Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tumblr_myz4u3mJYB1qdhx1no1_250.gif
PC150138.jpg
STNG.png
1.jpg
IMAG0976.jpg
There are 145 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

And I wish I could love CFTBL, the theme is really awesome. But I just can't get into it.

The problem is it is another drain monster, and getting to the creature and multiball jackpot can be over in 10 seconds or less to new players. Hence, "it sucks" statement. If keep at least one ball on the long ramp and whirlpool at all times, you will survive...it does have some depth...

#52 8 years ago

First ball drained right away but I played on...

IMAG0976.jpgIMAG0976.jpg

#53 8 years ago

STTNG is a fantastic game. I really speak highly of it, because it really hits on all cylinders.

However, I can turn this game on its ass. My GC score was 13 billion and change. At one of my last tournaments I attended, many people had a VERY hard time playing a well tuned STTNG, lots of grumbling. I put 3 billion on that one while most people were getting a couple hundred million. At the State Championship, I was able to pound back a ball three to beat everyone and win the State trophy! enough about me...
There really is a timing and flow with STTNG, and because of that, it is not for everyone. The only knock I can put on that game is, it's a pain to get working correctly. Those diverters and optos need to be set just so. Make it so!

#54 8 years ago

Man Up! My 9 year old son routinely gets 3 billion+ on ours.

1 month later
#55 8 years ago

Listed it again!!! Im either gonna trade sell or part this piece of garbage out!!! Played one game got 105 million. Lasted about 30 seconds total. AWFUL AWFUL game. I cant wait to get rid of it!!!

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

AWFUL AWFUL game.

I'm guessing you never played it on route back in the day. I remember it as one of the most kick ass games of the 90s.

#57 8 years ago

Ive played 4 of them. All were awful.

#58 8 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

Listed it again!!! Im either gonna trade sell or part this piece of garbage out!!! Played one game got 105 million. Lasted about 30 seconds total. AWFUL AWFUL game. I cant wait to get rid of it!!!

That sounds like a "you" problem with this game... Maybe your game isn't set up right? Or maybe your angles and strategies are leading to the outlines? My STTNG games can last 20 minutes easily... 3 billion plus. And I don't use the lane extenders... It's a true pleasure of a game. A strong contender for my favorite game of all-time.

#59 8 years ago

My game is awful. I really want it gone. Its taking up valuable space.

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

My game is awful. I really want it gone. Its taking up valuable space.

When I first got the game, I felt a lot like you. It was very frustrating. But I always put the blame on my lack of skills, not the game.

Eventually, I improved. It still kicks my ass quite a bit, but my scores have gotten better. Best scores are in the 5-7billion range, with a one-off 15 Billion game. The machine is rewarding when you are having a good game. If you stick with it. things will eventually click.

It plays completely differently than the newer Sterns, so it takes some getting used to.

#61 8 years ago

I got rid of mine too. Not because it was a bad player, I just didn't want to look at that bald guy anymore. So I traded it for a real nice Ripley's.

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I got rid of mine too. Not because it was a bad player, I just didn't want to look at that bald guy anymore. So I traded it for a real nice Ripley's.

My STTNG looks better then Ripley's

1.jpg1.jpg

#63 8 years ago

I put rubbers across my outlanes and put a Steve Kirk post between the flippers b/c I hate losing my balls as well

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

To some it does

STNG.pngSTNG.png

#65 8 years ago

I prefer about any machine over STTNG. love the show despise the machine. Heres a pic of my STTNG and a GREAT machine next to it. PC150138.JPGPC150138.JPG

#66 8 years ago

I loved (still do, actually) the series and I own (and like) the pin but it isn't for everybody. I'm sure that I will eventually sell mine to make room for something new.

Go get a pin that you like, the surveys and top 100 lists are guides, not gospel.

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

a GREAT machine next to it.

A fine looking machine it is. Not a bad player either.

#68 8 years ago

Dredd and Demolition Man are steals compared to STTNG. No comparison. I would never get rid of either.

#69 8 years ago

I love Ripley's but when it comes to art it's pretty much at the bottom.

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

Dredd and Demolition Man are steals compared to STTNG. No comparison. I would never get rid of either.

Had both and don't want either back. Well JD maybe but DM was just sooooo easy.

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

Ha...DM one of the worst WPC era games easily, probably the ugliest.

Quoted from BOBCADE:

Game art doesn't bother me but it isn't the greatest...the backglass (which I realize you were talking aboot with o-din before my eyes burnt out of their sockets ) is truly horrific. It's so bad I started to love it...which I can only assume every fan of DM has done.

#72 8 years ago

6 months from now joe will still be whining about how much he hates the game and can't wait to sell it.

I think he secretly likes it and the way it schools him and reminds him what a shitty player he is. Some people need negative reinforcement like that in their lives.

#73 8 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

I'll take that shrunken head over the bald head anyday.

#74 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

6 months from now joe will still be whining about how much he hates the game and can't wait to sell it.
I think he secretly likes it and the way it schools him and reminds him what a shitty player he is. Some people need negative reinforcement like that in their lives.

I love your posts. do you speak to people like that in person? Sorry my opinion bothers you. Youre welcome to come and play this game.

#75 8 years ago

New title needed:

Help Me Like STTNG - A Game I Absolutely Refuse To Like.

#76 8 years ago

STTNG is one of the best games ever made!

There, does that help?

#77 8 years ago

If you don't like STTNG then sell it to someone that will get some enjoyment out of it. Nothing like going into Final Frontier with 10 or more artifacts (and getting a 2.5 billion bonus) and racking up 250 million per shot! It's probably the most strategic and risk/reward based machine of its time.

#78 8 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

1.jpg

mbob,

Where oh where did you get that translight? Love it!

#79 8 years ago

All his hate stems from the fact that he is absolutely terrible at pinball. Either that, or his game is set up way wrong and he refuses to fix it. He bitches about constantly having 30 second, 100 million point games. Sure, STTNG is a tough game, but cmon. My kids could get 100 million with their eyes closed. I routinely put up 4 billion or more almost every game, and I'm no wizard. It's you, man, not the machine. STTNG is a classic.

Dude is also as good of a salesman as he is a pinball player -- "buy my game! It's THE WORST!"

#80 8 years ago

If you're looking to sell it, you're not doing a very good job of making it sound enticing to prospective buyers. Saying it’s awful, piece of garbage, and the worst game ever. I would try something like, I tried to like it but it just wasn't clicking with me.

BTW its one of my favorite games ever. So, just goes to show we all have different tastes.

#81 8 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Sure, STTNG is a tough game, but cmon. My kids could get 100 million with their eyes closed.

Yeah I've never found it to be THAT tough of a game.

#82 8 years ago

Sorry im not gonna lie and say its a great playing game just as I would never sell a lemon car. Karmas a bitch. Game is listed. Anyone is more than welcome to come and play it or set it up as they think it should be. Im through with it and want it gone. Among my friends and family it is the black sheep of my games.

#83 8 years ago

I have a love/hate relationship with my STTNG.

Usually love it - when having a good game it really gets the adrenaline pumping. ...but the outlane drain-monsters can be a real downer sometimes. I found that setting the game for 4 or 5 ball play is a good way to extend your playtimes and see more modes, The Final Frontier, etc.

I'm going to be adding the extended outlanes to see if that prevents the most annoying drains when the ball slightly bounces off the top of the slingshot instead of just rolling down into the outlane. I might also try using super-bands on the slings as I've noticed they tend towards a deader response than traditional rubber.

Having said that I usually have pretty good success by forward nudging the ball anytime it heads for the top of the slingshots to get it well clear of the outlane region.

It really needs strong smooth flippers though, it's not much fun if you can't consistently make the long shots to the end of the playfield and the Delta ramp. It really rewards making your shots.

Probably one of the best theme integrations in pinball as well and has that Steve Ritchie magic!

#84 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Smoke a bunch of weed and any game can be entertaining.

Quoted from Aurich:

Even o-din's 2" flipper games!

The ones that go "Ding"?

Seriously though, I never could get into STTNG. It's pretty and all,but I never cared for the play. I can however understand how others might like it.

#85 8 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

The ones that go "Ding"?

Won't you play with my ding a ling?

#86 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeHogue:

mbob,
Where oh where did you get that translight? Love it!

There was a guy who sold them on ebay but sadly Paramount/CBS made him stop.

#87 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Won't you play with my ding a ling?

tumblr_myz4u3mJYB1qdhx1no1_250.giftumblr_myz4u3mJYB1qdhx1no1_250.gif

#88 8 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

I love your posts. do you speak to people like that in person? Sorry my opinion bothers you. Youre welcome to come and play this game.

Your opinion doesn't bother me.

Your obnoxious posts every couple of months on this subject are kind of annoying though. You hate the game and want to get rid of it? Fantastic. Why do you think we care? You've been beating this drum for a year yet it's still taking up space in your otherwise completely mediocre collection of C-list WPC games.

Do you speak to people like that in person? Do you wander around the supermarket telling everybody in sight how bad the macaroni salad at the deli counter is, and how you'll never eat it again, but you still have a 6 pound tub in your freezer that you refuse to throw out?

#89 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Your opinion doesn't bother me.
Your obnoxious posts every couple of months on this subject are kind of annoying though. You hate the game and want to get rid of it? Fantastic. Why do you think we care? You've been beating this drum for a year yet it's still taking up space in your otherwise completely mediocre collection of C-list WPC games.
Do you speak to people like that in person? Do you wander around the supermarket telling everybody in sight how bad the macaroni salad at the deli counter is, and how you'll never eat it again, but you still have a 6 pound tub in your freezer that you refuse to throw out?

Isnt this a forum?? Can I not post questions? Don't like my posts then don't read them. Ill check with you before I post anything from now on.
Youre gonna insult my collection? Ill post a picture of myself in a Darth Vader costume for your approval.
I just started a thread about my KISS machine. Please give me your approval. I wait with great anxiety. Im surprised you haven't read it as you seem to follow my posts...

#90 8 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

All his hate stems from the fact that he is absolutely terrible at pinball. Either that, or his game is set up way wrong and he refuses to fix it. He bitches about constantly having 30 second, 100 million point games. Sure, STTNG is a tough game, but cmon. My kids could get 100 million with their eyes closed.

If you choose Lock a Ball on the skill shot everytime and know the best way to do the Holodeck Video Mode, it's near impossible to score lower than 200 million. You would get 159 million and an EB from your first Holodeck alone.

#91 8 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

1.jpg

I disagree with that god awful translite. But to each their own.

#92 8 years ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

I disagree with that god awful translite. But to each their own.

I'm a Trekie so the ships are a big improvement to me.

#93 8 years ago

Its all good, i just love seeing the inspiration to go completely bald when i start to loose my hair staring me in the eyes everytime i play my stnng.

#94 8 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

Isnt this a forum?? Can I not post questions? Don't like my posts then don't read them.

Is there anything lamer than "Don't like my posts don't read them?"

"Parent's basement" maybe but I can't think of anything else. It makes almost no sense.

If you don't like my posts, how about YOU don't read them? Isn't this a forum? Can I not post responses to your questions?

You are a one-trick pony. You make a post asking for suggestions, and then ignore everybody. You either ask for repair advice, and then don't act on ANY of the suggestions and come back later with the exact same question, or you come here to whine about STTNG without taking anyone's advice on how to repair the situation. That's all you got.

I'd like to think my annoyance repitoire is a little more advanced. There's like a half-dozen tricks up my sleeve.

#95 8 years ago

Who really eats kale anyway?

#96 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Who really eats kale anyway?

Half of New York City.

It's disgusting.

Still, convince me to like it! For some reason.

#97 8 years ago

What's a Kale?

#98 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Half of New York City.
It's disgusting.
Still, convince me to like it! For some reason.

I wouldn't even try. Not when in this part of the country we've got avocados falling from the trees.

#99 8 years ago

I agree with Aurich and o-din! Smoking a lot of Kush greatly improves my patience and coordination,that you need for this title! peace!!!

#100 8 years ago

You need to have very good skills to play STTNG well. It is the type of game that if you miss a shot, you are in deep, deep trouble. It is very unforgiving. It is not a game you can just be flipping at the ball when it comes back at the flippers, you really need to be in control of the ball and deliberate on every shot. Let your concentration lapse, even for just a moment, and you're hosed. So, not a game for everyone and probably not the right game if you have a very small collection.

I also find that I typically need at least a couple of games to get warmed up and get a feel for the shots. Having said that, I recently stepped up and played it after not having played it for a couple of months (had a reset issue) and was instantly in the groove and made it to the final frontier. That was clearly an exception. I will say that if you can get in a rhythm with Picard maneuver it can be very gratifying and lead to very big scores.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 85.00
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 63.95
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 64.99
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

There are 145 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-me-like-sttng/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.