• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1779.JPG
IMG_1778.JPG
#1 9 years ago

I am close to finishing off my Kings and Queens (I can now see why so many people here love this make/era: all the brass, metal posts and frankly a very nice finish on the play field certainly compared to the couple of Bally's I have worked on - will post a few pics once I complete).

But, am seeking advice on the door.

IMG_1778.JPGIMG_1778.JPG

It has some very difficult remove blemishes (the shiny bits are where I've tried with metal polish), and I while I find cleaning quite therapeutic, not sure I need this much! When I looked at PBR (www.pbresource.com/backdoor.html), it would almost be cheaper ($38) to replace than the cost of polish! However, the PBR appears plain steel (8563, I have the metal track), where as mine has that sort of pyramid shape and a brass finish.

To remain consistent to original should I therefore keep mine, and if so, any tips on cleaning as my metal polishes are struggling!

Thanks.

#2 9 years ago

Try Zep orange degreaser (available at Home Depot).

#3 9 years ago

I really dislike those metal doors. I have made them look really nice with the Rustoleum hammered paint. I have a Flip a Card that was simply missing the door. I cut a piece of plywood and put it in there. The 5/8 inch fits really nice and does not bang around like ones I've seen with 1/4 plywood doors. I wish they were wood to begin with.

#4 9 years ago

Definitely keep - only original once.

#5 9 years ago

I once found a shade of Valspar metallic spray paint at Lowes that was a really good match for that coppery finish on the Gottlieb back doors. I ran out of it, and can't find it anymore. As dirtflipper said, use the Zep citrus cleaner cut in half with warm water and if you can find a suitable trough, soak the door in it for at least one hour. Then polish it up with Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish and it should shine like a new penny.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I once found a shade of Valspar metallic spray paint at Lowes that was a really good match for that coppery finish on the Gottlieb back doors. I ran out of it, and can't find it anymore. </blockquote

I'd paint the later doors that didn't have the copper finish, and they would look like the earlier ones.

#7 9 years ago

I personally leave something like that original and just clean. To each his own though......

#8 9 years ago

Dook DirtFlipper's advice with the Zeb - soaked for an hour, then used couple of different metal polishes - its not perfect (I think the machine had been in a fire looking at the cab), but it is still original

IMG_1779.JPGIMG_1779.JPG

#9 9 years ago

JR hooked me on using the Zep, followed by Mother's Mag&Alum. I don't know about other polishes, but Mother's produces stunning results.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

JR hooked me on using the Zep, followed by Mother's Mag&Alum. I don't know about other polishes, but Mother's produces stunning results.

Yeah, that was a long time ago.

#11 9 years ago

The door turned out nice!

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

and you subsequently hooked others...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtlb-back-door-clean-or-replace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.