HM_Gallery 107 (resized).jpg
HM_Gallery 105 (resized).jpg
HM_Gallery 104 (resized).jpg
HM_Gallery 101 (resized).jpg
HM_Gallery 94 (resized).jpg
HM_Gallery 81 (resized).jpg
HM_Gallery 73 (resized).jpg
HM_Gallery 1 (resized).jpg
1981-heavy-metal-one-sheet-movie_1_95e9191751c4e8fb390460c0253a965f (resized).jpg
a6a4da2ad15c122535763e00212b1a7a (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Diospinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 4 years ago

I love Bashki and I really enjoy the Heavy Metal movie. Ralph Bashki(sorry if I spelled it wrong) is perhaps the animator/director most important for helping make animation more mature and adult in its themes and content.
Before him it was the same terrytunes and mighty mouse and house of mouse kind of stuff. Now, thanks to him you got the Simpsons, Futurama, Family Guy, and Rick and Morty. 4 pinball machines to date from those themes... Not too shabby.

Anyway... Wizards is a film I wanted to love, and I mostly just enjoy it. I wish it was more Frazetta like with its art design. But, its a good film, with a very good plot, and its enjoyable.
Heavy Metal... Its a mixed bag. It has some really amazing and awesome sequences, but then some of the stories are just lame and dumb(in my oppinon... Remember what Dirty Harry says about opinions people).
The opening sequence with the car from outer space is really slick and for the time, nothing like that had ever been done. Was just really out there and really edgy in a hip kind of way. So I liked that one.
The PI story. That's a good one, but not really great.
Didn't like the story where the woman was abducted and then married the alien.
The flying fortress WWII story was just amazing. The only issue I had with it, is its a bit of a downer. I mean... What did the guy do to deserve such a merciless fate. Regardless, great animation, and just a taut suspenseful story.
Then the story with the town that calls for help but everyone dies in it.
I mean... Kind of pointless to call for help if it takes FOREVER TO ARRIVE... And boy is this one SLOW. Nice opening slaughter sequence... But, then it really slows down to a crawl, or feels that way as it introduces the Valkyrie. It does eventually have some cool moments and kind of makes up for the slow middle... But, that middle section to me is just so unbearably slooooooooooooow. So even then its a mixed bag.

I almost forgot about den... That one is good. Nice sense of humor and nice action. And for its time decent animation. Has that Frazetta feel to it.
Also, the ending... I kind of like how it perpetuates the heroes journey. That she is latest to answer the call for adventure. It's a nice touch that does fit the feel of the movie... Just a shame so much carnage and evil was wrecked upon her family... But, then again that is kind of hte nature of hte beast... or the comic in which the material is based.

My favorite Bashki film is Fire & Ice. It has a solid(if not cliche) and breezy sword and sorcery story. With amazing animation(remember guys this was 1980s animation and also NOT DISNEY so it really was quality work), and its frazetta come to life... No not the level of his paintings. But, it captures and evokes the feel of his paintings and it actually has a lot of his layouts and compositions used in his paintings in the movie for some of the action sequences. Just a great great film.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Diospinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heavy-metal-vs-wizards?tu=Diospinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.