(Topic ID: 205407)

Hobbit pop-up "hit" switch not registering

By VolunteerPin

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere but I have been unable to find it on Pinside.

I recently started routing a Hobbit and ended up recently with two errors on the Orc. First one was that I had was a wire binding up and physically keeping the Orc from popping up. That was a pretty easy fix once I lifted the playfield and inspected. The next is that the Orc hit-switch still will not register. The switch is not stuck closed and all the connections on the switch and diode look fine in appearance. As I had to get back to my day job, I simply disabled the Orc for now so the game will still be playable.

Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Darin

#2 6 years ago

check and see if the wires are sheared off that go to the switch. every now and then i have seen a wire get caught in the mech and it just cuts it off.

#3 6 years ago

yep. cut wire. didn't see it at first. doesn't look like there is enough slack to fix without removing the entire mech. Is there a video or photo instructions on how to do that?

On a related note, somehow when I was putting the playfield back down I think it ended up somehow disconnecting the switch from the start button. The LED in there was fairly loose and was not lighting up but for the life of me I couldn't get the switch reconnected back. I felt like an idiot on that but I have never had to mess with a start button before. Any help on that is appreciated as well.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Any help on that is appreciated as well.

Search Google for pinball start button assembly, images.

Lift up and remove two clips holding two springs holding trap door on. Below disconnect two connectors, remove 5 screws, off it comes.

LTG : )

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Lift up and remove two clips holding two springs holding trap door on. Below disconnect two connectors, remove 5 screws, off it comes.

Don't drop the clips when removing them with your small needle nose pliers! And reinstalling them is a bit trickier than removing them - you can use a small block of wood to help prop up the Orc mech to make it easier to reinstall the clips without trying to hold up the Orc mech at the same time.

A long shaft magnetic nut driver really helps in reaching the screws you need to remove when lowering the Orc mech from the playfield. Don't loosen any other screws on the Orc mech while you have it out as the alignment of the parts in that mech is critical to allow the Orc to raise and lower without binding.

#6 6 years ago

Thanks for the input. Probably will try this tomorrow. Any thoughts on how to make sure you don’t lose the clips?

I’m sure I can get this fixed but the funny thing I’m as perplexed about the stupid start button now as for the life of me I couldn’t figure out how to snap the switch back on the button.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

I couldn’t figure out how to snap the switch back on the button.

If it's the switch and bulb holder, it snaps back in real hard. Push like you mean it.

LTG : )

#8 6 years ago

Got 'em both fixed. Thanks! Start switch got a little out of whack and once righted it snapped right in.

Removed the mech pretty easily and repaired the wire. Up and running again.

And, btw, LTG you were right. Hobbit is doing very well on location. Thanks for the input before when I was considering doing this.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 25.50
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Hardware
Pinball Haven

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-pop-up-hit-switch-not-registering and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.