23%
  • Others (specify in comment) 13 votes
    8%

(160 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pins (resized).jpg
There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 8 months ago

I'm new to the hobby and been enjoying playing in barcades with the wife for a year now. I feel the need and ready to own a machine. Wife approval is still pending, so right now I'm just hoping to win a projectpinball raffle.

I know Godzilla is the consensus #1 machine, but the wife and I find it quite challenging occasionally and not that enjoyable. Although when I'm in the flow, the shots are satisfying.

So I'm looking for something that's good for a first pin, not too difficult. I'm fine with outgrowing it after 1-2 years as I can always sell or trade. But not too straightforward that I will get tired of after few months.

What I like in a pinball is not only gameplay, but also gimmicks like crazy lighting, sounds, and toys. Something that might look cool for a newb guest.

The ones in the poll are the ones I've been enjoying so far.

#2 8 months ago

I voted Deadpool, not as difficult as other Sterns. Might want to consider Guardians of the Galaxy too, easier for beginners also.

#3 8 months ago

I agree with manadams - deadpool is the best choice from your list, but GOTG is also a great option. When I rented it for a couple of months it was a favourite with guests. Groot is an obvious target to shoot at and the multiball is achievabe and a 'wow factor' for guests. Also if you are a beginner Cherry Bomb multiball is attainable, but (depending on your skill level) should still feel like it's earnt when you get to it, and it's really fun and a great pinball moment. Slightly underrated game imo.

#4 8 months ago

From your list, if not Godzilla, deadpool will give the most satisfying gameplay for the longest. Attack from Mars is very fun and I play it on location frequently, but at home as your only machine, it will get old very quick. Stranger Things, Black Knight and Monster Bash are somewhere in-between.

I would also suggest you consider Scooby Doo from Spooky, if that theme appeals to you. The code is getting really deep and they are not done with it and continue to release updates, technical support is phenomenal and the price is a deal in today's market. Game play is a lot of fun, and this pin is the definition of family friendly.

#5 8 months ago

In your situation, I would maybe hold off on a purchase?

Play some more pinball. Get a broader appreciation of what the game can offer by playing a lot.

Over the next period of gameplay see if something charms you. Makes you happy when you play it.

Pinball is awesome!

But it's also very personal. What you love, I might not regard as highly.

There are some things we can say. Most people are going to be happy with Godzilla. Actually with anything in the top 20 pinside list (it is a popularity contest, after all...) And there is a wisdom to the crowds.

But I can't speak to what you find best for you.

Play more pinball. That will guide your purchase more than anything else.

#6 8 months ago

As others have said, play a lot more pins and a wider variety.
The one pin I've suggested as a great first one to get as a
player with a lot of nice features and killer artwork is Gtb SINBAD.

#7 8 months ago

Star Trek Pro, that’s probably the best first modern pin IMO.

Above all though find a game that you and your wife both enjoy. You will get a million different answers here but only and your wife can decide what game is best for you.

#8 8 months ago

Anything that mostly works. That’s the best imo. You’ll find out if ownership and maintenance are your bag. Then slowly work your way up to other games. Don’t worry about theme or gameplay. Different games speak to different people. You’ll be surprised.

#9 8 months ago

Personally I really like Godzilla. It's challenging and super deep but a smooth shooter at the same time. If I were going to buy a first pin that hits your likes mentioned, I'd look at Creature from the Black Lagoon. Yeah its not very deep but it has a great theme, satisfying shots and tons of really nice mods. Also, it will be pretty easy to sell if you need to.

#10 8 months ago
Quoted from gnocchi_pesto:

I'm new to the hobby and been enjoying playing in barcades with the wife for a year now. I feel the need and ready to own a machine. Wife approval is still pending, so right now I'm just hoping to win a projectpinball raffle.
I know Godzilla is the consensus #1 machine, but the wife and I find it quite challenging occasionally and not that enjoyable. Although when I'm in the flow, the shots are satisfying.
So I'm looking for something that's good for a first pin, not too difficult. I'm fine with outgrowing it after 1-2 years as I can always sell or trade. But not too straightforward that I will get tired of after few months.
What I like in a pinball is not only gameplay, but also gimmicks like crazy lighting, sounds, and toys. Something that might look cool for a newb guest.
The ones in the poll are the ones I've been enjoying so far.

I think Monster Bash is the game you are looking for.

Crazy lighting? Check
Sounds? Check
Toys? Check

The gameplay is intuitive, fast, and fun...and it always seems to have a line at it on location (and at my home with guests).

The only knock on it is that some say it is too easy. Well...the mini wizard mode and wizard modes are attainable...but they aren't easy. There is plenty of challenge and replayability.

#11 8 months ago

Monster Bash

#12 8 months ago

+1 Monster bash based on what you said you like. Also see Cactus Canyon, Theatre of Magic, other 90s classics

#13 8 months ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Also see Cactus Canyon,

I second checking out Cactus Canyon. You can get a great buy on a HUO one right now.

#14 8 months ago

Please read through this thread:

Rush/Godzilla Node Board 10 issues and Non issues list
By Jamesays

#15 8 months ago

MB gets old after some time. I had one for a couple of years. Least played in my collection. I agree with Star Trek pro for a start. Not too difficult and lots of fun. Wife's favorite in our house. Will never leave.

#16 8 months ago

I agree with your assessment - I wouldn't suggest Godzilla as a first pin.

Monster Bash or AFM, both fan layouts and ranked in the Top 5 for over 25 years, with good reason. Great sound packages and animations, great toys, and just flat out fun to play for beginners and not-so-much beginners.

I lean towards AFM because of the jumping martians, strobe multiball and the animated spaceship.

#17 8 months ago

Monster Bash. Fun theme, great shots, good audio/animation and great rules.

#18 8 months ago

The distributor near me has a game room. I imagine they all do. Find your local distributor and explain your situation. They'll probably let you have free reign over the shop. Play tons of games, multiple times, with no lines. Start knocking games off of your list. Go with your wife of course.

Also, talk to players at your barcade. Ask them what they have owned, and why they did or didn't get rid of it.

Keep in mind, a single game will wear it's welcome in short stay. But don't worry, you'll be looking for a partner game within 2 months!

Enjoy the journey!

#19 8 months ago

Machines I have owned that are perfect for those new to pinball or guests:

Monster Bash
Congo
World Cup Soccer 94
Addams Family

#20 8 months ago

Irrelevant.. once you get one from your list .. the second third and forth will shortly be keeping your first one company .
Welcome to the hobby !

#21 8 months ago

I agree with everyone….play as many different machines as you can!!! It’s all subjective, you may love a theme but it may not shoot the greatest for you and vice versa.

#22 8 months ago

Question worth asking - how much do you think you'll play it? If you play frequently and only have one pin, you SHOULD get something that feels challenging. Otherwise you'll feel bored with it after a month or so. Deadpool is a good compromise, really fun and not TOO easy, but if you're considering Godzilla I'd argue it has more staying power, and it won't feel as challenging after a few weeks.

Another factor to consider - how easy can you sell/trade it if (when) you do get bored? Honestly, that would be the deciding factor for me - if you focus on that, you don't need to think too hard about it it "what's the best for me." Find a good deal, and let yourself find out, no worries and roll the dice again if wrong.

#23 8 months ago

AFM for flailing flipping, hitting the big saucer in the middle, with great music and callouts. Great total package for a 1st pin, and unlike 7 years ago, very readily available!

DP is a great first pin with relatively forgiving shots, varied modes, and an excellent and unique ball lock in thr katana ball ramp. Very few real differences between the Pro and Prem models, so go Pro for $5500 - $6300 and enjoy!

#24 8 months ago

reading what you like/search, +1 with Deadpool than

#25 8 months ago

In what situations will you be playing?
Parties? Home alone? Friends drinking beer, chatting taking turns? Will there be kids?
Etc....

#26 8 months ago

Attack from Mars or Deadpool, assuming your wife approves, of course.

#27 8 months ago

Thanks for all the response. My wife and I are quite competitive, so we enjoy beating each other score and spend hours trying to get on the leaderboard. So insider connect seems like a feature we will appreciate a lot. Deadpool is wife's favorite. But I find it slightly lacking in lightshow and music departments. I find Black Knight: SOR to be excellent in those, but I don't find much review on it?

Also a downside for MB and AFM they are not easy to come by (at least with reasonable price). CC seems to be easier and cheaper to find, but I don't like the theme.

Played another Godzilla yesterday, really tried hard to like it, but I feel the ball just can't reach ramps. Maybe the machine's inclination wasn't right, or we just suck.

#28 8 months ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

In what situations will you be playing?
Parties? Home alone? Friends drinking beer, chatting taking turns? Will there be kids?
Etc....

I'd say 50% me or wife playing alone, another 50% me and wife taking turns. No kids in the house.

#29 8 months ago

I would look for a MBR, AFMR, MMR remake standard. All are very fun games, and deep enough to have fun with for a long time especially for someone starting off in pinball. Your lucky that all those titles were remade so they come up for sale often.

#30 8 months ago

Thanks for all the response. My wife and I are quite competitive, so we enjoy beating each other score and spend hours trying to get on the leaderboard. So insider connect seems like a feature we will appreciate a lot. Deadpool is wife's favorite. But I find it slightly lacking in lightshow and music departments. I find Black Knight: SOR to be excellent in those, but I don't find much review on it?
Also a downside for MB and AFM they are not easy to come by (at least with reasonable price). CC seems to be easier and cheaper to find, but I don't like the theme.
Played another Godzilla yesterday, really tried hard to like it, but I feel the ball just can't reach ramps. Maybe the machine's inclination wasn't right, or we just suck.

Have you ever gotten to Mechsuit MB? Turn up the volume in home make your way up to it and play it. I dare you!

Boom!!!!

Get a DP and don’t look back. HUO are coming down in price. Add insider connect if the one you get doesn’t have it to keep track of scores and progress since you like some “competion” - it’s fun! Lastly - play the crap out of it! (Playing pinball is a lot more fun than posting about it).

Bonus - Trade it out later for another game after you are done. Wash rinse repeat!

Owning a pinball game/games is amazing. I wish you will in your hunt!

#31 8 months ago

i really like BKSOR (the PRO), but i would not recommend to buy until you'll try it by yourself

not only its hard/dangerous/frustrating to shoot that 3 "main" targets at the knight (and you need to do it often), but there's not much to do on this pin, which really deserve more than a tweak when talking about code

Deapool is complete, finish, & very good/fun as it

#32 8 months ago

Ill get hammered here but, find a Toy Story Le for a bargain. The entire package is way better than people say. My friends love it when the stop by.

#33 8 months ago

You can't really go wrong with any game you listed.

That said, Godzilla sold like hot cakes, and they are still cranking them out. This was a game that a lot of first time collectors bought (long time collectors too). As collectors get ready to change things up, you might be able to pick one up with low plays at a good price. I had a buddy pick up a premium for 8700, and they can be had pretty readily below NIB. It or BKSOR might be the best "values" from your list.

#34 8 months ago

Also a downside for MB and AFM they are not easy to come by (at least with reasonable price).

Same price as the other games you're thinking about, no?

If it comes down to it, isn't a game you might enjoy worth a little more than one that's simply cheaper?

#35 8 months ago

If you find Godzilla frustrating to make shots, want something easier but with lots of gizmos, and fancy a modern Stern then have you considered Elvira’s House of Horrors? It’s got a somewhat AFM/MB-like layout, lots of toys (the crypt, the house), but a big LCD screen.

I find it a boring piece of pish, but I also love the challenge of Godzilla. If you want something easier, I’d definitely go for a simple fan layout. Another option might be Spiderman. That’s a DMD-era Stern that’s quite affordable, readily available, and it’s very easy to get multiballs/modes going for a fun game.

#36 8 months ago

I'd say 50% me or wife playing alone, another 50% me and wife taking turns. No kids in the house.

Two games that both me and my wife has liked is jp(stern) and wonka.
Both are very approachable, jp is a bit harder on the shots, wonka abit harder rule-wise.
Both are nice and present fun and challenge for a long time. Both have standard geomethrics, so you can learn post transfer etc.

Besides thoose two, if you just want to play and shoot pinballs, both afm and mm are two greats wich you can relate to instantly.

#37 8 months ago

OP, you don't mention space constraints. I would rather have two B titles for near the price of one A title to give some variety.

#38 8 months ago

Theres so many great titles and its really hard to just pick one. Budget/theme is the other consideration. Obviously one of the best games of all time is LOTR, which is a very deep immersive game ...

#39 8 months ago

The game you want to buy is Godzilla. You can't rely on games in bars to be set up correctly. Once you get Godzilla dialed in it's actually one of the easier modern stern games and it has enough going on with modes and toys that you won't get tired of it. There's a reason it's the consensus #1. It will also always be easy to sell if you decide to move on. I would suggest adding precision flippers, PinStadium NeoAtom, and Pinwoofer to really make the game great.

#40 8 months ago

Dead pool, Godzilla, AFM, MB in that order. The others meh.

#41 8 months ago

It seems like I will need to play more pins: Elvira, Iron Maiden, and Guardian of the Galaxy look interesting, but I don't have any in my locale.

I am also looking at JP Home Edition. Looks decent yet simple. But I'm afraid it's too simple, I like to be surprised by some rules I don't know on top of my head from time to time. But for under $4k it might be worth it?

#42 8 months ago

Play them all and pick a game that you enjoy playing.

Do not buy a cheaper home pinball machine. Buy a real commercial pinball machine.

#43 8 months ago

It seems like I will need to play more pins: Elvira, Iron Maiden, and Guardian of the Galaxy look interesting, but I don't have any in my locale.
I am also looking at JP Home Edition. Looks decent yet simple. But I'm afraid it's too simple, I like to be surprised by some rules I don't know on top of my head from time to time. But for under $4k it might be worth it?

If you can find get that and another pin for under $4K. You'd be better off with two than one expensive pin.

#44 8 months ago

The general advice is one person’s The Addam’s Family is another person’s Bugs Bunny Pinball Party. So, go to a big barcade or other venue, and play everything you can imagine (artwise) being in your house. Don’t neglect the Bally Williams-era titles like The Addam’s Family (I know you’ve mentioned AFM and MB) - they have lots of toys and are pretty complex rules-wise too.

I’m lucky enough to have multiple big clubs, barcades and pinball cafes near my house (I’m in London, UK) and our seven-pin collection is a greatest hits of ‘everything I enjoyed enough to play it repeatedly on location when there were other things to play’. It’s worth mentioning that, if I’d taken advice online, I’d have made some serious mistakes because everyone on here says games with simple rules don’t survive in a home setting. For about seven months, the only pin we had was Fish Tales - it’s still here. We now also own a TNA. So, it’s definitely a personality thing what you enjoy - there’s not some hard-and-fast rule on it!

#45 8 months ago

Get DP for your wife. The second one will be for you.

#46 8 months ago

Forget Stern Insider! Not for a noob!

#47 8 months ago

I only have space for 2 machines maximum. More than that, I will have to put stuff in weird places. But wife is definitely not gonna be happy with more than 1 machine for now. She said I can buy 1 if I still craving for one at the end of the year, and the second one will have to wait for another year at least.

My ultimate goal is to have 2 machines:
1 modern stern with somewhat deep gameplay like DP or GZ I could spend hours per play and months to get to wizard mode.
And 1 machine with straightforward rules like AFM or MB. This will be ideal to play in between work breaks (I work from home), waiting for oven/microwave, or waiting for the wife to get ready. Something I can play without much thinking and satisfying enough after 15-30min of play
I'm not sure which one to get first.

#48 8 months ago

Get either first. AFM is fun and mindless flailing for beginners but tough enough for pinball players to attempt to Rule thr Universe.

Give GZ more time to come down in price. Same with DP as the Pro is starting to hit the low $6Ks more and more.

#49 8 months ago

Everyone is right that you need to figure out what you like yourself but you asked so here are my thoughts

If your wife likes pinball and plays with you recognize you are lucky so navigate that. We have several pinball families in our group where once on board the ladies are looking for games and suggesting they play tournaments

AFM will make you a better player. The reaction off a mistake shot to the force field is needed to get better as well as lob shots off a target like martians into the forcefield is used in many games.

Godzilla is a very smooth and easier shooter, if you can’t hit the ramps the game you are playing is messed up.

Deadpool is very fun and has great humor it is one of the easiest for a stern to get to the end not that it’s easy

MB is super fun with light show… humor and really nice shots and has a mini-wizard mode half way that’s fun (Monster Bash) and the wizard mode like AFM that you can get to.

#50 8 months ago

I only have space for 2 machines maximum. More than that, I will have to put stuff in weird places. But wife is definitely not gonna be happy with more than 1 machine for now. She said I can buy 1 if I still craving for one at the end of the year, and the second one will have to wait for another year at least.
My ultimate goal is to have 2 machines:
1 modern stern with somewhat deep gameplay like DP or GZ I could spend hours per play and months to get to wizard mode.
And 1 machine with straightforward rules like AFM or MB. This will be ideal to play in between work breaks (I work from home), waiting for oven/microwave, or waiting for the wife to get ready. Something I can play without much thinking and satisfying enough after 15-30min of play
I'm not sure which one to get first.

Like your choices!

I think DP and/or GDZ will be easier to find and get right now. Lean HUO on both and more so on DP. Prems are better but Pros are fun and will do just fine.

If you want MB or AFM you will probably have more trouble finding them and if you do not have pricing options anywhere near to the Gdz DP Pro price in the $6’s on either.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 73.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 68.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, IL
$ 159.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 575.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Bling

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Kingston, OK
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashville, TN
$ 74.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 185.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Rochester, NH
$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/great-first-home-machine-for-beginner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.