Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by GPS
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    #1 8 years ago

Hi Guys

Would you please take a look at the following picture of my SDB and advise if you see an issue with solder pad 23. This is third in from the right side. It appears to me pads 22,23 and 24 are all shorted together. I did confirm this with my dmm but maybe the dmm was seeing a return path I am not aware of. I just ordered the scheme today from Steve. I am just trying ringer a jump here if possible.

So please, those familiar with this board please weigh in as I think this was one of the culprits with this game. Top side of the board in that area has been darkened!

Thanks guys

G

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#2 8 years ago

Sorry ,23 is third in from the left going towards the right. Pin 25 is on the left in the solder side shot and pin 1 is on the right. Other shot should be self explanatory

Thanks again

G

#3 8 years ago

It does not appear that pad 23 is connected to anything (no traces seem to run to it). Can I just yank it off the board and hence eliminate a possible shorting condition between 24 and 22 that caused the blackening on the topside shot?

G

#4 8 years ago

23 is supposed to be connected to 22 and 24.

It is part of a big clump of ground connections.

It all looks normal.

#5 8 years ago

Ok. Thank you vid. Just trying to wrap my head around why I would have the heat discoloration on the topside. Oh well. Maybe I am overthinking. Thanks again vid

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from GPS:

Just trying to wrap my head around why I would have the heat discoloration on the topside.

Hacks try to "reflow" the solder on the pins with too small of an iron.

Because all those pins act as a heat sink when bunched together, someone probably got out a Solder Gun, lol

#7 8 years ago

Roger that vid. I am assuming from my basic understanding of the bird that 22-24 are ground. Is this accurate?

Thanks vid

#8 8 years ago

What I did not share with you vid is that the female socket that plugged into J3 pin 23 or there a outs was actually melted. This is what had me thinking about a short??? See the picture below. Maybe this was caused by the rectifier board which was a total mess and has been replaced

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#9 8 years ago

An oxidized connector with a lot of current running through it can heat up.

It does not mean that there was a short, just high resistance.

#10 8 years ago

Ok. Good point/possibility

#11 8 years ago

That looks like P23 and P24 burned? Those are not the typical pin(s) to burn on that plug. P23/24 is the ground return for the solenoids. I'd imagine that connector passed tons of current to burn like that. The ground return for the solenoid shouldn't burn up like that. The fuse should blow. Check the rectifier board for the correct value at (F4 i think it is) and then check the solenoid fuse for PF. Check the flipper relay, are there any traces burnt off around the flipper relay? Any solenoid coils melted like a flipper or knocker? Id assume a solenoid shorted, started consuming tons of current, the fuse didnt blow because a bonehead put a 20amp fuse in there, and the connector there started to be the weak point that burned open.

Get a new connector housing, new crimp pins, and new header pins. I am not sure if anyone makes the housing new anymore, so may end up super gluing too smaller ones together or stealing one from another game

For what it is worth.... bally went back and forth isolating the solenoid ground return from the rest of them on the driver board j3. Earliest boards are commoned together at the driver board. Early 80s isolated back to rectifier, then later on they commoned to the other grounds again at j3. They where probably trying to get rid of the extra noise that leaks into the switch matrix. From your picture it looks like the grounds are all connected together, but might not be.

#12 8 years ago

Thank you Barak. All new rectifier board which was a sh$t mess no doubt. Probably what caused the issue. New headers already in the board along with new caps and ground mods.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-bally-sdb-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.