    Pin crawler to get up the stairs
    Escalara with pinball plate and big wheel for more moving power
    Escalara tilt table for setup and break down
    And a stool to sit on to wonder what happened to all my cash

#8 4 months ago

we slide pins up and down carpeted stairs. up using these….
    anyone have link to the HF mod you speak of?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-machine-moving-life-hack

#9 4 months ago

use the power of my mind !

call the buddies over and offer free beer !

#10 4 months ago

I use a penguin pinball dolly but they don't make them anymore. You could try this:

https://www.twistedquarter.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=82_246&products_id=1315&zenid=k1rbp43p7ek8rnpcuhhv6j4jg7

I don't know anything about modifying a HF cart, but always here about 'handle in the way' or 'wheels to small for carpet' etc ..

Throw the $400 at it... Cost of business . You'll have the thing forever. I'd rather be working on my pins or playing them rather than screwing around with some HF cart and not really liking it when done.

#11 4 months ago

Enlist the aid of a friend or two.

LTG : )

#12 4 months ago

I just wait for a flood and then float them to a good spot...

20230403_164450 (resized).jpg20230403_164450 (resized).jpg
    #13 4 months ago

Pin Skates. They hook on the feet at the bottom of the legs and then your pin is on wheels.

#14 4 months ago
    Quoted from Jasenwm:

I did a very inelegant mod to my harbor freight lift table and used a hacksaw to cut off the bottoms of the handle poles so it’s shorter and fits under games. Not great for reaching like some people who have done a better job. But works ok.

I just ordered a Pincrawler and I never thought I’d be so excited to get a fancy dolly. This hobby takes me strange places.

#15 4 months ago

What the review on that pincrawler? Just as good as an escalera for stairs?

#16 4 months ago
    Quoted from Jasenwm:

I have one of those Harbor freight lifts it works but the issue is the handle is upright so it doesn't go all the way under the pin. I have seen the mod people do to make the handle flat so it can fit.

The big thread on various handle mods: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modified-harbor-freight-lift-table/

Quoted from ThatGuyBo:

I use the 1000lb Harbor Freight Lift, much more stable than the 500lb.

It's also heavier. 160lbs vs just under 100lbs. Something to keep in mind if you're thinking about lifting/moving it somewhere, rather than wheeling it.

#17 4 months ago
    Quoted from Jasenwm:

I did this
    Parts:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07875R6WX
    Video on how:

Mine:
    IMG_9129 (resized).jpegIMG_9129 (resized).jpegIMG_9130 (resized).jpegIMG_9130 (resized).jpeg

#18 4 months ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

What the review on that pincrawler? Just as good as an escalera for stairs?

I’ve heard good things from someone who has one. It’s cheaper than escalera ($1425) and more stable on stairs since it uses long treads and always has good contact with several steps. It kind of turns the pin into a tank with treads that climbs stairs. Seems more stable and less prone to mishaps. Also has 4 caster wheels when standing upright so you can push the pin down the driveway or whatnot. I needed something safe an easy to handle. Here’s a demo.

#19 4 months ago
    Quoted from Jasenwm:

I can't recall who it was but some guy I sold a pin to years ago said "Here I can fix your Harbor Freight handle so it bends". I said ok. He literally just bent the handle a bit, done lol. Works great to this day.

#20 4 months ago

For inside a room, I do the turtle thing which works very well and have yet
    to strain my back or legs. I've also got furnature (sp?) movers which are metal cups
    with 4 castors on each.

For moving pins on level ground like cement or asphalt, I use something
    many laugh at; a skate board. These work good at shows. The nice
    thing about them is they tale up little space, can be steered a bit
    and can handle a lot of weight. Since most of my pins are older where
    the back boxes can be removed, this works well. Might not works
    as well with BB's that cannot be removed easily.

#21 4 months ago

I am a long term collector. No assisting strong backs avaiable so all diy moves. So have to reinforce comments often mentioned pins get heavier with time....
    2 modified harbor freight carts. Cart1 rolls pinball to door threshold. Slide from 1st cart to second cart outside door threshold cart2 on pvc lattice (low coefficient drag and minimal cabinet stress).
    Full size pvc privacy lattice in truck bed great help picking up a game as well.
    Double walk out basement doors allows access for forklift (have for farm work not solely pinball purchase) pad cabinet if useing forklift.
    Wheels are great things. Cut 36x32x3/4 inch plywood piece. Screw plywood to harbor freight ( lowes whoever) furniture movers. Pinball cargo strapped to mover/plywood foldedhead down off legs. Allows great access and movement (something always in the way type thing).
    I have couple threshold small ramps but need pics to make sence so for later reply.

Key points push game with legs directly on concrete and your base cabinet joints will suffer '( Vids guide to cabinet repair ).

Lift/carry game and your joints may suffer!

Enjoy the day Shane

#22 4 months ago

I move my Stranger Things pin with telekinesis and my Star Wars pin using the force. You're welcome.

#23 4 months ago

I’m away from home, but I’ve used a homemade wooden dolly called pin-X Dolly or something. It’s worked 30 years without fail. I still have the plans at home and will try to post next weekend. Basically a scissor lift table forced up with a bottle jack. The only mod I made was to install a bit bigger and nicer casters. It also can be pulled up and become a standing work bench.
    My pin collector friends find it rather medieval in appearance, but are impressed with its functionality and low low cost.

Ha! Found the plans online here:

http://gamearchive.askey.org/Pinball/pindolly.pdf

Looks way better in person.

D963B572-A8FD-44BA-8F00-D29092E9FF92 (resized).jpegD963B572-A8FD-44BA-8F00-D29092E9FF92 (resized).jpeg
    #24 4 months ago

Carpet sliders (a must) under all game legs for limited maintenance/in-room movement.

Penguin dolly for more involved moving or just lifting.

Penguin dolly (resized).jpgPenguin dolly (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-move-your-pins- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.