100_1153e.jpg
100_1151e.jpg
100_1152e.jpg
100_1149e.jpg
100_1145e.jpg
100_1288.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Hey everyone,

Just getting started with the pinball hobby and picked up a non-working Mars God of War last week. I studied electronics for a few years in college and figured this would be an interesting little project.

From what I've been reading the first thing to look for on these machines is intact backglass which mine has. The biggest issues I've seen so far are fried high voltage transistors on the driver board that have gotten so hot that the PCB started to burn and melt. Looks like it isn't the first time it happened to the board as someone soldered jumpers to the transistors to replace the burned off PCB traces. Also noticed a Texas Instruments IC has blown its top off although I'm not sure if that is physical damage or from an electrical issue. The main other issues I've seen are the front 4 drop targets are all broken off, someone has put a screw though the playfield from underneath (although it's back behind the pop bumpers and not very visible once I remove the screw). The rubbers are shot and there was a melted coil sitting in the bottom of the machine (there are still a number of coils under there that look original, I'm wondering if those are the culprits that toasted the boards). Also noticed the wall plug has been hacked off for some reason so I may have to do some investigation around the transformers too. Anyone know how well those transformers and other power supply parts hold up to the test of time?

Anyways if anyone could give some good starting points on restoring the machine I would love to hear them!

100_1145e.jpg100_1145e.jpg 100_1149e.jpg100_1149e.jpg 100_1151e.jpg100_1151e.jpg 100_1152e.jpg100_1152e.jpg 100_1153e.jpg100_1153e.jpg 100_1154e.jpg100_1154e.jpg 100_1158e.jpg100_1158e.jpg 100_1159e.jpg100_1159e.jpg 100_1162e.jpg100_1162e.jpg
#2 9 years ago

I cant give advice but I will be watching

#3 9 years ago

Here's a helpful link to start you off:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80

Welcome to the madness.

Steve
System 80, not just a job, it's an adventure

#4 9 years ago

I've compiled a full manual with some extra schematics and adjustments.
Send me your e-mail via PM and I'll send you a copy.

#5 9 years ago

Ok, so I've done a little bit of reading so far and the two biggest debates I'm having at the moment are what replacement boards to go with and what to do with the playfield.

At first I was thinking of going with the Swemmer mpu and driver boards but I've been reading that they are more of a direct copy of the originals just with LED's in there to look fancy. Some of the other boards supposedly have solenoid testers built in and other features which could be nice. Sounds to me like the Pascal board is the way to go since you can eliminate a few connectors as well but part of me is saying to myself yeah but if something goes bad on an all-in-one board you have a pretty expensive piece of scrap PCB.

And for the playfield I'm wondering if the mylar should go or not. You can see in the flipper picture that one of them has actually put a groove in the stuff and then it peeled up above the pop bumpers when someone put a screw through the playfield as well as some edge peeling at the top left.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

#6 9 years ago

There is really no reason why stock,repaired boards wouldn't be as reliable as a ni wumpf or pascal board. Once you fix your coil issues and test the rest, factory boards will work great.
Whatever you do, look into coil problems, connector issues and ground mods before installing any board replacement.
Get it working and playing well before worrying about mylar, rubbers, bulbs etc.

#7 9 years ago

Yep, at this time it's still much cheaper to reuse the old boards if possible and they can be made quite reliable. If you're missing any boards, originals can easily be found and repaired if needed. All of my System 80 games are running perfectly with original boards.

Steve

#8 9 years ago

Looks like a fun project! I vote for original boards as well. They're very easy to work on and I just like the stock look for System 80's.

Quoted from Firebird71:

And for the playfield I'm wondering if the mylar should go or not.

Basically it comes down to whether or not you're doing a full playfield restore or not. If you are, then you'll probably be yanking the mylar, doing touchups and insert repair, then clear. Pictures are kind of vague, but I would probably try to restore this. As long as pulling the mylar doesn't trash the art, it should be easy enough. If you haven't done any homework on this, do it now before you attempt anything. Take your time.

1 month later
#9 8 years ago

100_1279.JPG100_1279.JPG
So I got a bunch of replacement parts in. Switched over most of the stuff I bought except the old orange capacitor on the transformer board. Can't remember my electronics theory all that well anymore but my gut is telling me that orange filter cap is polarity specific despite it having no markings. Green wire is typically negative on these gottlieb machines though correct?

Gave the machine a quick plug in to see if I even had the base lights come up. Managed to trip the 20amp circuit breaker and no sign of life from the pin before that. If I were to guess, I'd say the problem is somewhere on the transformer board but then again I'm really rusty with this type of thing. Any tips on isolating problems like this? Maybe tired transformers?
100_1282.JPG100_1282.JPG
100_1283.JPG100_1283.JPG

#10 8 years ago

In most cases, the transformers are not the problem unless they have been in water. I'd be looking at the bridge rectifiers instead since they tend to degrade in time. Start with the basics by removing all the boards and getting the power supply to where it'll hold without tripping breakers or blowing fiuses when turned on. Once you get that, install the A2 power supply board and get it solid.

Don't try to troubleshoot any of the other boards until you have a good power source. Too many people try to fix the other board symptoms first and they end up wasting time because of connector issues at the power source or other power issue fluctuations giving false symptoms.

Steve
System 80, not just a job, it's an adventiure

#11 8 years ago

Well I made some small progress today. Can plug the thing in without tripping the 20 amp circuit breaker the machine was plugged into.
100_1286.JPG100_1286.JPG
Keeping all the board fuses out for now but at the very least I can see some of the lights on without blowing breakers. I found some power supply rebuild kits for Gottliebs on big daddy, but their site seems semi defunct so not sure if I should try and source the parts elsewhere or not.

Guess tomorrows job will be to start checking voltages down on the playfield power supply then work my way towards the one in the back box

#12 8 years ago

I believe Big Daddy had flood issues and posted about it in an earlier thread. They should be back on line soon.

Steve

#13 8 years ago

Thanks for that info, managed to google it to get the scoop once I knew what I was looking for. Floods are rough, especially when you store stuff for your business downstairs...

So I started checking some voltages around the machine to get a bit more of an idea what's going on. Also, wondering if this is the original power supply board? I thought I remembered reading something about adding LED's to the power supply to see if it's working but this one already has them.

100_1288.JPG100_1288.JPG

Not sure how well this will show up on the computer screen but how do these voltages look to you more experienced people?

scan.jpgscan.jpg

I think the ones that seem the most off to me right now are where I'm reading 30.2v across the DC terminals on the solenoid rectifier bridge which is supposed to be 24v. When I install the fuse F6 for the solenoids I lose most of the lights on the backbox but not sure what that really means yet.

the 4.3v to 4.4v reading across the 5v rail on the backboard power supply seems a little low too. Didn't realize it until now but there does seem to be some heat burns on the power supply board under one of the diodes.

Any thoughts on the voltages?

#14 8 years ago

Looks like the correct A2 power supply to me, says it came from a MGoW. You might want to read through this first. http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Recommended_Updates_and_Repairs_for_the_System_80.2F80A_Power_Supply_Board

The burn marks under the CR7 is normal. Definitely replace the R10 with a 680 ohm 1/2 watt resistor and also the CR7 with a 1N4738 8.2V 1 watt zener diode. I always reflow the solder around all the header pins but sometimes replacement is the only way to go. I doubt the pot on your board is bad, that's the better style. You can adjust the 5VDC with it. Get your power supply set up and solid before looking at other things.

Steve

5 months later
#15 8 years ago

So I got lazy and went with a Pascal board rather than mess around with boards I may never be able to fix. I've forgotten too much from my college days to be bothered to get knee deep in board repair. I've certainly gotten some better results from this board compared to the originals...

IMG_20151208_214319841.jpgIMG_20151208_214319841.jpg

IMG_20151208_213419698_HDR.jpgIMG_20151208_213419698_HDR.jpg

Also, I had someone send a PM asking what the original back glass mounts looked like. Here's a few pics of those:

IMG_20151129_170411844.jpgIMG_20151129_170411844.jpg

IMG_20151129_170427099.jpgIMG_20151129_170427099.jpg

So I've definitely got a lot more work to do on this machine but at the very least the thing is alive to some extent. There is no sound to speak of yet and right now the game just seems to be flipping one solenoid over and over. Any tips on where to go from this stage?

#16 8 years ago

So what was the cause of your power issues?

Remove those clips ASAP and mount the backglass to the door in a similar fashion to Black Hole.... you don't want to break that inner glass!

#17 8 years ago

I'm not sure. I have a feeling the voltages were off that little bit just from old components.

And yeah, I remember mention of getting rid of those inner backglass mounts. I'm leaving it off the machine altogether until I get it running better and find a better design. I remember being told to use a Black Hole style mounting but the only picture I was able to find of the door open was this:

bb5.jpgbb5.jpg

do you basically just wedge the glass into the door frame and screw in some flat steel to clamp it in place? probably throw some rubber between to protect it?

#18 8 years ago

So I got the machine running today! All the switches/sensors in the ball release were buggered up, but I think I have them fine now. The main issues I'm seeing right now are the lower right LCD screen isn't working correctly (You can kind of see it in the last picture I have of the back glass. All the centre portions are lighting up too. Any tips on this?) Also I have no sound yet whatsoever. The variable resistor for its volume doesn't feel very good, so maybe that will be the culprit. From there I'm not quite sure where to look. Also have an issue with the lower drop target bank solenoid. I played one game fine and now it seems to be sticking on something.

I guess now it's just a matter of slowly ironing out the gremlins in the machine. Still good to see the flippers shooting a ball either way!

#19 8 years ago

re: the display not working correctly...first turn the power off (never plug/unplug displays with power on!) and swap the display that has the issues with a known good working one. This will isolate whether it is a display board problem or connector/wiring/pascal board issue.

2 weeks later
#20 8 years ago

Been a little swamped with xmas and new years, but I will definitely give that a shot when I get some more time to tinker with the machine. I managed to get the fourth pop bumper working properly at the very least.

I've got a question for you guys that have one of these machines up and running. What are the triggers on the logic side of the machine to raise and lower the stargate ramp? Mine just sits lowered no matter what and I'm trying to isolate the issue. The other one I'm wondering is how do I get the multiball to activate properly? I can hit all the drop targets and the warbase light starts flasing and then I lock a ball in each of them. Once I've done this though, if I shoot the ball up the lauch warbase lane, the ball will go past the rollover in there and then just get stuck on the right side locked ball. If I hold my finger on top of that right side rollover for ~10 seconds though, the display pops up with hyperforce and will unlock for the multiballs. Is there a switch or something else in the sequence of operation that I'm missing?

#21 8 years ago

If nobody answers your questions, I'll fire up my game and check. Also, check the Sys1-80B club thread, there may be some info you can use in it.

Steve

#22 8 years ago

Wow I guess this game was ahead of its time, I thought JJP was the first to use an LCD screen in a mass produced pinball machine............

This might be your first pinball, but I feel confident it won't be your last.................

Quoted from Firebird71:

So I got the machine running today! All the switches/sensors in the ball release were buggered up, but I think I have them fine now. The main issues I'm seeing right now are the lower right LCD screen isn't working correctly (You can kind of see it in the last picture I have of the back glass. All the centre portions are lighting up too. Any tips on this?) Also I have no sound yet whatsoever. The variable resistor for its volume doesn't feel very good, so maybe that will be the culprit. From there I'm not quite sure where to look. Also have an issue with the lower drop target bank solenoid. I played one game fine and now it seems to be sticking on something.
I guess now it's just a matter of slowly ironing out the gremlins in the machine. Still good to see the flippers shooting a ball either way!

#23 8 years ago

Nice setup you have there Steve. Also... I'm angry at you! I found the System 80 thread and read the most recent set of posts. No all I'll be looking at are my drop targets that aren't quite the right colour! Mine seem to be a far closer match colour wise than yours though, hardly noticeable even side by side.

IMG_20160104_185036746_HDR_(resized).jpgIMG_20160104_185036746_HDR_(resized).jpg

So it looks like my problem with turning on the multiball is that I'm probably missing a part... I watched the TNT video where they do a little bit of gameplay including getting the multiball.

Here's a link if anyone is interested:

If you watch around the 11:00 mark when he gets the multiball activated, the game shoots the ball back up the top whereas mine it will just keep rolling until it gets stuck on the ball lock below. Took a look underneath and I realized what the two marettes likely led to at one point. Anyone able to get a picture of what else is supposed to go along with the rollover here? My Dad works at a steel fabricating place, I have a feeling I'll be making up some CAD drawings for him to laser cut some sort of ball launcher assembly. Can't imagine I will have an easy time finding a proper replacement one...

#24 8 years ago

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1549&picno=37719

Steve at the Pinball resource will have what you need. Looks like your missing the whole lockout coil assembly. I'll guess 20-30$.

Nice first game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-mars-god-of-war-first-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.