Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by provato
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190601_080423 (resized).jpg
    20190405_200541 (resized).jpg
    20190403_201106 (resized).jpg
    20190517_192842 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pindude80.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I tore down the top side of my Harlem Globetrotters and threw all of the metal parts in the tumbler. Last night it had been running for about 48 hours and I took a look at the parts. The hardware is not shining up much if any at all but all of the other metal parts look great! I'm using walnut shell media and added some Flitz to it before I started the tumbling process.

So, my question is, is there a plating on the hardware that is gone and no amount of polishing will make it shiny again or maybe am I using the wrong type of media?

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from JKirby:

How long has the current media been in service? After a while it can lose it's potency.

I think I've only used it on one tumble job before this so 2 to 3 days max.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

When you say hardware are you talking about the bolts and screws? If so, I always found I had to buff those on a wheel one at a time. Tumbler did not always get the heads of screws very well especially if they where really funky.

Yes, the bolts and screws. They weren't real nasty going in just kind of dull. I never thought about buffing but currenlty don't have a bench grinder setup. Is it pretty quick, just a quick buff or do you have to work at them for a while?

What do you use for a polishing compound?

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from russdx:

i run walnut with novus2 for 3 days, then corn cob with metal polish for 1 day.

does this method make screw and bolt heads shine like new?

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

These came out of walnut media with mothers mag wheel polish after 72 hours....[quoted image]

Wow! Everything except for my hardware (screws, bolts, nuts) looks close to that shiny. Is the mothers mag wheel polish that much better than Flitz I guess?

#11 4 years ago

This last batch of parts was just oxidized. I turned it off last night after 72 hours and about everything polished up great except for the hardware is still dull looking. I'm going to probably try a few on the buffing wheel to see what happens. Next time I run parts through the tumbler I'm going to have to try to add the mag polish. Is this what you guys are using and if so how much would I want to add for one of the large tumblers?

https://www.amazon.com/Mothers-05101-Mag-Aluminum-Polish/dp/B0009H519Y/ref=sr_1_3

#17 4 years ago

Last night after work I picked up some Mothers Mag & Wheel Polish. The day before I bought a buffing wheel from Harbor Freight which I mounted on my bench grinder; it spit strings everywhere for about the first 45 minutes, but that's another story. Anyway, I lightly locked each piece of hardware in my vice grips, dipped the head in the Mothers polish, hit it on the buffing wheel for a few seconds while turning it and the results speak for themselves- before and after picture.

I would like to try adding the Mothers to my tumbler for some other hardware and maybe some old balls I have sitting around. I have one of the large size tumblers. Does anyone know about how much polishing compound I would add to my media? Not sure if it would matter or not but my media has Flitz in it from the last 2 tumbling sessions.

IMG_20190601_080423 (resized).jpgIMG_20190601_080423 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pindude80.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hardware-not-polishing-in-tumbler?tu=pindude80 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.