(Topic ID: 351251)

HerculEASE JJP Flipper Power/Consistency Kit

By altan

83 days ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4217 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4216 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4215 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4214 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4134 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2737 (resized).png
    IMG_0778 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0779 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1872 (resized).jpeg
    763468a7-252d-48ba-9a20-14629796200a_text (resized).png
    IMG_0209.gif
    IMG_1853.gif
    There are 238 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
    #51 74 days ago

I was picked to try this on my POTC. It is amazing. I am the original owner of my pirates and have done all my repairs. The most I have done when it comes to soldering is attaching a broken wire. The thought of desoldering/soldering a board pretty much intimidated me. I resigned to either spending $400 or pulling the board and shipping it off. I am so happy that I waited and bought this.

First off, the instructions are spot on. The pictures alone explain everything you need to do. The entire install took less than 10 min. It is as simple as attaching two wires to the board via screw that holds it, replacing two fuses and then securing the caps inside the Blackbox. Really that simple.

As far as performance, it is as great as everyone has said. The flippers are snappy and quick. I had to turn down all the coils, and playing with them now to find the sweet spot. Much easier chest shot, Bayou hole and ramps. Star Map really flings the ball and you can tell the magnet grabbing the balls is stronger.

The Must Have Mods for this game are the Chest mod and the spinning disc belt. Now there is one more and this is it. No matter how you change the caps, this is the easiest.

#52 74 days ago

What an amazing few weeks it's been for JJP titles that have been labouring against weak flipper issues for years. We covered this incredible advancement in the new episode of In Before the Lock, and mentioned this particular 'no solder' solution, which I think is a brilliant idea for people who might not have the ability or tools to hand to modify the boards themselves.

Hopefully we'll have some pictures to show soon!

#53 73 days ago

Davey - if you are part of this project development put me down for 3 units: Hobbit, GnR and Dialed In. Cheers

#54 73 days ago

For what it's worth, I'd expressed interest previously, but never indicated which game I have. It's a GNR SE.

#55 73 days ago

Interested. Wonka LE.

#56 73 days ago
    Quoted from Heater:

I was picked to try this on my POTC. It is amazing. ...

So many thanks for trying out the pre-production unit @heater. Very happy it's working well for you and was easy to install.

#57 73 days ago
    Quoted from stumblor:

What an amazing few weeks it's been for JJP titles that have been labouring against weak flipper issues for years. We covered this incredible advancement in the new episode of In Before the Lock, and mentioned this particular 'no solder' solution, which I think is a brilliant idea for people who might not have the ability or tools to hand to modify the boards themselves.
    Hopefully we'll have some pictures to show soon!

WOW! Not everyone gets a call out by @stumblor. Thanks for the kind words.

#58 73 days ago

Wanted to add a quick note about a few things.

1. I've added some pictures to the first post in this thread.
    2. I've also added a link to the installation manual
    3. Initial pricing is in the first post now
    4. I'll reach out to people that have expressed interest

Thanks everyone!

#59 73 days ago
    Quoted from Method_Own:

Davey - if you are part of this project development put me down for 3 units: Hobbit, GnR and Dialed In. Cheers

Ahh that's very kind of you thanks - but no, not involved in the development. It's a clever way to add the caps in parallel though - wish I'd thought of it!

#60 73 days ago
    Quoted from altan:

Wanted to add a quick note about a few things.
    1. I've added some pictures to the first post in this thread.
    2. I've also added a link to the installation manual
    3. Initial pricing is in the first post now
    4. I'll reach out to people that have expressed interest
    Thanks everyone!

Just saw the pictures! Everything just came to focus…… I knew it was going to be a mind blowing revelation, when I saw you were doing this mod. I can’t wait to get my hands on mine. Thanks for sharing this with everyone

#61 73 days ago

Those look fantastic. Great job! And a very attractive price for this upgrade. I'm sure many folks will take advantage.

#62 73 days ago

Please put me down for 2 sets.
    POTC
    Wonka

#63 73 days ago

JJP = weak flippers and flipper fade. (fade is a serious issue on my Hobbit)
    Per all the discussion on the new I/O board VS replacing two caps, just replacing caps is reported to increase flipper performance ~70%. However flipper fade still exists. So the recommendation is to install fans on the flippers. I would suspect adding capacitors inline in conjunction with the other capacitors isn't likely going to cure fade? (I don't understand specifically what is responsible for the fade)
    I really dislike a $400 price tag for an I/O board, but it's really no different than replacement board prices through the years.

#64 73 days ago

How easy will it be to swap a connected fuse if it blows? Any discounts for 3 sets purchased together? Shipping to Canada? Thanks.

#65 73 days ago
    Quoted from CLEllison:

Per all the discussion on the new I/O board VS replacing two caps, just replacing caps is reported to increase flipper performance ~70%. However flipper fade still exists. So the recommendation is to install fans on the flippers. I would suspect adding capacitors inline in conjunction with the other capacitors isn't likely going to cure fade? (I don't understand specifically what is responsible for the fade)
    I really dislike a $400 price tag for an I/O board, but it's really no different than replacement board prices through the years.

Is it known whether the upgraded $400 board fix the flipper fade as well?

#66 73 days ago
    Quoted from CLEllison:

The 70% is not a "podcast fact" isn't it? Like totally made up?

#67 73 days ago

Pls put me down for 3 sets.

Thx!

#68 73 days ago

Please include me for 1 set (POTC).

Nice work!

#69 73 days ago

count me in for 1. potc please

#70 73 days ago

does this also work with Woz? If so I'm in for that also

#71 73 days ago
    Quoted from Method_Own:

How easy will it be to swap a connected fuse if it blows? Any discounts for 3 sets purchased together? Shipping to Canada? Thanks.

Luckily I'm not aware of JJP fuses blowing with any frequency. If the fuse does blow, you can replace it with the original (and not benefit of the extra capacitance) while the root cause is resolved. And, of course, you can reach out to me and we'll work something out for a replacement.

#72 73 days ago

How many Canadians are here looking for the solution. Perhaps we ship to one place and then go from here.

#73 73 days ago
    Quoted from lemmings418:

How many Canadians are here looking for the solution. Perhaps we ship to one place and then go from here.

I would be in for Wonka LE

#74 73 days ago

I am in for a Guns N Roses CE

#75 73 days ago

Looking forward to getting this when you ship to Canada.

Couple of points you may want to add to the documentation.

(1) The game needs to be powered off. Should it be unplugged?
    (2) Do you need to wait a period of time to let the existing capacitors dissipate their energy?

Thanks.

#76 73 days ago
    Quoted from lemmings418:

Looking forward to getting this when you ship to Canada.
    Couple of points you may want to add to the documentation.
    (1) The game needs to be powered off. Should it be unplugged?
    (2) Do you need to wait a period of time to let the existing capacitors dissipate their energy?
    Thanks.

Appreciate the feedback. Document updated to say game should be powered off and unplugged from wall.

#77 73 days ago
    Quoted from briyau15:

Quoted from briyau15:

Oh I'd I have say that's very likely a seat of the pants guestimation at best. Like gauging a couple horsepower increase using your ass dyno.

#78 73 days ago

Interested in a set for a GNR. Thank you!

#79 73 days ago
    Quoted from briyau15:

There’s some discussion in the I/O board thread about this.
    - sounds like a “source” claimed 70%
    - electromechanically, an additional 30% doesn’t make much sense from changing the resistors to surface mount (the only other change on the new board)
    - even if true, 70% may still be enough to enjoy the much stronger flippers. Many are turning down power after upgrading.
    - even if true, you can probably add fans to get that anti fade benefit

#80 73 days ago

Looks great and so much easier than removing boards. doesn’t work on WoZ right?

#81 72 days ago

Invoice paid for Wonka. Looking forward to testing. I def notice flipper fade on very long games - over 20 million points or so. Will see what happens.

#82 72 days ago

Fighting some logistical roadblocks but shipping has started…

#83 72 days ago

I have a Woz ECLE if you need someone to beta test that. This mod sounds really interesting.

#84 72 days ago

Pm sent for invoice

#85 72 days ago

Please put me down for a GNR LE and let me know
    If you need anything else to lock me in for an order. Thanks

#86 71 days ago
    Quoted from Cam2000:

I have a Woz ECLE if you need someone to beta test that. This mod sounds really interesting.

I’ll send you a DM.

#87 71 days ago

I'm interested in this for Wonka SE and WOZ SE (if compatible, or if unknown, I'm willing to try it). Thanks

#88 70 days ago

All orders are shipped!

Parts for a 2nd batch are on the way.

Now I'm looking into optimizing the ordering process.

#89 70 days ago
    Quoted from altan:

All orders are shipped!
    Parts for a 2nd batch are on the way.
    Now I'm looking into optimizing the ordering process.

Awesome. Are Canadian customers an option for batch #2?

Thanks.

#90 70 days ago

def get me on this list. Prob buying 2 if woz doesn't work.

#91 70 days ago

Any updates on international postage ?

#92 70 days ago

I’m in the UK and will take a set for dialed in please.

#93 69 days ago

Just installed on potc. Made a big difference, put up GC on first game. Being able to backhand the maelstrom is nice. Install is a piece of cake. Well worth the 90 bucks

#94 69 days ago

Just installed on GnR. Huge difference!! Thanks Altan!!!

#95 69 days ago

Put me in for one for GnR LE please!

#96 69 days ago

I'm in if this will work with WoZ ECLE. Please let us know!

#97 69 days ago
    Quoted from jints56:

Just installed on GnR. Huge difference!! Thanks Altan!!!

Awesome to hear. I purchased this for my GNR and Wonka and super excited to try it out. Just have to get through my business travel first

#98 69 days ago

Received it today and had it installed 15 minutes later. Piece of cake install.

Will be playing Wonka today to try out.

#99 69 days ago

Where do you buy?

Didn’t think it was available yet but see others installing already.

#100 69 days ago

Just doubled my previous high score in my 3rd game after the upgrade.

There are 238 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/herculease-jjp-flipper-power-consistency-kit/page/2?hl=mrsiyufy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.