Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Scan1.PDF (PDF preview)
cleo new (resized).JPG
PyramidSchem.PDF (PDF preview)
#1 5 years ago

I have a Pyramid that is scoring wrong.

In Pyramid, drop targets score 1K for every rollover made. Mine is over-scoring.

I tested how many 1000s I score based on which rollovers are made to try and find out which one(s) are shorted as always made.

If the only the white OR blue rollover is made, drops score 2K. If only red OR green rollover is made, drops score 3K. If only the yellow rollover is made, drops score 4K.

I think this tells me that blue AND white rollovers are always counted as made.
Although, yellow giving 4K scoring must mean something else is going on there too.

I have looked carefully at the sequence bank, especially blue (3B) and white (4B) rollover relays. I don't see any leaf switches or lugs touching each other.

I have looked at the score motor closely and don't see any lugs, leaf switches, or "tuning fork" pieces shorting.

What else do I need to look at?

The end of ball bonus is over-scoring too.

Here is the relevant part of the schematic:

PyramidSchem.PDFPyramidSchem.PDF
#2 5 years ago

Check the manual between 3 and 5 ball scoring:

cleo new (resized).JPGcleo new (resized).JPG
#3 5 years ago

You could check your Score Wheel Switches to see if one or more are gaped to close.

I had a similar problem once with a Gottlieb machine and this was the cause of the strange point values. One thing to note is that the chances are only one player is having the issue and the other is not. If player 1 and 2 have the same issue then this is NOT likely the problem.

#4 5 years ago

Thanks for the page from the manual, I don't have a manual for this game. My score problems are different than 3/5 ball differences, though. What I did see interesting on that page is that drops should score 0 if no rollovers are made. I wondered if that should be the case. Mine always score.

The problems occur on both players.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Ace24:

What I did see interesting on that page is that drops should score 0 if no rollovers are made. I wondered if that should be the case. Mine always score.

Actually the manual does not say they score 0, it just says that they score more (1000), that's why you always go for the lanes first then shoot for the lit drops.

Next I would check your playfield switches to both the drop targets and ALL the rollovers that activate them. This would affect both player 1 & 2 scores. Still sounds to me like there is a switch gaped to close.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Actually the manual does not say they score 0, it just says that they score more (1000), that's why you always go for the lanes first then shoot for the lit drops.
Next I would check your playfield switches to both the drop targets and ALL the rollovers that activate them. This would affect both player 1 & 2 scores. Still sounds to me like there is a switch gaped to close.

OK, thanks. I should be able to look at it this weekend.

I was referring to the note near the bottom of the manual page about testing the game by hand.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Ace24:

I was referring to the note near the bottom of the manual page about testing the game by hand.

That's referring to 3 ball play, at least they put it in that section, I assumed you are on 5 ball? To be safe when testing I would do what it says (3 or 5 Ball), sometimes manuals are not very clear in what the are really trying to say.

1 month later
#8 5 years ago

THIS IS FROM THE 4 PLAYER VERSION.

Scan1.PDFScan1.PDF
#9 5 years ago

Thanks for the manual page. The good thing now is that I do understand the logic of how this circuit works for drop target scoring and bonus scoring. So I learned something, even if I haven't fixed the game yet.
The drop target control switches are all opening, a different one at each of the five motor positions.
The NO rollover relay switches are open unless the rollovers are made.
Haven't located the short yet.

#10 5 years ago

With the playfield unplugged, I still score 1000 or two if I manually operate (F), the drop target score relay.
I should get nothing, with no rollovers made, and indeed, the rollovers unplugged and out of the circuit.

In the circuit above, scoring pulses of 5 per 1/3 motor revolution come through motor 1A. For each of the 5 motor positions, one of the motor "drop target score control switches" which are in a series is open. This stops the scoring pulse from reaching (F) and therefore (L), 1000 point relay, unless one or more rollovers are made, creating an alternate path to (F), (L) via 1B, 2B, 3B, 4B or 5B, by going around an open motor switch.

With the rollovers out of consideration, due to the playfield being unplugged, my problem is with this series of "drop target control switches." Or perhaps in a wire bundle going from the score motor to (F)?

I have looked at the score motor closely repeatedly with a bright light to try and see a short. I unhinged it and unplugged it to try and see all sides of it. Any more advice/tips?
I'll keep at it.

#11 5 years ago

I fixed the scoring problem. I was turning the score motor by hand watching the 1A scoring switch and the drop target control switches and trying to make sure the timing was right. It was essentially impossible to not have 1A and 2C closed at the same time in the position when 2C opens.

Then I noticed that the 1A switch stack was in the long position instead of the short position. Changing that fixed the issue.

I don't remember if I ever had that stack off to better get at the contacts and then might have put it back together wrong. I might have. Maybe I'll blame a previous owner.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-pyramid-scoring-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.